AD140TC buzz

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

charlie

Post by charlie » Mon May 12, 2003 4:10 am

i wonder if someone could give me some ideas as to what is causing a buzz from my AD140TC head. i've had it for about 6 months now and i'm running it through an orange 4x12. up until today it never made any noise whatsoever, even at high volumes. today i plugged it in and even at low volumes i'm getting a pretty rank buzz out of it. i tried using different instrument cables, different guitars, different speaker cables, different cabinet, all 3 speaker outs, and tried plugging it into different outlets but nothing helped. any idea as to what would be causing this?
i just gigged with it two days ago and this is the first time i've plugged it in since, could something have happened while i was moving it if it got bumped or something?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Mon May 12, 2003 9:06 pm

Microphonic tube, perhaps? Hmmmmmm.....guitar pickups?
Could be several things.

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue May 13, 2003 4:06 am

a tried different guitars and it still buzzes so it's definately not pickups. how would i check if it is a microphonic tube?
also, the buzzing doesn't start until i plug a cable into the input. could it just be a screwy input jack?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue May 13, 2003 12:03 pm

1) Unplug the amp

2) unscrew the back off of the head

3) unscrew the metal tube retainers from the smaller (preamp) tubes

4) plug the amp back in and warm it up

5) with a WOODEN pencil gently tap each of the tubes- if one makes a sound like a microphone picking up the pencil or the buzz gets worse, that tube is probably the culprit.

I have had my preamp tubes go in my AD140TC head myself and while it wasn't a buzz, it was a constant ring sort of thing...

Good luck! Billy

charlie

Post by charlie » Wed May 14, 2003 4:25 am

thanks for the tip billy, i tried that out but i didn't get sound out of any of the tubes. i changed all the pre-amp tubes anyway, but it still buzzed. so i changed the power amp tubes as well and still it's buzzing. any other ideas as to what it could be?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 14, 2003 12:10 pm

Call the dealer where you got it.... did you get it new?

If so, there's a warranty on the head and you should have them get it fixed. If it isn't tubes, it's something else and you'll need it fixed right. I had a problem with my head (blew fuses- non tube related....) and they took care of it and my dealer had said that there was a one year warranty. So, let them deal with it since it should be a free repair.

BTW, I got mine back and it's been fine ever since- just gobs and gobs of tone. Billy

Meole
Orange Master

Post by Meole » Wed May 14, 2003 12:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>thanks for the tip billy, i tried that out but i didn't get sound out of any of the tubes. i changed all the pre-amp tubes anyway, but it still buzzed. so i changed the power amp tubes as well and still it's buzzing. any other ideas as to what it could be? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Is there anything that could be causing interference. T.V., CB radio, power lines, R/C vehicles, etc.?
Tubes can pick-up interference from a lot of electric devices, maybe something is nearby.