Orange AD30 Reliability issues

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

p90rules

Orange AD30 Reliability issues

Post by p90rules » Wed May 05, 2010 2:56 pm

I'm currently looking for an amp & an AD30 single channel head has appeared on my radar. I've heard mixed reports. Some say they're great, but I've also heard things about reliability. I don't know either way, so I'm checking this out with you guys.

Cheers :D

nguideau
Orange Master

Re: Orange AD30 Reliability issues

Post by nguideau » Wed May 05, 2010 3:44 pm

I've heard things about their reliability... that they're very reliable! :)

If you've heard any specific complaints or rumors, I know there are plenty of technically adept people on the board that would be happy to address those points, and give you a candid response as to whether or not they feel the complaints/rumors have merit, and if you should be concerned.

Generally speaking, I would just say to keep in mind that most people only decide to scream loudly about their amp (or any product, for that matter), when it fails to deliver what they wanted or expected. It's a vocal minority, which gives it the appearance of being the majority. This makes it difficult to trust online reviews and even music shop critics.

And specific to tube amplifiers, don't forget that guitar tube amplification is a technology that's always been a bit abused -- we tend to use tube amps to create havoc and make noise, so when discussing this technology in a guitar amp when compared to something like a hi-fi, yeah, there will be more problems. The short way to say this is that guitar amps aren't really "consumer electronics," like your iPod, television, toaster oven, or microwave. They aren't meant to be "set it and forget it" appliances.

Whether it be from cranking the volume and thus pushing the tubes, or whether it be from the fact that guitar amps are often lugged around in the back of rickety cars and vans and subjected to beer and whiskey and large crowds... the world of a guitar amplifier is likely going to be dangerous.
- Nathan

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Wed May 05, 2010 3:58 pm

i don't know much about the reputation of the single channel AD30s, but the HTC model has a reputation for teriffic reliability. the one i owned i never had a single problem with
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Have a twinchannel for a few years. Had to change the rectifier tube once, but that was the only thing that ever broke. Reliability is NOT an issue with these amps!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed May 05, 2010 8:13 pm

Had a problem about 6 years ago with my AD30R... turned out to be a dying preamp valve. Not a squeak since.

Treat your amp well, and it will give you years of hassle-free service.

If it's a single channel AD30, i'd grab it. Great amps...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 am

Had a couple of problems with mine a few years back, once it was something to do with the foot switch and another time it died at a gig due to a tube going. I think a lot of 'reliability' reports of valve amps are coloured by people who seem to forget that ALL valve amps are susceptible to failure due to a tube going, nothing you can do about that! I'd say the AD30 is a very reliable amp on the whole.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

p90rules

Post by p90rules » Mon May 10, 2010 8:12 am

Well, I went to try the AD30 out on Sat & I think it's going to be a very happy union.
It gave me the sound I'm looking for. I'm getting the AD30 + £300 for some gear I rarely use.

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon May 10, 2010 5:29 pm

Hope it works out for you :)

It's strange really, there have been quite a number of people asking about supposed reliability issues with AD30s - nobody ever cites any sources to back this up! I'd be interested to see some links, since on this forum at least most of us agree they're reliable, solid amps!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Mon May 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:Hope it works out for you :)

It's strange really, there have been quite a number of people asking about supposed reliability issues with AD30s - nobody ever cites any sources to back this up! I'd be interested to see some links, since on this forum at least most of us agree they're reliable, solid amps!
Could be people searching the forum for terms like "reliability" or "problems" and finding some of the old posts like these:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 111#p45799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon May 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Teddy, I couldn't disagree more.

These amps are buggy and un-gigable. In fact, even practicing with one can result in bad tone and even numbness of fingers. That being said, I am willing step up and relieve anyone in the Colorado area of these unworthy amps free of charge.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am

Sooner wrote:Could be people searching the forum for terms like "reliability" or "problems" and finding some of the old posts like these:

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1722" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 111#p45799" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guess I didn't look hard enough ;) That said, those thread are 5-6 years old...
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

twistofcain
Tiny Terror

Post by twistofcain » Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 am

All tube amps are going to have issues at some point. There are SOME tube amps that are more susceptible to failure, but Orange doesn't seem to be one of those companies. They're built quite well.

If you do happen to buy a "dud" of an amp, and you bought it new, I'm sure you'd have no troubles exchanging it, or getting it fixed with the warranty.

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 pm

i have an ad30htc and don't baby it by any means. I don't really abuse it much either, but i have never had any problems with it. I can trust that it will work every time I plug it in as long as I plug it in right.
Monty

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue May 11, 2010 5:03 pm

Sooner wrote:

Could be people searching the forum for terms like "reliability" or "problems" and finding some of the old posts like these:

This was part of my point. When people have problems, they tend to be vocal. When things work fine, they don't say much. And when people are searching the web to find out if there are any issues with a product they are considering purchasing, they tend to search for something like "[product name] problems." So, what do you suppose that type of search will come up with? I'm guessing it'll come up with reviews of people having problems!

Let's face it. Tube amps are fickle and weird. I'm sure all of us bought our first tube amp expecting it to work like our toaster over or our 20 year old microwave.
- Nathan

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue May 11, 2010 5:16 pm

I think immediate reliability and long term reliability are two different things. In 30 years we'll see how good these modern amps really were built. I'm not making any assumptions either way.