Suggestions for a new acoustic?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Suggestions for a new acoustic?

Post by blacklight_uk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:03 am

Hi guys, long time no see :wink:

I'm looking for a new acoustic guitar, something with a neutral, maybe slightly mellow tone that's going to record well.

I don't really want to spend any more than £300 so I'd be willing to buy used. I'll mainly be using it for recording demos to send to band mates and for songwriting. It doesn't need to sound amazing, just better than the F310 I've been using :mrgreen:

Would really appreciate any suggestions you have. I have a few shops nearby that I can visit, but it'd be nice if I had some ideas first.

P.S. Hope everyone is doing ok :)
Josh

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Re: Suggestions for a new acoustic?

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:14 am

That's a pretty limited budget. Look for Alverez, a used Takamine, a used Sigma ...

In that price range, expect it to sound okay, but not spectacular.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:22 am

Hey Bob.

Yeah, I know. I can't really justify a full blown splurge at the moment though, especially because it's only going to be used for recording demos. I could go to 500 if it's going to make a big difference? I know very little about the acoustic market, having played electric almost exclusively.

"OK" is fine by me. As long as it's fun to play and doesn't sound like a bee in a box. Thanks for the suggestions, will check those out.
Josh

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:25 am

I'm not an expert, but in that sort of price range the Yam FG720 or FG730 is hard to beat. Solid top, nice action and sounds cool. My singer has the 12 string 720 which sounds great... plays great and stays in tune!
:D
Mark

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:38 am

Josh

Trawl through eBay for a used Faith Venus. You should be able to get one for round about £300.

I've recommended them to 3 people who have all bought one now, including my brother. They sound really good, and are a heck of a lot of tone for the money. I'm looking into getting one as a backup to my £2k Eggle.

Seriously, trust me on this...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

bjmort

Post by bjmort » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:49 am

I reakon Matons are the best to record.

Maton M225

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:51 am

The lower priced Simon & Patrick acoustics are lovely sounding for the money, and they are very well built with superb attention to detail. Check them out. You will get a very nice example used for your lower budget and a new one for your upper.
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:32 pm

I've actually got a Simon & Patrick cedar SP6 at the moment - it's a nice guitar, and a good one for the money, but seriously, the Faith Venus blew mine away.

I had one of those moments when I picked up the guitar I told my brother to buy and thought "I wish i'd bought this first"...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Sat May 01, 2010 1:41 am

Joe, I do trust you, and you're not the first to mention the Faith. My old guitar teacher recommended the venus too. Now I'm too curious not to give it a shot :shock: Off to dolphin music in Liverpool to try out a load tomorrow, looking forward to it. I doubt they'll have the Faith but I know they have a line of Simon and Patrick acoustics, which I'm keen to try too.

What about the Taylor Big Baby? Anybody tried one? I'm currently doing session vocals for a band and their guitarist recommended it.

Don't see too many Matons around these parts, though I would love to try one. I'm also looking to try out some of the Yamahas tomorrow. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I forgot how great this forum is. It's good to be back :)
Josh

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 01, 2010 7:15 am

The Big Baby was another that I picked up whilst I was guitar shopping with my brother who bought the Faith. I know Andy H swears by them, but I wasn't particularly impressed. It was OK, but my honest opinion was "trading on the name." In a lower ballpark to the 'lesser' brands that were priced similarly, and didn't feel as well put together as standard Taylors.
Joe

G(sus) saves

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat May 01, 2010 11:59 am

Check out the Epiphone J-200 clones.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat May 01, 2010 3:36 pm

irish_admiral wrote:The Big Baby was another that I picked up whilst I was guitar shopping with my brother who bought the Faith. I know Andy H swears by them, but I wasn't particularly impressed. It was OK, but my honest opinion was "trading on the name." In a lower ballpark to the 'lesser' brands that were priced similarly, and didn't feel as well put together as standard Taylors.
Well I do like mine a lot and it records brilliantly. But "something with a neutral, maybe slightly mellow tone", well it isn't really that. Though there is a reasonable amount of bass for such a small bodied guitar it is far from mellow. Unless you use a really heavy guage plectrum anyway - amazing the difference that makes with acoustics. (I like to buy various weights of a series of picks and use whichever gives closest to the sound I'm looking for at any given point in time. I don't stick to any one type / guage at all.)

On Taylors generally, they tend to be at the less mellow end sonically. And there are some of us who actually prefer the inexpensive no frills ones... :o

Certainly worth a try though - you might like it and it is certainly in your price range. FWIW David Gilmour used a Taylor (standard = small) Baby on his most recent studio album, so I'm not the only one who likes cheap Taylors... :wink:

I haven't been trying out acoustics in the shops for a while myself though so can't really give you any fresh pointers I'm afraid.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat May 01, 2010 8:02 pm

I think that's been my experience also, Andy. I've found Taylors to be quite bright as guitars... the bad ones are toppy and characterless, the good ones are lively and have some depth to them, but the good ones tend to be the expensive ones. The only Taylors i've come across that I liked were the concert models from the 700 and 900 series, and the Grand Auditorium ones. All of which are fairly pricey. And I generally preferred other guitars at that price point.

YMMV...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Sat May 01, 2010 8:40 pm

riffmonster wrote:I'm not an expert, but in that sort of price range the Yam FG720 or FG730 is hard to beat. Solid top, nice action and sounds cool. My singer has the 12 string 720 which sounds great... plays great and stays in tune!
:D
Yep, a +1 from me!

I have an FG730s and it's absolutely fantastic, especially at its price point. Like Mark said, it's got a great action and it really does sound very good, way above its price point IMO. Definitely worth checking one out.
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image