AD30HTC or AD140HTC?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

AD30HTC or AD140HTC?

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 am

I keep reading mixed reviews. Some people say the 140 is nicer because it has way more headroom. I've also read about the 30 being way too quiet. Others say that the 30 is plenty loud enough and that the 140 is ONLY for if you're going to be playing in stadiums. I've seen video reviews of people playing the 140 in their rooms and in guitar shops to show what it can do.

The 140 has sounded great to me in every instance. I'm trying to decide on a new amp and it's narrowed down to these two. I guess I'm just wanting some input with people who have toured with both. Is the 140 really too loud? Is the 30 too quiet?

What I'm thinking is that I will get the AD30HTC with a 4x12. Later I will get another 30 and another 4x12 for my time based effects. I'm not quite sure though. This isn't just for playing at home. I plan to tour with whatever setup I get.

Also, if one AD140HTC is way too loud, how come Omar Rodriguez Lopez uses four of them for TMV shows?
Attachments
dreamrigmarsvolta2pq.jpg
dreamrigmarsvolta2pq.jpg (69.22 KiB) Viewed 4160 times
http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We’re all becoming fluent in arbitrary tongues
That never got the message through in the first place
As if anyone knew, knew in the first place
Not in the first place

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Re: AD30HTC or AD140HTC?

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:35 am

gabrielstigmatic wrote:I keep reading mixed reviews. Some people say the 140 is nicer because it has way more headroom. I've also read about the 30 being way too quiet. Others say that the 30 is plenty loud enough and that the 140 is ONLY for if you're going to be playing in stadiums. I've seen video reviews of people playing the 140 in their rooms and in guitar shops to show what it can do.

The 140 has sounded great to me in every instance. I'm trying to decide on a new amp and it's narrowed down to these two. I guess I'm just wanting some input with people who have toured with both. Is the 140 really too loud? Is the 30 too quiet?

What I'm thinking is that I will get the AD30HTC with a 4x12. Later I will get another 30 and another 4x12 for my time based effects. I'm not quite sure though. This isn't just for playing at home. I plan to tour with whatever setup I get.

Also, if one AD140HTC is way too loud, how come Omar Rodriguez Lopez uses four of them for TMV shows?
It's hard to understand why Omar does many of the things he does. I know he uses a lot of effects, but his live collection is quite excessive as well. Also, there is a good chance that he only plugs into one of the amps and the rest are for looks.

I have an AD30htc and it has never let me down volume or tone wise with just a 212. I think with a 412 you would be moving a lot more air and would get more volume as well. I think that if you are playing a large club, unmiced, you should still be fine. I have played bars that hold 80+ people and have had more than enough volume not turned up very high. (sorry, my band is noobz so we haven't had any larger gigs so I can't comment on that)

Also, as far as I understand, the AD140 sounds somewhat different than the 30 on some levels. For one, there is less clean breakup (I would imagine).

Hope these thoughts help.
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

hooty

Post by hooty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:38 am

If you are playing in a loud band and nead some clean sounds the AD30 isn't loud enough. And I agree that this two amps sound different. I for myself like the AD30 a lot but use two of them parallel to get a bit more clean headroom.

Cheers,
hooty

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

Depends if you're regularly gigging big venues. I had a AD30 and it was loud, it had the tendency to be a bit clean for what I wanted at the volumes I used. In my opinion the AD30HTC is a very loud amp, the AD140 is VERY loud indeed, I couldn't seriously consider anyone using it properly in their bedroom!

I currently use a 18w Matamp, that's not quiet I can tell you :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:33 pm

What the others said. It's not about to loud or quiet, it's about the tone at your bandvolume. If you need really loud cleans and lots of punchy bass get the 140, if you like dirty, compressed powertube saturation get the 30

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:09 pm

gabrielstigmatic wrote:I keep reading mixed reviews. Some people say the 140 is nicer because it has way more headroom. I've also read about the 30 being way too quiet. Others say that the 30 is plenty loud enough and that the 140 is ONLY for if you're going to be playing in stadiums. I've seen video reviews of people playing the 140 in their rooms and in guitar shops to show what it can do.

Haven't read your replies but here's my input on the matter.
All OMEC Oranges are quiet compared to other brands of the same power. This doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, it's just how it is.
OMEC Oranges have really good master volumes.
All tube amps over 1 watt are too loud for home use.
The AD140 is not 4,5 times louder than the AD30, but rather about 10dB or so (People with mathematical skills might correct me on this). It is noticable for sure, but not as much as numbers may appear. The biggest difference though is the amount of headroom and bass response. The more watts, the more headroom and thicker bass.

Why is Omar using 4 AD140's? Because he wants to look cool!
Have you seen the stack behind Angus Young?
It's a wall of Marshall 412 cabs. None of them are in use. Behind the stage, his guitar is hooked up to a 30 watt Marshall combo.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Gabriel, are looking for TMV tones? (Or ATDI even?) Well its a possibility that he uses them as there own channels. TMV recordings have some really crazy effects and layering going on and it wouldn't surprise me if he used loopers and delay on seperate amps than his main one. However, I wouldn't worry about what they are using. They are a big band, and play big venues. They can be LOUD.

However, if you look at his rig in ATDI, he only used one amp there. So maybe it is just for looks? But then again, why four heads? Its usually the stacks that are for looks.

What it comes down to is how loud you play at, and will it do what you want at that volume? So, how loud is that?
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

hooty

Post by hooty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Orphin wrote:
gabrielstigmatic wrote:
The AD140 is not 4,5 times louder than the AD30, but rather about 10dB or so (People with mathematical skills might correct me on this). It is noticable for sure, but not as much as numbers may appear.
To become two times louder you need 10 times of the power... The difference between the AD30 and the AD140 is round about 5 dB but it is noticable for sure as misterMagoo said. You have to consider that the degree of efficiency of different speakers has a range between 96 dB (Greenbacks) and (Alnico Gold and Vintage 30) which is nearly the same...

Cheers,
hooty

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Thank you for all of your input, I think I will go with getting two AD30HTC's. Nah, I'm not looking to copy anyone's tone. I feel I have my own voice and need to express it a much different way than Omar. Though I've heard both him and Thomas Erak use that amp and it sounds damn good to me. By hearing their tone, I can audibly hear what it will sound like when I play it and get it tweaked to my liking.

I'm not sure what era that pic of his guitar rig is from. But I was thinking about this and he probably uses one amp for his normal signal and the other one for either time-based or modular effects. I'm pretty sure they have another guitarist touring with them so the other two are probably fo the other guitarist. I do like At the Drive-In and the Mars Volta, but I'm influenced by way too much music to try and emulate anyone. I'm really excited to play the AD30HTC, it will be epic.
Last edited by gabrielstigmatic on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not in the first place

hooty

Post by hooty » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:16 pm

gabrielstigmatic wrote: Thank you for all of your input, I think I will go with getting two AD30HTC's.
Good choice...

Cheers,
hooty

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:41 am

When I saw tmv in Baltimore recently , he was only using one head and one cab, the tolexless rig he was using in atdi. The 4xAD140 rig was for with rhcp and soad I think.

Get a thunderverb50. Solves all problems.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Though I play metal as well, I much prefer the tone of the AD Series to the Thunderverb series. So for now I'm sticking with the AD30HTC. When I have lots of extra money I will most likely get a Thunderverb as well.
Last edited by gabrielstigmatic on Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not in the first place

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:38 pm

the AD30 is the perfect amp for people who want to play traditional rock...but it is definitely loud. it freaking cranks. don't be fooled

its not well suited to lower tuned playing though...and it lacks features like reverb and loop. it also doesn't have sparkly cleans at high volumes
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:48 pm

The ad30 at my shop has awesome cleans but a fizzy, unattractive od. I would love to retube it and take it home, as I know that's not its typical impression.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 am

Yea, I'm not much for lower tunings. I stay in good ol' standard tuning or drop the low E to D. I go between psychedelic rock, post-punk, and math metal kind of stuff. I don't normally try and "genre label" music that I play, but in this instance it is useful in an attempt to communicate my style. I figure that the AD30HTC is my best option because I don't really play music with pristine cleans.

If anything I find really clear cleans kind of annoying for my tone. That's why I got rid of my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The cleans were too clear and ringy, whereas I like a kind of underlying crunch to mine. I'm really glad I'm getting all sorts of perspectives on this amp because it's feeling more and more like what I want.

Also, I feel that I can get a really good reverb from the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail. I A/B'ed it with the reverb on the Deluxe and I kind of liked the EH reverb better. I never use the FX loop anyway, I'm probably going to have a separate amp for all of my time-based and modular effects. Youngblood, you really didn't like the OD on this amp? I've always heard that's the best part about it. I'm guessing I'll probably dig it.

Not in the first place