orange cab

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

orange owner
Tiny Terror

Post by orange owner » Tue May 06, 2003 1:24 am

Hello fellow orange users, Can someone tell me how much a new orange 4x12 cab goes for? I found a guy whose selling a used but good as new orange 4x12 for six fifty. Is this a good deal? Also, Once I do get the cab, I have a friend with a vintage orange 4x12 who is considering trading me for the "new" cab. Well, I guess what I'm trying to ask is what would YOU do? Keep the new, or go vintage?

There is only ONE god in my eyes and HIS name is Cliff Cooper.
MODEL-OR 120

charlie

Post by charlie » Tue May 06, 2003 5:05 am

i would definately go with the vintage...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue May 06, 2003 4:27 pm

Well, the Orange forum doesn't allow the posting of new prices so I would suggest calling or emailing a dealer- however, I myself would probably go with the vintage cab IF it's in really good shape- though these things are built like a tank- the REALLY old Orange cabs have a small rectangular cutout for handles- newer ones (70's) have the metal handles with chrome grabbar. Someone said somewhere that the new cabs don't have the center post that goes from the front to the back of the cab like the old ones have but I don't know that for a fact- I'd look though. New cabs have Celestion Vintage 30's which are a speaker that I love! and the older ones have Fanes or, most likely in the US, Emminence which don't sound bad but I prefer the Vintage 30's.

And cosmetics are important too- clean grille cloth, tolex in good shape, etc.

Billy

Davis
Tiny Terror

Post by Davis » Tue May 06, 2003 8:50 pm

I'd go with the vintage as well. Although, I'd probably change the speakers to Celestion Vintage 30's too. I haven't found a better speaker yet! You could cut your own 2x2 and stick it in the cabinet if it's missing the front to back piece. I did that on a Marshall 4x12 cabinet I owned.

orange owner
Tiny Terror

Post by orange owner » Wed May 07, 2003 12:43 am

Here it is fellas, While the cab I'm buying is as good as new, the vintage cab is in bad shape. The tolex has cuts so bad you can see bare wood, it has been painted black at one time, the grille cloth is very loose and just hangs there. I've been told that it has CTS speakers in it. Have you heard of this? I know the new cab is cool an' all, but my friend has the real deal! It's a 70's model too with golden handles on the sides. What should I do fellas?

There is only ONE god in my eyes and HIS name is Cliff Cooper.
MODEL-OR 120

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed May 07, 2003 5:30 am

Well, forget the vintage cab IMHO. If it's in that bad a shape, then it could have been slammed around as well, meaning that the dovetail joints that hold the sides together could have taken a beating, too. You don't need random rattles or buzzes from the cabinet because of loose joints that would be a pain to fix. So I'd opt for the new cab then!

Edited by - bclaire on 07 May 2003 12:01:01