AD30HTC... What cab?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

AD30HTC... What cab?

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 pm

So I sold my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Combo amp and all of my effects pedals and I'm buying an Orange AD30HTC used from a dude on Craigslist. I know that the 2x12 16 ohm speakers are the orange cabs that are recommended. I was just going to go with 2 of those, but they're a bit expensive. After buying an amp for $1,250 that's already a kick in the balls for me. I've never dealt with cabs or heads because I've always had that Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

I'm looking for a decent sounding cab that isn't going to cost me another $1,000. Any suggestions? I play psychedelic rock/experimental music and I play a PRS Custom 22.
http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We’re all becoming fluent in arbitrary tongues
That never got the message through in the first place
As if anyone knew, knew in the first place
Not in the first place

jizzle123
Orange Hero

Re: AD30HTC... What cab?

Post by jizzle123 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:53 am

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i know somebody would have said it if i didnt :P

"I think our God isn't God if he fits inside our heads"

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:43 am

Shyea dude, thanks! Do does anyone on the forum have any recordings of what and AD30HTC sounds like through an avatar 4x12? I may even get 2 4x12s if they sound as nice as they look.

Arg, I meant to post ^this^ response here. Feel free to delete that thread titled "Mur". Sorry about that.
http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not in the first place

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 am

Has anyone here heard of Dino Guitar Cabinets? I saw them on a list of cab makers and they looked like a really cool company. They're Italian, when I was in Italy I saw great craftsmanship in many businesses. They also have a cool little brachiosaurus symbol on the middle of their cabs. I still haven't figured out their prices. I tried to email them twice, it's only been a few days though.

Not in the first place

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:34 am

gabrielstigmatic wrote:Shyea dude, thanks! Do does anyone on the forum have any recordings of what and AD30HTC sounds like through an avatar 4x12? I may even get 2 4x12s if they sound as nice as they look.

Arg, I meant to post ^this^ response here. Feel free to delete that thread titled "Mur". Sorry about that.
Actually, oddly enough: http://epigramsandarrows.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its a strat into a AD30htc into avatar 212 with a Heritage G12h and a celestion blue

FWIW I have had this cab and an avatar 412 and loved both.
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:01 pm

I love my AD30HTC with my Orange PPC212 Closed back...
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:08 pm

The Avatars have been pretty well received in general, though you might want to think about what speakers you have in it.

A lot of guys love the Vintage 30s for dirty tones, but they're not great for clean, so a G12H and Vintage 30 mix is often used.

I'd avoid Greenbacks with this amp.

I personally use Celestion Century Vintage speakers - they're halfway between a Vintage 30 and a Celestion Blue. Good dirty tones with the nasal midhump smoothed out, but a much sweeter clean. Plus they're about 6 or 7 pounds lighter per speaker.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Can the AD30HTC handle two 4x12's btw? I know close to zilch about heads and cabs. I just want the loudest/best sounding possible setup that this amp can handle.
Last edited by gabrielstigmatic on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not in the first place

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:02 am

Sure, as long as each 412 is wired for 16 ohms total load for each cab.

Why do you want the loudest setup?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:54 am

Because I'm going to be playing some shows and my drummer is a really hard hitter. I mean, it's not like he doesn't have dynamics. He's a jazz drummer but he also listens to a lot of metal as do I. When he does come in loud, it's really damned loud. So, I need a little extra juice.

Not in the first place

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:41 am

the ad30 could handle two cabs no prob. get some decently efficient speakers then if you want loud, but i'm sure that you'll get your volume with 1 412 - i like the greenbacks with my TT, but my buddy had a ppc412 with his HTC and it sounded great for what we were doing. the h30/v30 mix isn't a bad idea either.

what about warehouse guitar speakers? they make some great speakers that are quite similar to the celestions.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:57 am

gabrielstigmatic wrote:Because I'm going to be playing some shows and my drummer is a really hard hitter. I mean, it's not like he doesn't have dynamics. He's a jazz drummer but he also listens to a lot of metal as do I. When he does come in loud, it's really damned loud. So, I need a little extra juice.
I'm pretty sure you should only need one cab, volume-wise.

The main thing is to ensure you can get the speakers up high (or if it was a combo, tilt it back) as otherwise the sound will be hitting your ankles. So basically, if you have a full stack, the bottom cab is pretty redundant for you.

So basically, i'd only get one cab, and would consider either getting a slant 412, or a standard 212 and putting it on a flightcase or crate to give it some elevation.

A healthy AD and 212 cab kicks out a LOT of volume when you crank up the master volume, so i'd probably just try that before shelling out for the 412 cab(s). The cabs are very heavy, so your back will thank you...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Ollie_Jacques

Post by Ollie_Jacques » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Dude, go for the 4x12 as i have to crank my Ad30 to the max with a 2x12. once the volume gets past 7 the sound only gets a little bit lowder, but more aggressive and compressed (This is a good good thing though).

Useing the Ad30 with a 4x12 gives a higher percived volume and that should be fine for your situation. I found having the top speakers angled is even better for hearing your self too.

Its a great amp mate you will love it.

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm

Thanks man, I'll most likely go with one 4x12 now. I appreciate everyone's input! I can't wait to see what this thing is going to sound like through my new Orange AD30HTC!
Attachments
Photo on 2010-04-01 at 23.20 #2.jpg
Photo on 2010-04-01 at 23.20 #2.jpg (104.91 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

Not in the first place

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 am

Yeah. Get a platform of sorts for high perceived volume. Milk crates or something. Youll love your sound so much more and wont have to fight to be heard. I'm using the top of my road case currently:
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.