Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Dave666
Orange Hero

New on the forum

Post by Dave666 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:38 am

Hi,

I'm new here on the Orange forum.
I'm a Marshall player to this date. I have 2 Marshallheads (VintageModern and JCM800), but I was never that satisfied on my tone 'till I bought myself a Orange PPC412, man, that cab is awesome...
I'm selling almost allmy other cabs right now, if you don't use it, lose it...

I mainly play old school death metal and doom metal
I'm looking to buy a Orange amp, but I don't know where to start.
So, maybe anyone can tell me which Orange amp will suit me best?
Maybe the Rocker 30 or the AD30?

Thx a lot
Cheers
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Wired
Orange Master

Re: New on the forum

Post by Wired » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:10 am

allo and welcome!

The two amps your looking at are usually sought after for the complete opposite end of the spectrum from doom and death metal amps. I personally think the 800 and the VM with the Orange cab would be better suited (I miss my VM soooo much! lol)

But if you were going to go the Orange amp route, and you should! I would recommend the Rockerverb 50 or 100, or the Thunderverb series. They got more gain on tap, not to mention gain thats more voiced for the tone your looking for.

The AD series is a lot more classic rock, blues, and alternative rock sounding. It can get quite heavy with the right pedals, but on it's own it can get "almost there" territory. I personally think the AD30 was my fav Orange amp of the pre-2009 lineup and I got some pretty heavy tones with it using an Emma Reezafratzitz as my distortion pedal of choice.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:14 am

the AD140, def. its out of production, but you can find them used, That or a vintage OR80 or OR120. Use a nice 35db boost in the front. doom for days
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 am

orange is awesome for stoner and doom metal tones, but you will have to go for higher wattage heads, especially if you downtune. i don't think anything below 100 watts will give you enough bass response. i have rockerverb 50 and although it is a great amp it lacks a bit in the bass territory (i tune to C)...this is where my or120 comes in. consider amps like rockerverb 100, thunderverb 200, or120, or80 (vintage or reissue), ad140...
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Thx for the quick replys

Ok, we tune down to B, so heavy it is.
I found a AD140 but it's a bit over my budget...
I've tested the rockerverb series before, the clean channel didn't convince me at all (I like a good clean sound also...) and the OD channel sounded a bit flat IMO.
But that was through a Marshall cab with Greenbacks, I should test one through a Orange cab, I know...

The OR80 or OR120's are hard to find around here, I found one, but the guy asked 2500euros... way to much...
Is the Matamp GT Retro a great alternative to those OR series?
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:18 pm

well i don't know for how much ad140s go these days but they should be cheaper than new rockerverbs and thunderverbs. i'm surprised you didn't like the rockerverb you tried. are you sure you want an Orange? i find they're cleans decent but not terrific, but the OD channel is a beast. try a thunderverb also...they have a bit better cleans in my opinion. and definitely play those amps through orange cabs...it's a totally different story. i don't know what they put in those cabs but they're the best sounding cabs ever.

vintage ORs get pretty expensive yes, especially if in mint condition...but yeah, 2500 euros is too much. try to find 90's reissues...they're cheaper.

oh, and one more thing...orange are not classic metal amps...you can get great old school heavy and thrash metal sounds with thunderverbs and maybe rockerverbs, but i'm not sure if you'll be able to get to death metal territory. doom and stoner they do beautifully.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:45 pm

TV200 (if it fits your budget).

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:26 pm

AD140!!! Cleans for miles, Doom for days!!! adjust your budget.
I'd bet the Matamp reissue is pretty nice.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 am

Oh there's you problem, trying with the marshall greenbacks. Fantastic speakers, but I found in my experience the Greenbacks don't work with Oranges very well... Vintage 30's or Vintage Century's are the way to go, especially with an Orange cab.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet