OT: Vox Amp

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

onewaycpr
Orange Master

OT: Vox Amp

Post by onewaycpr » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:39 pm

So my dad wants to sell his super old Vox Essex Bass amp. Its solid state and needs a good cleaning and tune up. The tone knob doesn't seem to be working right now. Gotta sell some of the stuff we don't use to upgrade the studio. My camera is broke but here are pics of what it looks like.

Here is a shot of one from the front.

Top Controls

How much does this thing run? Can't find any on eBay or any info on the web. Saw a couple CL adds out there but ours is not in great condition.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: OT: Vox Amp

Post by a.hun » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi there,

Sorry, really don't know about the market value, but if the speakers are the original bass version alnico 'Bulldogs' and in good nick then they alone will be worth something to the right buyer.

Some good info on the amp here:
http://www.voxshowroom.com/equipment/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(See the 'US Vox Amplifiers: 1965 - 1971' section about half way down for basic spec and owners manual.)

Options are to sell 'as is' or to get it properly serviced and sell as fully working. If someone only wanted it for the speakers (likely!!!) then just make sure they aren't blown.

Good luck with the studio upgrade. :)

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 am

If it helps, a shop in Kelowna, BC was selling one of these in near mint condition (no rips on the tolex, but it obviously had a beer spilt on it once) for $450 Canadian two years ago...

They might be more sought after by Vox buffs, which would demand a higher price than you would get on Kijiji, Ebay, Craiglists, or your local music shops.... so I'd try a place like gbase.com or Vox amp forums (even though I'm a Vox nut, I know of none....sorry)

You could also try the Gretsch forums... they got a love for older Vox gear.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

mysteron09

Post by mysteron09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 pm

The Essex isn't very desirable to the serious Vox collector. At best they're worth about $500. The Essex was one of the amps made by Thomas Organ under license from Jennings Musical Industries in England. Most of those were designed in-house with no input from JMI. The Super Beatle was a notable exception to this - dongle-narf Denny, the designer of most of the legendary English Vox amps did consult fairly closely with Thomas Organ on the Super Beatle's design and sound for obvious reasons.