Just Bought a DT now I need a Cab????

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mole

Re: Just Bought a DT now I need a Cab????

Post by Mole » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 pm

Well I would obviously be practising in my room/living room etc, but i would also want to be able to small to mediumish gigs with if it the need arises.

Which would be suited to them. I would assume for a small space the OB would be better but in a larger space more directionality would be useful?
Orange Duel Terror/ Gibson SG Special Faded/ EH Big Muff/ Boss OS-2/ Dunlop Cry Baby.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:24 pm

Mole wrote:Well I would obviously be practising in my room/living room etc, but i would also want to be able to small to mediumish gigs with if it the need arises.

Which would be suited to them. I would assume for a small space the OB would be better but in a larger space more directionality would be useful?
Depends if you mic or not. Also there are so many factors for directivity and sound of a cabinet, I have the AD30 open back combo and it's very directional.

Mole

Post by Mole » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:29 pm

Bensen wrote:
Mole wrote:Well I would obviously be practising in my room/living room etc, but i would also want to be able to small to mediumish gigs with if it the need arises.

Depends if you mic or not. Also there are so many factors for directivity and sound of a cabinet, I have the AD30 open back combo and it's very directional.
Hmmm interesting, I think unless i find a nice 2x12 for cheaper I will go for the PPC212-OB because the closed back is out of my price range at the moment.
Orange Duel Terror/ Gibson SG Special Faded/ EH Big Muff/ Boss OS-2/ Dunlop Cry Baby.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Mole wrote:Hmmm interesting, I think unless i find a nice 2x12 for cheaper I will go for the PPC212-OB because the closed back is out of my price range at the moment.
You won't regret :D

Mole

Post by Mole » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:46 pm

I've been looking around the internet and have come across a Marsh*al JMC1922 2x12 for about the same price....peoples views?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Mole wrote:I've been looking around the internet and have come across a Marsh*al JMC1922 2x12 for about the same price....peoples views?
Just to save time, I'll tell you that most people on here would consider the G12T-75 speakers as sounding a bit like poo compared to the Vintage 30s. I don't know for sure that the 1922 cab has them, so you should find out. You may like them, so try them (and anything else you are interested in) if possible before buying.

jrsdws
Tiny Terror

Post by jrsdws » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Mole - sent you a pm

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:29 pm

As someone else mentioned, check out Avatar Speakers as well, on their site and ebay.

I got a cab from them for cheap and it sounds excellente! Solidly built, too. And you can get just about any option you want.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

drewfromutah
Rocker

Post by drewfromutah » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:48 pm

In my opinion, Marshall cabs are some of the most overrated pieces of equipment in music history. They must be paying millions to all the artists that use the wall of 1960s in music videos and live shows. Completely average cab IMO. Get either of the Orange 2x12s or of course you could always just get the Avatar and save some dough.

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:33 pm

what style of music do you play? The PPC212 is great for heavy/hard rock. Really gives the sound "meat". The open back would be great for cleanish/low gain stuff that doesn't need to be played at high volumes, but these are generalizations. If you can, get out to a place and play them. that is the best way to know. I hear the build quality of the closed back is superior to the open back, but I have no experience with any of oranges Chinese builds. Enjoy your amp and welcome to the family.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mole

Post by Mole » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Well I shall let you all know that I have ordered the PPC212-OB. I would of got the closed back but that is out of my price range, but I plan to save up some more money and then buy the close back and simply daisy chain the two together (though not for a while).

I play a wide range of music so i think the open back will meet my application :)

I should be here within the next few days so once i have had a play I shall let you all know what I think.

Cheers again for all the advice.

Mole

Post by Mole » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:15 am

Thought I'd give you kind people an update.....since the place i was going to buy the PPC212-OB was sold out until end the April ive decided to go for the PPC212 closed back......but im not sure whether to get it in white or orange?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Mole wrote:Thought I'd give you kind people an update.....since the place i was going to buy the PPC212-OB was sold out until end the April ive decided to go for the PPC212 closed back......but im not sure whether to get it in white or orange?
I like white cabs with the DT, but only if you are the type of person that can keep it clean (if you know what I mean).

ianwrecked
Rocker

Post by ianwrecked » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:21 pm

Randy Bass wrote:There's also an Orange 4x10 cab coming out for guitar soon in case you didn't know.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you 100% positive on this?! I will be buying one for damn sure if that's the case!
http://www.myspace.com/wreckmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/bigblackheartattack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul>TU-3 Tuner>PS-5 Super Shifter>DD-7 Digital Delay>NS-2 Noise Suppressor>Rockerverb 100>PPC412

ianwrecked
Rocker

Post by ianwrecked » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Mole wrote:Thought I'd give you kind people an update.....since the place i was going to buy the PPC212-OB was sold out until end the April ive decided to go for the PPC212 closed back......but im not sure whether to get it in white or orange?
The Dual Terror looks phenomenal with a white cab. And, I'm very, very glad you went with the closed back. A dual terror with a closed back white PPC212?! Man, that would look great!!
http://www.myspace.com/wreckmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/bigblackheartattack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul>TU-3 Tuner>PS-5 Super Shifter>DD-7 Digital Delay>NS-2 Noise Suppressor>Rockerverb 100>PPC412