effects loop?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jrwinder635

effects loop?

Post by jrwinder635 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Well i have a problem, i think... I have an orange rocker 30 combo that i run through an orange 2x12 as well. I have a very nice supply of pedals all on a furman powered pedal board. I got this amp because its got a nice "natural" clean and the dirty sounds great. I planned on using some of my own drive and boost pedals before the tubes along with the wah and some noise gates. Ive heard it is best to run the delays and reverbs after the tubes. my carbon copy and my reverbs sound really weird and not how thier supposed to because of a lack of an effects lupe(running them before the tubes). my old amp had one but didnt have the great natural sound, which is why i bought the orange. LOVE THE AMP, just need a way to figure out how to get my effects to run after the tubes, and if thats not possible, the best way to make my amp/effects sound the best they can
JOSH

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Re: effects loop?

Post by thenetsux » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:25 pm

you can buy kits to mod an effects loop into your amp. It actually only puts the effects signals after the preamp and before the power tubes, so they are right in the middle of both tube sections. your local tech may be able to help you install it for a fee, but short of that, you'll just have to get used to the sound.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jrwinder635

Post by jrwinder635 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 pm

sweet. thanks alot. I had heard about something like that. Ill take a look at it. Will that affect my original sound of the amp?
JOSH

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:33 pm

jrwinder635 wrote:sweet. thanks alot. I had heard about something like that. Ill take a look at it. Will that affect my original sound of the amp?
Yes. Ade Emsley, designer of the R30 amp, said he purposely left out the FX loop because it would change the character of the amp.

Unadan

Post by Unadan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:09 am

Neiloler wrote:
jrwinder635 wrote:sweet. thanks alot. I had heard about something like that. Ill take a look at it. Will that affect my original sound of the amp?
Yes. Ade Emsley, designer of the R30 amp, said he purposely left out the FX loop because it would change the character of the amp.
Why/How would simply adding an effects loop change the sound of the amp? If there's nothing in the effects loop the sound should remain the same.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:08 am

Not if it's a buffered FX loop. The buffer would affect the signal chain. And you wouldn't want to use an unbuffered fx loop, because the impedance mismatch would kill your tone dead. :?

jatrainer11

Post by jatrainer11 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:09 am

Neiloler wrote:Not if it's a buffered FX loop. The buffer would affect the signal chain. And you wouldn't want to use an unbuffered fx loop, because the impedance mismatch would kill your tone dead. :?

Yeah man I think your best bet is too find amp that has been designed to work well with a buffered effects loop like the orange rockerverb 50 or 100.. You will still have the orange sound that you like, with the clarity of a loop,, its a win win,,,, But work with your pedal order first!! A rocker 30 should be able to digest good boutique pedals in the right order....

Unadan

Post by Unadan » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:32 am

I'm waiting for more details on the Thunder 30 which is supposed to have an effects loop.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 am

jatrainer11 wrote:
Neiloler wrote:Not if it's a buffered FX loop. The buffer would affect the signal chain. And you wouldn't want to use an unbuffered fx loop, because the impedance mismatch would kill your tone dead. :?

Yeah man I think your best bet is too find amp that has been designed to work well with a buffered effects loop like the orange rockerverb 50 or 100.. You will still have the orange sound that you like, with the clarity of a loop,, its a win win,,,, But work with your pedal order first!! A rocker 30 should be able to digest good boutique pedals in the right order....
+1 - i wanted a loop in my TT for a while, but decided that a) it probably wasn't worth the expense and trouble b) it wasn't designed for one c) and i don't know how to put one in, so whatever. i've read metro-amps has a decent buffered loop that can be retrofit to loop-less amps.

but i think if you want a loop it's probably best to get one with a loop pre installed.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)