Want a D*A*M Meathead Dark, none to be found.what's similar?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

xenious
Orange Hero

Want a D*A*M Meathead Dark, none to be found.what's similar?

Post by xenious » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Here is a GMD demo of the D*A*M fuzz I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWSZYUoO7rE

Asked about it from their ONLY dealer which is UK based and got no response. I take it to mean no answer is no pedal. So what's something similar that might be easier to come by? Maybe an Analogman peppermint fuzz dark?

I guess that's why he calls em D*A*M, cause they sound damn good and are damn hard to find and you say damn make some more pedals!!
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Brutalitarian Supremacy
Rocker

Re: Want a D*A*M Meathead Dark, none to be found.what's similar?

Post by Brutalitarian Supremacy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:18 am

D*A*M makes some really nice stuff...very pricey, but extremely well built. Their MKI Tonebender clone w/ Mullard OC81D's nails the sound of the original by SolaSound(later Colorsound)...very impressed w/ their work...
Egoism is the very essence of a noble soul...Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.myspace.com/wearevarulvorden

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:55 pm

they get swamped with people asking, but the dude (i think his name is joe) at v&r is a pretty chill dude and if you emailed asking about one your likely on the list.

i was on the list for a dark the day the lists opened and im still waiting... but the wait is going to be worth it, david main is a fuzz jedi.
valve.(((J0HN)))Resident village idiot
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Cool, I will wait and see then. I expect it will sound awesome through a 4x12 with lots of low end.
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:28 am

xenious wrote:Cool, I will wait and see then. I expect it will sound awesome through a 4x12 with lots of low end.
this dude did some amazing clips.

http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the first one isnt the best. scroll down.
and some tech helper type said, "Gee, Mr Atkins, that guitar sure sounds fabulous!" Chet put the guitar on it's stand and said, "Well, how does it sound now?"

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Word from "The Captain" is that they have both regular and dark stock now....good luck to us both!
-Xen

OR50, Vox AC4
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 pm

D*A*M are a total ripoff, well, definitely the used ones anyhow. Fuzz boxes are the simplest pedals to construct, anyone who pays the 400+GBP I've seen them go for on the second hand market wants their head examined ;)

FWIW, I suggest a DaMOAF from Bajatech... the best fuzz I've ever used, and I've used a load! It's the only fuzz I've actually ever liked and found totally usable apart from the Barber Trifecta. Not too many reviews or clips online, but I promise you it's spectacular.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

professor plum
Orange Master

Post by professor plum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:10 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:D*A*M are a total ripoff, well, definitely the used ones anyhow. Fuzz boxes are the simplest pedals to construct, anyone who pays the 400+GBP I've seen them go for on the second hand market wants their head examined ;)

FWIW, I suggest a DaMOAF from Bajatech... the best fuzz I've ever used, and I've used a load! It's the only fuzz I've actually ever liked and found totally usable apart from the Barber Trifecta. Not too many reviews or clips online, but I promise you it's spectacular.
its not daves falt that people flip them. he makes them slow because he hand tunes each one and builds them up individually on perf board. fuzzes are simple, but thats why it takes a skill to make them really well, because each component has a larger impact on the whole sound.

its people who cant wait who drive the prices up... i just got a one-off custom elka dizzytone clone built by dave (in a trade for some vinyl) and its EASILY the best fuzz ive ever played and short of vintage tonebenders that sell for $$$$$$$$ ive played everything.

the prices new are really fair if you can stand the wait. but boy is it worth it

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 am

professor plum wrote:
Le Chat Noir wrote:D*A*M are a total ripoff, well, definitely the used ones anyhow. Fuzz boxes are the simplest pedals to construct, anyone who pays the 400+GBP I've seen them go for on the second hand market wants their head examined ;)
its not daves falt that people flip them. he makes them slow because he hand tunes each one and builds them up individually on perf board. fuzzes are simple, but thats why it takes a skill to make them really well, because each component has a larger impact on the whole sound.

its people who cant wait who drive the prices up... i just got a one-off custom elka dizzytone clone built by dave (in a trade for some vinyl) and its EASILY the best fuzz ive ever played and short of vintage tonebenders that sell for $$$$$$$$ ive played everything.

the prices new are really fair if you can stand the wait. but boy is it worth it
I didn't blame him, which is why I mentioned the used prices - he's just a businessman who is obviously talented but has also been lucky to be hyped up so much. I actually respect them for not putting their new prices sky high, considering they must know their second hand market value is often double what they charge! Nevertheless, you do not need to pay that money for a good fuzz, and there are guys out there building pedals just as good - the only difference is they haven't been hyped and built up by chatter on internet gear forums!

Anyway, it's all academic - they're not accepting new orders currently, so if you want any kind of fuzz you'll either have to pay the stupid second hand prices, wait at least half a year, or settle for something else that hasn't been so hyped! ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

jojo68
Orange Master

Post by jojo68 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:59 pm

I would like one. I think I'm going to try an Ox fuzz next.

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:27 pm

From what I heard the DaMOAF was a little subtle for my tastes. I might just go with an AnalogMan sun face silicon. I liked the Marc Ford demos he had and well Marc helped sell me on an Orange with their older videos he did.
-Xen

OR50, Vox AC4
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:36 pm

xenious wrote:From what I heard the DaMOAF was a little subtle for my tastes.
Heh, I don't know who told you that... it's the fattest, most defined fuzz I've ever tried! Trust me, I don't do subtle :lol: Nails those thick, wall-of-fuzz tones associated with Billy Corgan, etc, but is also very versatile - or at least my 5-knob one is.
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Oh I meant from what I heard on their web site demos haha. Point me to something more extreme please?
-Xen

OR50, Vox AC4
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:42 am

xenious wrote:Oh I meant from what I heard on their web site demos haha. Point me to something more extreme please?
Sadly there aren't many clips or videos online - tell you what, we have a gig tonight so I'll take our video cameras along and you can hear it in action, as I'm using the Da MOAF as my main drive sound these days! I will almost certainly have it all over our next album too. I find a lot of companies shoot themselves in the foot by putting really poorly recorded gear demoes online and not marketing them cleverly. Say what you like about Zachary Vex, he certainly got both those things right, hence his company's success!
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote: tell you what, we have a gig tonight so I'll take our video cameras along and you can hear it in action,
Cheers for that, can't wait!
-Xen

OR50, Vox AC4
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00