Bass Terror 500w Head

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

drewfromutah
Rocker

Bass Terror 500w Head

Post by drewfromutah » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:57 pm

My bass player saw this online and is really interested in it. He'd be upgrading from a Hartke solid state amp so I'm sure it would be an upgrade, but unfortunately none of the stores around here stock them so he can't test it out to be certain he likes it. Anyone have any "reviews" or info about the amp?

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Re: Bass Terror 500w Head

Post by tony_clifton » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-rN4glWmTs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Enjoy.
I play bass.

drewfromutah
Rocker

Post by drewfromutah » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 pm

I have no idea how I missed that -- thanks.

Anyone here use one?

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 pm

i have one - our bass player uses it - it's awesome...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

drewfromutah
Rocker

Post by drewfromutah » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Van Cleef wrote:i have one - our bass player uses it - it's awesome...
Sweet! The only thing we were worried about is how a digital power section would sound when cranked at shows.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:51 pm

for larger shows we put it through a 1000w quad and it's pretty massive sounding

for practice it goes through a 500w 1x12 and STILL sounds fantastic and deep and full -

many very very good bass amps are solid state or valve hybrid... this is one of them...

drewfromutah
Rocker

Post by drewfromutah » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:56 pm

Van Cleef wrote:for larger shows we put it through a 1000w quad and it's pretty massive sounding

for practice it goes through a 500w 1x12 and STILL sounds fantastic and deep and full -

many very very good bass amps are solid state or valve hybrid... this is one of them...
Awesome. I appreciate your insight! I think he's gonna buy it. Really excited to hear it (and play with it :lol: ).

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:05 am

in a couple of days i get see how it sounds with a thunderbird... now THAT is exciting

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:47 am

The sound is pretty great if you like the definitive Orange bass sound. It is pretty gritty with nice distortion on tap at any volume. Not everyone likes that much character in their bass tone though. It won't do the sterile cleans nearly as well as a Hartke :lol: .

xfredrikx

Post by xfredrikx » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 am

The Terror Bass is great.

Had to sell mine to afford a AD200B though.
Fender Aerodyne
Orange AD200-B / Mk3
Orange OBC115

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

I like mine too. Only downside is the DI and the fan noise at home. Noise is no big deal at band levels, the DI is too hot and clips a lot of boards right away. Using the preamp out and a DI is a workaround (the poweramp doesn't get disconnected).

Running mine in 2 300w 112 cabs I have to say it's perfect for me.
I play bass.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:17 pm

I was really interested in getting one of these - I was walking down Denmark St one day and saw one of the shops had these in stock so I gave it a long demo. It was alright, but I didn't fall in love with it. Kind of hard to explain really, but the cleans didn't seem too magical and the amp seemed to dirty up really soon and in a bit too gritty a way for me - and I really like overdriven bass, I always record using overdriven bass.

It was a real shame for me because I so wanted to love it, but I just didn't. I really recommend that you travel to a store that has them in stock and are available to demo, and try it out. They're not hugely expensive, but they're not ten-a-penny either and you want to get something that really suits you. I hope it works out.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:23 pm

The lack of the 'sterile' cleans bothered me, and I found that the EQ wasn't as flexible as some i'd come across. The DI out sort of sucks, because it's so hot that you need something padding it.

That being said, I quite enjoyed the overdriven tone. However, overall, I felt the same way about it as I did an AD200B that I played. Quite enjoyed it, but not enough to part with the money for it.

Should imagine the bass terror would be a great buy for anyone who liked the AD200B sound but wanted a cheaper or more portable package. Sounds were similar.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Dreamcasterâ„¢

Post by Dreamcasterâ„¢ » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:32 pm

I've just bought one in bundle with the SP212 cabinet (I know, you guys don't like isobaric cabs..but it was a special offer on dv247 and i really found the price interesting...especially if compared to the insane prices you see in stores here in Italy) and I'm now waiting for it to be shipped...can't wait! :mrgreen:

What's wrong with the DI?

Right now I use a SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver: I plug in my bass input in it, then I send the unbalanced out to my bass combo (an SWR Workingman's 12) and the balbanced XLR goes to the mixer.

Once I'll get my new Orange Bass Terror should I keep routing the signal like this or I'd better use the built-in DI?
I like my amps the way I like my friends: steady, reliable and top quality.
I like my cabs the way I like my ladies: not very sensitive, with lots of bottom for a small, easy-to-handle size.
My bass is just like me: 'coz I'm my bass.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:01 pm

Dreamcasterâ„¢ wrote:Right now I use a SansAmp Programmable Bass Driver: I plug in my bass input in it, then I send the unbalanced out to my bass combo (an SWR Workingman's 12) and the balbanced XLR goes to the mixer.

Once I'll get my new Orange Bass Terror should I keep routing the signal like this or I'd better use the built-in DI?
I think you should give the DI a try and see how it compares with the Sansamp... then let us know!