RV50 + new preamp tubes + Studio = Happy (mostly)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CD9266
Orange Master

RV50 + new preamp tubes + Studio = Happy (mostly)

Post by CD9266 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm

So I picked up my amp the other day and had JJ's put in Dirty 1 and 2. I explained earlier all the noise (the entire kitchen and maybe the entire zoo) that came out of my amp due to one of the preamp tubes. Regardless there was still a bit of hum which could be from the guitar or the phase inverter tube which is still a stock 12AX7 that came with the amp upon purchase.

So, into the studio I went on Tuesday with that amp. When I went in, this is what I saw.

What was claimed as a early 80's Marshall JCM800, a Mesa Dual "Rectumfrier", and a Peavey 5150 II. These guys were metal heads. Then the stack turned into this...

If there is a such thing as too much gain... this is it. :mrgreen:

Anyways my settings were along the lines of this.

Treble: 9-10
Mids: 1
Bass: 3
Gain: 1
Volume: 2:30ish

This was run through a Marshall JCM800 4x12 cab with Vintage 30s (that's what I was told) in it. That was L O U D...... The door that led from the control room to the drum/mic room was rattling a bit every time I played a note. And this is with a sleeping bag covering the cab and the mic. There was a bit of extra hum when I had the volume up and wasn't playing but they cut that stuff out.

The sound? Incredible. After stereo tracking it the song sounds ridiculous. Very powerful and heavy. Overall I'm happy with the rough mix I heard before we left the studio and I can't wait to hear the final mix on my home system or through headphones.

The RV50. As I was leaving the studio I was talking to Tim (one of the engineers/producers) and he said he was very surprised to see me bring in an Orange. Then he said I was "more than welcome to leave the Orange here." :wink: NAH...
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!