Faceless Rock

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mc2
Tiny Terror

Re: Faceless Rock

Post by mc2 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:45 pm

I'd say the '70s album art and actual music on the LP took priority over the band members images during that period. The digital fidelity of CDs and thier compact size was sad trade-off for "album art." I REALLY miss the days of great artwork and clever packaging of LPs.

What might be sadder is that...while we actually see more of the artists during the '90s-2000's on MTV, Americn Idol, etc...in many ways they seem more "faceless" than the FM radio artists of the '70s. I guess your gripe about the '70s is that we HEARD the music before we SAW the artist. Fine by me. That sort of made the music have to be better and stand on it's own. When a band's visual content supercededs its audio, you run the risk of a lot of bands music not being all that strong nd relying on image and music videos.

Music is cyclical and when I caught the Top 20 on VH1 today while changin guitar strings, I caught myself thinking how almost every track pretty much sucked out loud. I think we're entering a period again where some "next new thing" is needed to wipe out the crap that is presently being passed off as music. American Idol has all the commercial pop/rock sounding like the same guy band or girl singer....and hip hop/rap has played itself out and become a parody of itself. That usually cues some big change coming soon.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 am

Randy Bass wrote:Just in case some of you are unaware, the chap in the funny hat sitting on the curb is the great Leon Wilkeson of Lynyrd Skynyrd (pictured). Axl Rose is a douche.

quoted for truth
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

haole

Post by haole » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 am

I admit its nice to see a picture now and then(Lita Ford! :lol:), but music has since gone in the wrong direction IMO. Its become way too much about selling an image these days than making good music. Shut up and rock already!
Rocker 30 / PPC212
Micro Dark / PPC108
'65 AVS Fender JM
'96 Fender JM (CIJ)
'95 Fender Tele (MIM)
'16 Epi LP Std PTP
'94 Epi Hummingbird
EHX V2 RH, V6 big muff's, nano

sold - Marshall JCM 900 MKIII/"1960's vintage" 412

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:57 pm

mc2 wrote:I think we're entering a period again where some "next new thing" is needed to wipe out the crap that is presently being passed off as music. American Idol has all the commercial pop/rock sounding like the same guy band or girl singer....and hip hop/rap has played itself out and become a parody of itself. That usually cues some big change coming soon.
I so hope so. It all seems to have got a bit stuck.
It's always the kids that come out with the new stuff.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:46 pm

why do you have cabin fever?

i open CD's hoping to see what sort of shots they have on the inside, but i can't say i've ever wished for shots of the band. but then, i never had vinyl.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

coolpix

Post by coolpix » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:05 am

newbie first post be kind

In my home i have 2 boxes 1 for cd's 1 full of old vinyl from the seventies, have to be honest some albums suck but the art work lives on, find the old tull album thick as a brick grab a coffee and read it, it,s a news paper for god sake.
Cd's have there place but will never have any soul, 70's vinyl is the rock of ages and i'm old enough to know.