More speakers

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Anders

Post by Anders » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:20 am

I'm currently playing my 70s OR120 overdrive through a Marshall 1960B cabinet with Celestion 75 watt speakers (GT-75 something or others) ... man, do those speakers stink. I realized this after buying a '66 Fender Champ with an absolutely amazing Jensen alnico in it. Now I want to build an open back cabinet and put 2 Jensen P12Rs in it ... maybe. What do ya'll think? I play alt country and I like the big sound of the Orange cuz it's different from the standard Fender/American roots sound, but I love the crispness and responsiveness of an alnico speaker in an open cabinet. Or, maybe someone can suggest replacment speakers for the Marshall ... something that isn't so spongy. Thanks.

Anders

Pacomc

Post by Pacomc » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:55 pm

check out A Broun Sound Tone Tubbies, I believe they are al ni co.

Also Weber speakers makes some excellent varieties you may love.

I wanna dip my balls in it!!!!

Jeppe Scaramangas

Post by Jeppe Scaramangas » Fri May 02, 2003 11:08 am

I´ve got a really great 4x10 openback. The speakers are Celestion vintage 10"s. It sounds amazingly good as an extension cab with anything but for hundredw att old-school amps, like my Orange OR120 and our singers Marshall Plexi super lead 1959 Reissue it just wont do the trick. Or maybe an openback sound is what you want. Compared to the 1960 my openback has a very clean top but it lacks the bass response of the closedbacks. Although the speakers are amazingly nice. Really tight and cool with a small tube combo.

Apparently there is an enormous difference in how the speakers behave with different sizedamps.You might want to try out a bunch of openbacks and AB them with the Marshall or a good closed cab before you make your decision.

Big Pics OR 120 from 1973
Listen to indie music from Finland at:
http://www.thescaramangas.com
OR120 1973
4x12 w/ Greenbacks 1973

Pics of my rig: http://community.webshots.com/user/scaramangas