Changing pots on my tele

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

danbond
Orange Expert

Changing pots on my tele

Post by danbond » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:49 pm

My tele thinline 69 comes with 1 meg posts, which are apparently why it is so bright. Now I have a fender twin, its definitely too bright - rolling off the treble on the amp to zero and its still pretty bright!

I have heard about changing the 1 meg posts to 250k will warm it up a bit.

Which pots (volume or tone) should I change?

Do I need linear pots? Or audio pots?

Is this easy to do myself with a good soldering iron?

Tops on this would be awesome, thank you.

Dan

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: Changing pots on my tele

Post by Neiloler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Changing pots isn't no big thang, just take some time, have some patience, and you'll get 'er done (and I'd be happy to help with anything I can through messaging/e-mails).

I'd recommend going with CTS pots, sold at Stew Mac and Warmoth: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics ... _Pots.html

Going with the 250K will be pretty warm, but you might also want to consider 500K if you're using humbuckers.

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Its a single coil guitar - will 250k be too warm? Its a tele so it should get bright through a twin anyway right?

Thanks for the offer of help - i'll almost certainly take you up on that.

Dan

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:47 pm

most single coils use 250k (audio taper)

its really odd they put 1megs in the single coil 69 tele and 250k in the 72 teles w/humbuckers :?

also check if you need split shafts (push on) or smooth shafts (holding screw in knob)

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:35 am

Go 250k and like Max said, check the shafts. Fender also sells suitable replacements (via eBay, musicians frined, or even GC) as does Allparts. The Warmoth CTS pots are good, but a little stiff-turning IMO. Use a 40 watt iron and get in / out quick so as not to destroy the pot. I like to scuff the spot on the back of the pot where you'll be soldering w/ my Dremel or even scratch it up w/ a sharp object to help w/ adhesion of the solder.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:42 am

Cool call on the scuffing up the back of the pot if the solder is having trouble adhering to them.

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks for everyones help - i just ordered 2 CTS pots from Axesrus in the UK. Very cheap and apparently the same as the ones Fender+Gibson use.

For the soldering iron, would a basic 40w iron like this do the job well enough? Would it be suitable for DIY pedal projects as well?

https://supreme1.sslpowered.com/cgi-bin ... item=00003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And standard solder? Or lead free?

Thanks again!

misterfolkertsma
Orange Expert

Post by misterfolkertsma » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 am

40W is plenty! Lot's of people even use a 15W, you just need to pay more attention to what you're doing. I use a 60W soldering iron, which is basically waaay to much so I tend to solder very fast. :wink:

I can't say I've ever really paid attention to the type of solder I use, but from what I've read here and there a lighter solder is better for these kind of jobs.

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 pm

I use Radio Shack 60/40 .032 Light Duty Rosin-Core Solder in conjunction w/ Kester Acid Paste Flux. My stuff stays stuck.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:01 pm

I find coating the tips of the wire your attaching to the pot with some solder is really good too helps when your attaching the wire onto the melted solder on the pots

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Bit late now, but I was about to say check the shaft diameter on the pots you have as some Teles have different size pots. Ah well, you'll find out!

Soldering... 40 watts should be fine (some iron tips get pitted and corroded, so you need a bit more oomph). If you've not soldered much, get some practice in on scraps of wire and metal.

You should always tin the wire and the component tag you're soldering to first, then basically put the two parts together, and put the tip of the soldering iron next to them. The solder heats up, melts, runs together, lose the soldering iron tip, hold until set. Try not to move whilst it's setting.

Job done.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...