Moderator: bclaire

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Tell me about the Celestion G12-80

Post by Orphin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm

What do you know about these drivers?
Are they any good?
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: Tell me about the Celestion G12-80

Post by Orphin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 am

bump
David

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:17 pm

Come on. Someone outta have something to say..
David

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:53 am

Guys!?
David

BassBoost

Post by BassBoost » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:46 pm

That are just Celestions, are Celestions, are Celestions. Nothing special to tell about it! It seems to be build in a HiFi speaker cab!!?? The wood looks like so!

You should ask Jeff at MATAMP.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm

BassBoost wrote:That are just Celestions, are Celestions, are Celestions. Nothing special to tell about it! It seems to be build in a HiFi speaker cab!!?? The wood looks like so!

Wow. Just wow.

Google has a few things to say about it, but I've never tried one. I am under the impression that it is the same speaker that is now called the Classic Lead. The speaker looks like so!:

http://www.tubedepot.com/sp-cel-g12-80.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... c.asp?ID=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tight bass and not too shrill on the high end sounds like a pretty good speaker for my taste. It seems like it would be a similar speaker to the G12-65 with the fiberglass former and tight lows. It has pretty good sensitivity at 99dB as well.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:01 pm

BassBoost wrote:That are just Celestions, are Celestions, are Celestions. Nothing special to tell about it! It seems to be build in a HiFi speaker cab!!?? The wood looks like so!

No, they're from a checkered Marshall cab.
Randy Bass wrote:

Wow. Just wow.

Google has a few things to say about it, but I've never tried one. I am under the impression that it is the same speaker that is now called the Classic Lead. The speaker looks like so!:

http://www.tubedepot.com/sp-cel-g12-80.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... c.asp?ID=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tight bass and not too shrill on the high end sounds like a pretty good speaker for my taste. It seems like it would be a similar speaker to the G12-65 with the fiberglass former and tight lows. It has pretty good sensitivity at 99dB as well.
I believe these are older than those.
According to Wikipedia, they should be from between the years 1975 and 1979, if I understand it correct??

"British Rola bought Celestion in 1947 and moved production to Thames Ditton a year later. The name of the resulting company was Rola Celestion; that of its products, Celestion. (MPP, later a camera maker, was formed as a subsidiary during the war.)

Production of radio, television and "hi fi" speakers continued in the postwar years. In 1968 the company started production in Ipswich, moving all production there by 1975. The company merged with a clothing company in 1970 and the result was named Celestion Industries, which in turn became Celestion International in 1979."
David

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 am

I understand that the Rola G12-80s in the picture are older, but my point is that the Classic Lead currently in production by Celestion is also referred to as a G12-80. This leads me to believe that the Classic Lead is built to the same specs as the Rola-era G12-80, although the build quality on the new ones is most likely better than the Rolas. The following information can be found on the Tube Depot link posted previously:

Celestion G12-80 12" Classic Lead Driver
Revolutionary in the late ’70s, a fibreglass voice coil former - capable of withstanding very high temperatures - was used to give the Classic Lead a muscular 80W power handling. This also increased barrel stiffness, affecting the way the cone vibrated and influencing cone break up. Then, through experimentation with edge treatments and continued critical listening, some modes were encouraged while others were suppressed, contributing to the speaker’s unique sound.
Today, the Classic Lead is much-loved by lead guitarists for its speed, punch and articulation, with every note clearly defined on even big, distorted sounds.
The Classic Lead also sounds great clean, with that same articulation combining with high headroom to deliver a fluid, dynamic performance
Power Rating: 80W
Response: 75-5k
Voice Coil: 1.75"

It sounds like the Classic Lead G12-80 would be great to mix with Vintage 30s in a 4x12 cab.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:45 pm

sarahcolin2 wrote:Hmmm... Interesting point of view. Ought to be Dugg.

Chapel Hill Houses for Sale
Take me to your leader. The metal ones are making their move.

Moshman

Post by Moshman » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:49 am

The cones on the rola G12 80 are better then he newer ones if you can get a hold e of some vintage G12s I'd grab them

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Long shot, but if you're interested, I have a pair of G12 Classic lead 80's I was about to flog on evil bay if you want 1st shout. VGC
Gordon Smith Graduate 60, Gretsch G6128 Duo Jet, 1997 AS Fender Tele, 1968 Framus BL15.

Wienbrock ME-3pro Orange DT, Blackheart BH100, Custom 2x12 VC30, Custom 2x12 CL80
Some other stuff & a large vodka.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 am

A couple of things, the gray area...

1. No trading allowed here. (Forum rules.)

2. The CL80 isn't at all the same speaker as the old G12-80. They are all the same 'family', but in fact the current Mesa-Celestion MC90 is closer to the G12-80 than the CL is.

3. This was an OLD thread anyway. :lol:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

the gray area
Tiny Terror

Post by the gray area » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:09 am

Appols A.Hun, Intentions were good but I had forgotten about the trading rule.