Best OD for AD140?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

WannaBWeiland
Orange Master

Best OD for AD140?

Post by WannaBWeiland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:44 pm

To all of those still using AD140s:

What is the best overdrive to drive the lead channel with? I've been hearing that the OCD is top shizzle, but I checked out a OCD version 1, 2, 3, and I believe 4 shootout and none of them sound the same.

Just wondered if anyone was using an AD140 and a pedal to get a good heavy rhythm (if need be) and/or for a sweet, singing lead tone.
Gear:
'93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Breedlove Studio C250/EO
Mesa Stiletto Ace
Mesa Vertical 2x12
CAE wah, Pitchblack, BB Preamp, Timmy, DM-2W

...and The Rumsfield

spewing
Rocker

Re: Best OD for AD140?

Post by spewing » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Are ya liking the sound just wanting to push your already driven amp harder? Get a clean boost. I use a Keeley Katana. Barely changes the sound of the amp but adds gain.

If you're looking for tonal and response changes then you probably want to clean the amp itself up and run an OD/Dist. I have used a Rat, TS-9, Big Muff, Sparkle Drive, DS-1, and various others and had good but vastly different results. There is one constant though. I had to run them into a mostly clean amp setting. Running an OD or especially Dist pedal into an already driven AD almost always sounded washed out and indistinct.

What kind of sound are you going for? Who's tone would you like to emulate?

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

spewing wrote: OD/Dist. I have used a Rat, TS-9, Big Muff, Sparkle Drive, DS-1, and various others and had good but vastly different results.
do not get the ds-1 thats the worst excuse for a pedal ive ever wasted 20$ on i even modded it to get a synthy fuzz still no. i use a eq and that works pretty good i would imagine a clean boost would work a little better though
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

spewing
Rocker

Post by spewing » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:28 pm

Yeah, DS-1 is the buzziest of the bunch, but Vai got alot of mileage out of it. I think you run that one into a warm clean amp to get a useable sound...

WannaBWeiland
Orange Master

Post by WannaBWeiland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm

The sound I'm looking for is more of an early Stone Temple Pilots crunch to balls out Alice in Chains stuff with the cleanliness of blues :wink:
Gear:
'93 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Breedlove Studio C250/EO
Mesa Stiletto Ace
Mesa Vertical 2x12
CAE wah, Pitchblack, BB Preamp, Timmy, DM-2W

...and The Rumsfield

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:12 am

WannaBWeiland wrote:The sound I'm looking for is more of an early Stone Temple Pilots crunch to balls out Alice in Chains stuff with the cleanliness of blues :wink:
don't know why you would need a distortion pedal for that kind of sound. the ad should have enough gain to pull that off.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:10 am

spewing wrote:Yeah, DS-1 is the buzziest of the bunch, but Vai got alot of mileage out of it.
as did Cobain
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:44 am

Pay your money and take your choice for pedals on the AD amps... they take them pretty well, fuzzes aside.

I'd just get a few likely-looking used ones off eBay and sell those you don't like.

In your case, i'd be looking for two pedals, the first being a low to mid-gain one for your blues and rhythm, and the latter being another boost for a heavier lead sound. Something tubescreamerish would work well on top of the other pedal, or a dedicated distortion box like the MI Audio Crunchbox or Emma Reezafratzitz would give you lots of rock gain.

My personal favourite is the Blackstone mosfet... YMMV
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:59 am

ironlung40 wrote:
spewing wrote:Yeah, DS-1 is the buzziest of the bunch, but Vai got alot of mileage out of it.
as did Cobain
Territorial Pissings is a good example of the DS sound. To me, that song sounded great when I was about 13 and of course I bought a DS-2 back in the day to try and emulate it - now I find that particular song's guitar sound to be raspy and ugly. In fact most of Cobain's guitar tones on that record sound pretty sterile and thin to me now. In Utero sounds a bit better, still not exactly anything I'd recommend as a tonal reference, even for that kind of music. Just my opinion though - I do actually really like Nirvana's music, so I'm not just being dismissive!

FWIW, I have a DS-1 that I modded with a Monte Allums kit a few years back and it smoothed it out a lot, gave it a more natural sound... still hasn't seen much time on my board though. It really doesn't play well with my AD30, unless the amp is set really clean... it did sound really meaty with the ultra-clean Marshall Superbass I used to have though.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
ironlung40 wrote:
as did Cobain
Territorial Pissings is a good example of the DS sound. To me, that song sounded great when I was about 13 and of course I bought a DS-2 back in the day to try and emulate it - now I find that particular song's guitar sound to be raspy and ugly. In fact most of Cobain's guitar tones on that record sound pretty sterile and thin to me now. In Utero sounds a bit better, still not exactly anything I'd recommend as a tonal reference, even for that kind of music. Just my opinion though - I do actually really like Nirvana's music, so I'm not just being dismissive!

FWIW, I have a DS-1 that I modded with a Monte Allums kit a few years back and it smoothed it out a lot, gave it a more natural sound... still hasn't seen much time on my board though. It really doesn't play well with my AD30, unless the amp is set really clean... it did sound really meaty with the ultra-clean Marshall Superbass I used to have though.
That was the whole point, though, with Cobain's choice of tone. He knew exactly what his tone sounded like and what it didn't. He could've played a Marshall 800 or 1959, or even a Soldano, but that was not the tone he was seeking.(He would've still had to have a separate amp for his very high volume cleans though) So, in that regard the DS1's and DS2's are perfect for what they do, and you can get fuller sounds out of them without mods, but you've got to keep the gain backed off a bit...and the amp you run them through plays a role as well, as they like clean headroom best.

Territorial Pissings is only 1 example of the DS1 sound. Practically all of the other Nirvana songs are examples as well, and they all don't sound exactly like TP. 95% of cobains recordings are either the DS1 or Ds2. He used some other pedals some, but the boss pedals are present on almost everything.....he used a big muff on Lithium....I doubt it was exclusive though, and in the In Utero era he was using the DS2 and a Sansamp....but those little orange boxes are were always at his feet from Teen spirit on, except for very rare cases.

I didn't think you were being dismissive. We're just throwing some opinions around.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:25 pm

I like my Danelctro CTO-1 and MXR Distortion III. I have the CTO-1 set to very mild breakup and the MXR has a fair amount of gain and extra volume in the settings. I can layer them however I like through my clean Fender and it sounds really good, like really really good. If I turn them all on with my EHX Memory Boy it sounds really cool and spaced out. They sound ok through my AD50, but I don't really feel the need for them into this amp. It's got gain a plenty. The CTO-1 through it kind of adds some upper midrange to the sound. I'm still experimenting with the Orange though. I've got the Fender sound tweaked to perfection.

I'm not sure how these pedals would work with your Orange, but I'm happy with them for my purposes.

BLS
Rocker

Post by BLS » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:05 pm

I use a Maxon OD808 and the MXR Custom Shop GT OD and they both are GREAT with the AD140

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:54 pm

BLS wrote:I use a Maxon OD808 and the MXR Custom Shop GT OD and they both are GREAT with the AD140
sweet!!!!

I also have a AD140 and OR50. I don't really have a use for them together yet, as I'm experimenting with each one. (haven't had the AD140, but for a couple of weeks)

Do you run them together?

Do you use the same OD's with the OR50?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

the_blue_bomber
Orange Master

Post by the_blue_bomber » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:38 am

If you're considering adding a bit of gain and a bit of boost, I wouldn't overlook Xotic effects. I use the BB Preamp. I like it because it has about as much gain and output as a tubescreamer, but is a bit more useful to me because it has bass and treble controls instead of just a tone knob.
I used to have more Orange stuff. Now I just have a PPC412 (black), and a Micro Crush.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:55 am

I've been driving my AD140 TC with a microamp by mxr....works great and it doesn't color tone any that I can notice....just pushes the natural sound of the AD140 further....
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI