Getting the most out of my "new" DL4

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Getting the most out of my "new" DL4

Post by Neiloler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:49 am

So I got one, and I've been playing around with the settings. I'm not sure how I feel about it. My next step is to go through all the settings, manual in hand, so I know what I'm looking for, but I'm still not sure, it just seems a bit blah when compared to the echo park. :?

I did the factory reset, I also played around with both bypass settings, I'm about to tear into it and see what simple mods I can make, but if you guy know any trims, etc, I love to hear them.

Nork
Orange Master

Re: Getting the most out of my "new" DL4

Post by Nork » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:08 am

i had the same issue to. when playing around on my own, i could never seem to be really happy with it. and then i'd sit down with the manual and try and find my sound and bang....there it was. it was the unintuitiveness of it that lost me and i sold it eventually.

there's a guy named dan burgess who does mods for it - same guy who did my e3. [email protected] i think - email him he might be able to help ya out.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:15 am

I found some stuff on line for some mods, I'm about to try them out now. Here's a good post of the mod stuff:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/sho ... ?t=2290541

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:45 am

Finished removing the caps and replacing the resistors. I think I'm hearing an improvement, but I can't crank up too loud. I can't wait to move into a bigger place where I don't have to worry about waking my kids up in the next room over.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:55 am

so what changes did you make tone wise? i don't understand most of the electronic stuff.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 am

It supposed to take care of tone sucking problems (the caps were still in the circuit even when true-bypassed) and the volume drop when the pedal was engaged. I didn't notice those things before persay, but I did notice the tone was less than inspiring, just kind of blah. Again, this is all pending further testing.

onewaycpr
Orange Master

Post by onewaycpr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:23 am

always wanted to explore more into my DL-4. Never really gave it a second chance after acquiring 2 DD-5 pedals.

I lent it to a lot of friends. Its back in my hands now though, maybe ill throw it back on the board.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:40 am

onewaycpr wrote:always wanted to explore more into my DL-4. Never really gave it a second chance after acquiring 2 DD-5 pedals.

I lent it to a lot of friends. Its back in my hands now though, maybe ill throw it back on the board.
I'd be happy to do the mod for you Jody, same goes for anyone here. OLER Audio special: $20 (pay for shipping too, which shouldn't be too much if you use Priority Mail flat rate box [USPS])

tbksk8
Tiny Terror

Post by tbksk8 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:11 pm

I love my DL4 and I'd love to send you some of my presets if you'd like... Once I get mine back from it's repair... I use that pedal a lot :P
Gibson Explorer
Orange Rocker 30 --> Avatar 4x12 Cab
Marshall JCM900 4100 --> Carvin Cab

Party Clown with a Mustache! <{ }:o})

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:11 pm

tbksk8 wrote:I love my DL4 and I'd love to send you some of my presets if you'd like... Once I get mine back from it's repair... I use that pedal a lot :P
Sure, that would be way cool. I've found I'm at least able to get down the right rhythmic delay for it, but I don't know if I like the tone. I may be adding back a Echo Park some time soon.

tbksk8
Tiny Terror

Post by tbksk8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:57 am

I only have one setting that I see as just Spectacular, but until I get my pedal back I can't recall exactly what it is... I have a setting saved on my phone though, it might be this one... not positive though... but

Try putting the knobs like this and see what ya think

(sorry for the ENORMITY of that picture...)

It should sound somewhat cool... I don't know why I would have taken a picture of it if it didn't *shrug*

I really like the reverse effect as well, and everything is more fun with an expression pedal ;)
Gibson Explorer
Orange Rocker 30 --> Avatar 4x12 Cab
Marshall JCM900 4100 --> Carvin Cab

Party Clown with a Mustache! <{ }:o})

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:12 am

I'll try it out, but I'm finding myself missing my Echo Park for the simplicity of getting dotted 8th notes.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:09 pm

I don't use my DL4 because to me it sounds grainy....
I record with it using the delay/swell but as a stand alone sole delay pedal it's not for me.
I like a pedal to become part of my sound and not sit on top of it.

I hope you can suss it out Neil but I know how much you loved the Echo Parks!
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:06 pm

Yeah, there was a clarity with the Echo Parks where it sounded exactly like you're saying Brian: it sounded like my sound instead of something sitting on top. I'm thinking I'll ebay this thing off. :'(

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:09 pm

I like the idea of looping though, and that's what turned me on to trying out the DL4. Guess it's not for me. :roll: :(