Got my AD140TC head!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Sty1es

Post by Sty1es » Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:35 am

This thing ROCKS. I havn't gotten a chance to compare it to my Marshall JMP 2203, but off the bat I can tell that I'm gonna love this head. It's built like a freaking tank too. Heavier than all of my other amps, and smaller than all of them too. I'm currently running it through a V30 loaded Carvin cab, which I don't think does it justice, but I will probably end up getting a Marshall 1960B cab and swap out the speakers in it for my V30s. I also hear that Hiwatt cabs with old Fanes make great partners for Orange heads, and of course, Orange cabs...I found an Orange 4x12 locally, but it's pretty pricey, and I don't think my back could handle the weight...definately the heaviest cab I've ever seen!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:00 am

Heavy.... you aren't kidding. But there's a benefit to that heaviness... solid as a rock. At practice, I used to have a Marshall 4X12 just stationed there that I didn't gig with.... and ran the Orange through it. I always put my slide, capo, and a few picks on the cab- and they always vibrate off....... the Marshall. Brought one of my Orange 4X12's down there- nothing moves. I put a small stack of NAILS on the 4X12 from some posters I was hanging in the practice room- Not one of them vibrated off the cab over two weeks and we're fairly loud! Vibration means sound waves going somewhere else- no vibration means sound going straight forward. There's something to be said for that, I think.

However, I'm just waiting for my heart to explode one of these days when I carry that sucker out to my car down the stairs from my house.

And then there's the AD30TC combo of mine in the road case.... yikes. I feel two things on my body getting bigger and it ain't my biceps. Billy

Sty1es

Post by Sty1es » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:14 pm

The EQ on this thing is weird! Anyone have any EQ suggestions for me? I'm looking for a good hi-gain heavy rock tone, which seems like its pretty easy to coax out of this thing, but I havn't gotten the hang of the EQ yet. Anyone have any starting points?