Selling things you love but don't use any more... :(

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Selling things you love but don't use any more... :(

Post by Neiloler » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:06 pm

So after working out getting a new bass player who's a good player but just recently moved into the area and doesn't have much of a bass amp, I'm going to try and sell my telecaster. It's the 2nd worthwhile guitar I ever built (my first one being my blue strat which I bought back from the guy who owned it for a few years, so I consider myself very blessed).

I'll use the tele money for a bass amp, because I've found that I'd always like to have a bass amp on hand (if I do a dual-amped rig, it's handy too).

I guess I'm just posting to lament over the idea that sometimes you have to sell stuff. I love this tele, but it just doesn't play the same way my strat does. My hands are small, and the strat fits them better.

So life goes on. :?

flea
Orange Master

Re: Selling things you love but don't use any more... :(

Post by flea » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 pm

I hear you, I almost sold my DL-4 delay last week, and was about to take it off the board and I just couldn't. Even though I use the Echo Pro delay 10 times more than the DL-4, it's still useful on stuff where the bpm isn't set.

BrianGT
Duke of Orange

Post by BrianGT » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:11 pm

I do that kind of thing Neil.......I know where you are coming from.

I had a drummer friend who I had played with years ago who wanted to get back together some years later but he couldn't afford a drum kit. I traded a couple of guitars I didn't really use and got him a kit.........we played together for 10 years!
The difference is that I knew him from the past......be careful that you don't get taken advantage of with a guy you don't know.
I know the amp would be yours but you are doing it for the sake of the band...very comendable just be wary.
Good luck! :wink:
BrianGT
http://www.myspace.com/gentlethunderband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Brian brings up a good point. Even as hard as it is to find people to play with, I would never sell anything of mine to fund someone else' musical exploits. Even considering it would be your equipment, if you don't have any interest of playing bass in your band, why spend your hard earned money or sell your beloved equipment for someone else who may or may not be in the band in xxx months?

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:06 am

Yep, you'll regret that.

The Terror Bass is awesome though! :lol:
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:06 am

No, I think you guys have a good point. It's just something I want to have. If/when we get into a new place soon, I want to have a bass amp handy to jam with or have buddies come jam with me, so I want to have something I can really own and use myself. I don't mind funding $300 worth of bass amp, as that's kind of my target price for something (really cheap, I know, and that's why I'm okay with it, I don't want to fund a SVT 8x10" 1000W stack only to have him bail on us after a week).

It's listed. Let's hope it sells. I put it a bit higher than I think the market is looking for (though I honestly think it's worth 3 times what I'm selling it at). We'll see. Just one of those "ho-hum, guess I'm moving on" kind of things.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:59 am

"Selling things you love but don't use anymore"

Hey, good idea. I should do that too. I thought I would share my list:

1. Parachute Pants

2. Bedazzler

3. Toe-nail Clippers

4. Rick Allen Signature Model Drumstick

5. Toilet Paper

6. Meth Lab

DoctorJay
Orange Expert

Post by DoctorJay » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:53 am

Randy Bass wrote:"Selling things you love but don't use anymore"

Hey, good idea. I should do that too. I thought I would share my list:

1. Parachute Pants

2. Bedazzler

3. Toe-nail Clippers

4. Rick Allen Signature Model Drumstick

5. Toilet Paper

6. Meth Lab
You're a worry...
Jarret
Duesenberg Starplayer TV, American Special Tele (white)
Alvarez AJ60 12-string Jumbo acoustic, Takamine EF340
TT, 410 Cabinet, H&K Tubemeister 18 combo
Meinl Pickup Cajon

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:50 am

I know what you mean Neil, it's always a tug on the old emotions.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:21 pm

I was interested - right up until I read "10 lbs."! Holy Hannah! I'd need a roadie to hold it for me. :oops:

Seriously - that's a very nice looking Tele Neil. I hope it goes for good $$$. Have you put a notice on it over at the TDPRI?
Greg

lamp
Tiny Terror

Post by lamp » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Is a difficult one for sure. I've done this on a few occasions - most notably with my RV50 and Tiny Terror. Both went for things that I use more, though was pretty hard, especially the Rockerverb - I miss that one.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:30 pm

i haven't had to yet, but i would also be wary of buying a bass amp for someone else. but it makes sense. i wish i had a little cheap bass/amp to play around with. i did, and then sold it for the engagement ring and now i miss it. oh well. no biggie.

sad about that tele tho. maybe another project for Oler Audio?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:I was interested - right up until I read "10 lbs."! Holy Hannah! I'd need a roadie to hold it for me. :oops:

Seriously - that's a very nice looking Tele Neil. I hope it goes for good $$$. Have you put a notice on it over at the TDPRI?
Haha, yeah, it's a boat anchor, but I honestly feel it really lends itself to the tone, it's a very special tone, absolutely perfect. I don't even know the pickups in it, I believe they're american standards I got from Randy Parsons a few years back (yeah, Randy Parsons who made Jack White his custom Gretch with the mic in it :D), and they sound perfect to me. I just don't play this guitar. :(

I've not put a post up at TDPRI, I'm not sure they'd like my "fender decal but it's not a fender" thing. I didn't do it myself, the neck plays every bit as good as any 52 tele RI I've ever played, but it's chunkier than my little hands can handle (though they did handle it wonderfully for years, then I got my Warmoth, and the rest is history).
Nork wrote:i haven't had to yet, but i would also be wary of buying a bass amp for someone else. but it makes sense. i wish i had a little cheap bass/amp to play around with. i did, and then sold it for the engagement ring and now i miss it. oh well. no biggie.

sad about that tele tho. maybe another project for Oler Audio?
I sold my Warmoth strat to get a ring for my lovely lady, and then the guy I sold it to sold it back to me a few years after that. Bless his heart. He's some rich guy living in the North West, so it wasn't much to him, but it was everything to me.

Oler Audio is going to grow into something a little more...shall we say..."Ironclad"... ;)

miss fitz

Post by miss fitz » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:59 am

How timely this thread is for me... I just listed my Epiphone Riviera 12 string for sale... Love that guitar, but never use it. I have small hands, and its kind of a chore for me to play. Its gorgeous though, I wish I could justify keeping it forever, but I'm sure there's someone in the world who will play the hell out of it-- and they deserve it more than I :)

I try to remind myself -- "If you love it, let it go!"

Ha ha... There should be a 12 step program for this...

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:34 am

I'm gonna play the devils advocate (again). :oops:

You're a young man with a very young family looking to invest in your own home. Who is it that's not committed enough to join your band with working gear ready to go?

Having said that, I provide a huge PA and lights for my band (that I benefit from too) so who am I to give advice.

I have sold some less than perfect gear over time to fund more gear or even buy groceries. Keep what is next to your heart, the rest will soon be forgotten.

HTH
Here we go; three, four...