using my twin reverbs speakers for my princeton

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hithere
Orange Expert

using my twin reverbs speakers for my princeton

Post by hithere » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:48 am

I know this is off topic, but I can't get the right answer anywhere

1. I have been doing it with great success, but wanted to confirm that it was ok. The twin reverb runs at 4 ohms while the princeton runs at 8. I only run the twin reverbs speakers with my princeton, thus I am not running the princeton speaker at the same time.

The twin reverb speakers are rated at 8ohms, so I just wanted to confirm it was safe. (some have said that the two 8 ohm speakers make it either 4 ohms or 16 ohms so I am confused)

2. I need an extension cable of sorts, because my twin reverb's speaker cable only reaches so far, and I usually have the amps back to back to do it.

I would rather the princeton be able to sit on top of the twin. thanks!

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Re: using my twin reverbs speakers for my princeton

Post by ESBlonde » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 am

Ah the old impedence question again.

Each cone label says 8 Ohm nominal impedence right?

So in series (Where the signal runs through one cone then the other before returning to the amp) 8 + 8 = 16 Ohm (but thats not how its wired in the twin)

In parallel (where it goes to both cones at the same time) 8 Ohms each divided by the two cones = 4 Ohms (as in the twin).

So you are OK as you are. To run the cable a little longer make a speaker lead with a trailing jack socket on one end and a 1/4" plug on the other. You're good to go.

Does that 'splain it OK?
Here we go; three, four...

hithere
Orange Expert

Re: using my twin reverbs speakers for my princeton

Post by hithere » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:14 pm

hey es thanks for the response, the reason I had to ask again, was i am getting different answers everywhere, and as far as I can see the speakers are wired for 4 ohms, like you said, and the princeton runs at 8, so it is not really the best idea.

I suppose I really need to get an 8 ohm cab