Question: Can Effects loop cause damage????

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Sethery
Orange Hero

Question: Can Effects loop cause damage????

Post by Sethery » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 am

So here's what happened. I have my guitar gear at my friends house where we have band practice. Another friend who didn't have permission to use my ROCKERVERB 50 head plugged in and played on it. The thing that worries me is that there was a cable plugged into the "send" jack of the effects loop, and also another cable pluged into the "return" jack, but there was no effect in between them, they were just dangling there. Can this damage anything internally in the amp??

I usually have a sonic maximizer in this empty spot, but took it out to replace the battery. I turned my amp on and played it with the cables dangling where they were how i described above, and it gave a very weak sound with barely any volume even almost cranked all the way up, but went back to normal when i placed my sonic maximizer pedal back into the loop.

So, can this have caused any damage while the amp was on and turned up?? or should i just chill out? haha
Love, Seth.
Orange PPC-212
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb dual rectifier
Rockerverb50H
PRS Custom 22 ten-top
Ibanez "law suit" Les Paul
Ibanez Jet King
Lots of Pedals (Gonkulator Ring Modulator is my favorite)
http://www.myspace.com/sethsoloproject
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27795172@N05/

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: Question: Can Effects loop cause damage????

Post by Neiloler » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:51 am

I'd say chill way out. ;)

the fx loop is mire than likely a series fx loop, meanin that all the signal goes through it. When nothing is plugged in, the jacks bypass out the fx loop. With a pedal into the fx loop, it goes from the preamplifier, out to the fx loop and pedal, and then back into the power amp. If you plug cables into the fx loop but don't put a pedal there, you've simply broken the chain, much like if you were to plug a cable into your amp's input without anything plugged into the cable.

Long of the short: you're fine. If you don't like people playing on your amp, or more importiantly if you don't feel your gear is being given the proper respect, take it home with you. You're lucky to have a head and cab for that (I wish I had that). :)