What headphones do you use for listening to music at home?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

What headphones do you use for listening to music at home?

Post by Deacon Blues » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:26 pm

I want to get a quality set of headphones. I've been using these cheap sony ones for a while and i want to get good ones. Value is important. I want to spend under 100.
Last edited by Deacon Blues on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

CD9266
Orange Master

Re: What headphones do you use for listening to music at home?

Post by CD9266 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:45 pm

Um, the HP ones that came with my $1600 laptop that I bought in August '08. Since then, the volume control has the cable and wires hanging out of it, and I'm missing one of the ear sleeves. I use them for click tracks when I'm recording and when I'm out walking. I need new ones for when I'm out walking that aren't gonna fall apart and I think I've established that "quality sound" out of headphones when out walking means absolutely nothing. I need something that's gonna stay in my ear without me having to push them back in every minute and is gonna be able to withstand being pulled around a little bit, heat and cold, and a bit more wear and tear.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Gaerc

Post by Gaerc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:58 pm

I use a bose on-ear for when I'm on the move. I find it to have a very decent sound and a good isolation from background noise even if there only on ear and not over-ear. The sound is quite bass heavy though and I do find it hard to wear them longer than about 1 hour because it fits quite snug... All in all a good piece of kit, but on the expensive side. They were listed € 180 when I got them ( I got them for € 100 ). Almost forgot to mention, the cable is quite short, but you do get a small extension with it, together with a decent case to take along in whatever travelbag or backpack you like.

At home I tend to use a sennheisser. I think it's an hd500 and I've had it for ten years now. These are over-ear, but an open construction. This means that if you are used to a more than average volume your family members will be more than able to enjoy your favorite tunes along with yourself :D. But again, very decent headphones. Don't remember what I payed for them, but not to cheap I believe.. On the other hand, I've had them for ten years now and have used them from simply listening to music up to using them while playing guitar. This equals a lot of wear and tear and only recently my cable is dying :(. But the cable is easily detached and can be bought separately(+1). The cable is a good 3 meters long.

Cheers and good hunting.

PS:I guess with headphones 'try before you buy' is a good attitude as well, if possible of course.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better"

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:04 pm

I use these (AKG K301) for just listening to music when I don't want to use my speakers and they're really nice, but it's not much help to suggest them to you as they're long-since discontinued!! ;)

Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:04 pm

I have a pair of Bose on-ears. They sounded better than their headphones. Normal I am not a Bose fan, but these sounded good.

My headphones are ATH-40 somethings from AudioTechnica. Good for early mixing, recording, and listening. About $60 a set. Flat response curve.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:09 pm

I just bought "hi-fi stereo headpones" from VV for $2. they don't even have a brand name haha, they sound ok.

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:16 pm

I have a set of Shures (I think, I'm not near them right now but I think that's what they are) studio headphones. They were not cheap (150-200), but I got them for free since my old room mate left them with me when he moved to another country. Sound great, mastered one album between them and studio monitors.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 am

i got a great deal on some studio-quality 'flat response' audio technica headphones a couple of years back - wouldn't have bought them at retail price but these were half price - so i got a LOT of headphone for $250
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

princepudding
Tiny Terror

Post by princepudding » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:42 pm

if you want in ear i would say go with the shures. or you could check out those klipsch ones they have out now

miggs55

Post by miggs55 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:32 pm

My wife just bought me a pair of shure in ears. I think they're the se115s. They sound pretty good and have really good bass response and pretty clear overall. I have an earpiece in my ear for 10 hours a day at work so sometimes the last thing I want to do is stick more things in my ear.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:34 pm

I have a pair of Studio Kans- great for recording. Koss drivers and no leakage for overdubs- I think they're 29db noise elimination

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=446900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and less than a C-note!

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:06 am

thanks Billy i'll check em out
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16 am

Deacon Blues wrote:thanks Billy i'll check em out
Alex, one caveat- if you happen to wear glasses the pressure that the 'phones put on you might be really uncomfortable....