R.I.P. Jay Reatard

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mre1208
Orange Expert

R.I.P. Jay Reatard

Post by mre1208 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 am

Jody Callahan wrote:Memphis musician Jay Reatard found dead in Midtown home

Memphis musician Jimmy Lee Lindsey Jr., better known as Jay Reatard, was found dead in his home in Midtown's Cooper-Young neighborhood this morning, according to family and friends. He was 29.

Lindsey was found in his home on Meda around 3:30 a.m., Memphis Police spokesman Jennifer Robinson said. Friends said his roommate found Lindsey in bed.

Homicide investigators have opened an investigation into Lindsey's death, Robinson said. Such an investigation is typical for an unexpected death and doesn't necessarily indicate any evidence of foul play.

Friends say Lindsey had been complaining of flu-like symptoms lately.

The news shocked much of the Memphis music community, many of whom found out while they were attending the memorial service for soul great Willie Mitchell.

"It hasn’t hit me yet. It’s a major loss for me as someone who really loved Jay as a person and as an artist," said Scott Bomar, who has worked with Lindsey in the past.

Goner Records, which released some of Lindsey's records, posted this statement on its Web site this afternoon: "It is with great sadness that we report the passing of our good friend Jay Reatard. Jay died in his sleep last night. We will pass along information about funeral arrangements when they are made public."

His current label, Matador Records, posted this statement: "We are devastated by the death of Jimmy Lee Lindsey Jr., aka Jay Reatard. Jay was as full of life as anyone we’ve ever met, and responsible for so many memorable moments as a person and artist. We’re honored to have known and worked with him, and we will miss him terribly."

Lindsey emerged on the Memphis music scene as the leader of late-'90s punk outfit The Reatards. He co-fronted the cult-favorite synth-punk act Lost Sounds in the early portion of this decade. More recently, Lindsey had risen to international prominence in indie-rock circles on the strength of his recent solo releases. After a string of hot-selling singles on New York-based indie label Matador Records, he released the full-length album Watch Me Fall on Matador last August.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... idtown-ho/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: R.I.P. Jay Reatard

Post by Wendigo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 am

Soooo...his name was jay reatard? :wink: who in the living freak is this guy again?

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:35 am

well i dig his music and this is really crap news :(
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm

he used to be on a label called....GONER records? man. that's weird.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

So his real name is Jimmy Lee Lindsey Jr, and he switched it to Jay Reatard.... :? OK, sorry he's dead... Oh I get it Jay and the Reatards........ :? ..........................
Vince

guitarmy50
Orange Expert

Post by guitarmy50 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:10 pm

Such a shame...I'm a huge fan of his stuff. Especially Blood Visions.