THUNDEROUS NAD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

klarocca
Tiny Terror

THUNDEROUS NAD

Post by klarocca » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Ordered just before new year, got the call from Allans Music today telling me it was in.
Orange Thunderverb 50 head and PPC412 straight cab. I had a Rockerverb 50 before, and the dark character of the amp (6L6's) annoyed me immensely. Enter Thunderverb. EL34's make ALL the difference. The crunch and "tightness" I craved from the RV are abundant in the TV. For those that don't know, thanks to ETR technology, the amp is compatible with basses, and though I'm not a bassist, My 69' Fender Competition Mustang sounds AMAZING. Because of this technology, as you would probably imagine, the low-end produced is fantastic, making it ideal for drop-tunings and I'd imagine 7-stringers.

I would describe the cleans on channel A as warm and full, as opposed to channel B's cleans being "pickier" and I'd imagine more "Fender-esque". As for od/distortion, Channel A id definitely the way to go for that British classic crunch, all the way up to harder classic rock. Say from AC/DC to the Gunners & The Darkness. As for channel B- definitely a modern edge. Arrivaderci 3-band eq, hello interactive shape knob. Left scoops the mids, increases the bass and treble, right does the opposite and boosts the mids. As I previosly mentioned, my Thunderverb has that "tightness" I missed in the Rockerverb.

In terms of metal, Metallica is definitely there, I don't care what other people say. Any harder than that and you may want and OD. Luckily, metal head I ain't.
Extremely versatile amplifier, amazingly transparent fx loop, foot-swithchable channel/reverb/attenuator (which is amazing by the way). The sustain it has is amazing. Think Santana leads..

The PPC412 (quad Vintage 30's) perfectly complement the amp. This really is a rad amp, and I'm really psyched. Before I pulled the trigger, other amps I tried, and didn't like as much (obviously): Marshall Plexi, JCM900, JCM800, JVM410h, and Vintage Modern.

Ok, ima go play now :liplick:

K.

E credo di essere anormale, ebbene non lo so.

buzzbomb
Rocker

Re: THUNDEROUS NAD

Post by buzzbomb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Just in case you haven't already figured it out the shape knob is neutral about in the 9:00 to 10:00 range. Thus 12:00 is slightly scooped, at least to my ears anyway. I believe it has been mentioned on here before.
Tiny Terror and PPC2x12
Thunderverb 50 and PPC4x12 Slant
'93 Gibson LP Studio, '81 Gibson Explorer, Agile 3100
1972 Traynor YGL-Mark 3 Head

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Just be careful where you point that thing. You're liable to blow those mirrors through the back of your closet! :twisted:

Congrats on the new rig!
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:27 pm

HNAD dude! Never gotten to try the Thunderverb 50. It's between this and the RV50 right now in my mind for the amp I want.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

klarocca
Tiny Terror

Post by klarocca » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:37 pm

Cool, thanx guys. So any TV owners want to share some fav settings?

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:02 pm

are cleans on the B channel usable? i like the punch TV has, and i like the cleans on A channel, but i also like the drive on the A channel. the B sounds a bit too modern, you can get some great metal tones from it but i'm not really a metalhead when playing and making music...i don't like the scooped sound and i lack the normal eq. seems great for boosting though. but if cleans aren't good on B than that really makes it a one channel amp (with boost) for me. i'm asking this because i am considering trading my RV for a TV maybe sometime in the future.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:09 pm

klarocca wrote:Cool, thanx guys. So any TV owners want to share some fav settings?
If Y0UNGBL00D finds this thread, i'm sure he'll have some for you.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

buzzbomb
Rocker

Post by buzzbomb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Occassionaly, when my arm is about to fall off from trying to strum Johnny Ramone style, we will play this slow tempo'd heavier stuff, not trying to sound like anybody just doing our thing. I set the amp to channel B, Attn. 1:00, no reverb, Vol. 3:00, Shape 1:00 and gain 3:00, on the guitar (LP with BKP Warpigs) I turn to the neck pickup with vol. at 8 (1meg pot) and tone to 5 (500k pot with .022 Jensen copper foil cap.). Nice heavy fuzz tone, the bassist basically puts his bass down and drinks a beer. In our jam space this sounds pretty cool, mabey it's the acoustics.
Tiny Terror and PPC2x12
Thunderverb 50 and PPC4x12 Slant
'93 Gibson LP Studio, '81 Gibson Explorer, Agile 3100
1972 Traynor YGL-Mark 3 Head

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Much speak about NAD's lately. Here's a Thunderous NAD for you:

David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm glad you found the amp you are happy with. I tried the TV50 and I really enjoyed Channel A, but I am a RV50 fanatic and that's why I love the RV50. Channel A is similar to it and then Channel B on the TV is a whole nother level of distortion. I just preferred my super saturated gain channel and really needed the clean channel.

Have you had time to play around with the Attenuator much? How do you think it effects the sound and how effective is it for you?
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Orphin wrote:Much speak about NAD's lately. Here's a Thunderous NAD for you:

http://www.glop.org/nad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:21 am

Here! Haha.

Firstly,happy NAD. We TV50 owners are few and far between and a proud group!

Love mine for sure. Some notes/settings:
My shape knob is level at noon. Strange.
Depending on my guitar and mood, I have been switching back and forth as to which channel I use for my drive sound. Lately I've been going for a slightly modern drive tone, with a jangly sparkling clean on channel A. Volume full, gain 9-11 o'clock, EQ set with a slight bass boost as the channel is naturally full of highs and mids. Channel B volume halfish, shape noon to one, gain at one to three o'clock. Attenuator set to situation, reverb eight oclock.

For a more vintage drive with an almost American clean, I pretty much just switch volume and drive settings for the channels and bump the mids on channel A.

Lately I have been experimenting extensively with the effects loop. I've bunn running my small stone, voodoo tremolo, deluxe memory man, mxr micro amp, boss rc 20 and ehx voice box through it. For a greasy, grimy, vintage jimmy page style od, I crank the micro amp in the loop. Pure power amp drive without overdriving the pres at all.

The ETR technology is really cool for bass, I do downtune occasionally,but where it helps me besides great sounding lowend, is the octave sweeping effects and synths from my fm4 which I use a ton of. Great effects in the background of the tone, not in front like a chorus or phase.

Some things to look out for, occasionally under what I assume to be abnormal power conditions, the relays will act up, messing with switching channels andsometimes causing really odd crossover feedback noise that downs channel B usually. It manifests as a high pitched squeal and can be manipulated with gain. This hardly ever occurs and hasn't in a long while. I sent it to orange but they couldn't get it to do it even with a variac, and it hasn't done it since. Maybe the ups guy fixed it. Haha

All in all, great, unique amp that doesn't get a lot of love, probably due to the price point and relatively unproven rep. It has served me well for going on two years and is the jealousy of most guitarplayers around here.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

klarocca
Tiny Terror

Post by klarocca » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:54 am

WOW! Thanks man. I really could not be happier with the amp to be honest. I really do think It's amazing.

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:24 am

I *really* want a TV... I think it'd probably be my perfect amp! Jealous ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:37 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:I *really* want a TV... I think it'd probably be my perfect amp! Jealous ;)
I also think so. :) I checked out your band sometime ago and saw some live performances on youtube and my thoughts were "why doesn't this guy use a RV or a TV?". In my humble opinion your sound needs a bit more balls to really deliver that frenzy you do on stage. Don't get me wrong, your AD is great, but i think you're more of a "head (50 watts or more) and 4x12" kind of guy. :) I think AD140 would also do you justice.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II