CLAPTON TONE

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

AndyOz

CLAPTON TONE

Post by AndyOz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:55 am

Hello, I'm new in this forum.

I have an Orange Crush 30R amp since a couple of days. I think is a great amp although It cost only 200Euros.
I play classic rock and I'm trying to get a Clapton Tone with my strat.
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance.

P.S. You can see my gears in my signature!
Squier Affinity Stratocaster with Fender SCN - Ibanez TS10 - Orange Crush 30R Combo

kittenface
Orange Master

Re: CLAPTON TONE

Post by kittenface » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:35 am

start with the neck pickup

go from there

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:42 am

Sell the Crush and take out a second mortgage to fund a vintage Bluesbreaker? ;) I could also wheel out the old cliche that tone like Clapton's is in his fingers... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I'm not sure any Orange is the right amp if you're trying to nail Clapton's tone, but particularly not a cheap solid state practice amp. If you're stuck with the Crush I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about not being able to emulate that tone in your head - frankly, with that amp, you're just not going to get it. Sorry!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:57 am

Also, try $1800 USD worth of heroin per week like Clapton did.

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:02 am

Then you would at least think you have Clapton's tone!

AndyOz

Post by AndyOz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:13 am

Well, Sincerly I'm not sure about the tone I want... :roll:

I am 15 years old and that amp it's just perfect for me ( I play in my room and sometimes with my friends in a practice room with Marshall valve amps).

Which settings do you advise me for a Rock Sound (like Jimmy Page and Knopfler)?

I tried this:

Reverb:0 Low: 3,5 Mid: 8 Volume: 3-4 Level:4-5 Gain: 7

However the first thing I have to do is learn to play good!
Squier Affinity Stratocaster with Fender SCN - Ibanez TS10 - Orange Crush 30R Combo

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 am

Wow, 15 years and into classic rock, I salute you.
I think with a little tweaking you will get lots of different tones out of your strat, amp and TS10(btw, SRV used this one on his latter records and gigs). But wich Clapton tone do you mean? That cream-woman-tone or that latter more high-ganish solosound?
There's lots of Claptoninfo on this great site: http://12bar.de/
cheers

danbond
Orange Expert

Post by danbond » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 am

Its hard (impossible) to tell you which settings to use to get certain sounds - this is dependent on your guitar and pickups, but as the above people have posted, just try to get the best sound you can from your amp - it won't ever sound like a JCM800 or a Plexi or a fender or whatever.

The crush is fine for practice and jamming or whatever, but it has its own voice and its a pretty limited amp in that sense. Maybe you might want to consider selling it to fund (I cannot believe i am going to say this) a Line 6 or Vox solid state amp - they have specific voicings for certain classic sounds and will sound more authentic than your orange will.

AndyOz

Post by AndyOz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 am

"Wow, 15 years and into classic rock, I salute you. "

What's strange? Not every teenager play metal music!

However, Which modify can I make on my gears? I already substituted the PU's (now It's a lot better than before).

For which music style are Orange good? I bought my because i loved the clean-crunchy sound...

spectre
Tiny Terror

Post by spectre » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:40 am

Wendigo wrote:Also, try $1800 USD worth of heroin per week like Clapton did.
flea wrote:Then you would at least think you have Clapton's tone!

HeHeHe!
_________________________**Spectre**_________________________

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:44 pm

Use the in-between position on your Strat's pickup selection switch so you get the neck and middle and then the bridge and middle. That's a pretty good Clapton sound. Set the amp so it's just distorting, not overly distorting and you'll be in good shape! After that, it's practice, practice, practice.

Welcome to the forum!

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:49 pm

hey the line6/bogner amps aren't half bad.

but like billy says, practice the eff out of it. and save up for a proper valve amp!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

danbond wrote:The crush is fine for practice and jamming or whatever, but it has its own voice and its a pretty limited amp in that sense. Maybe you might want to consider selling it to fund (I cannot believe i am going to say this) a Line 6 or Vox solid state amp - they have specific voicings for certain classic sounds and will sound more authentic than your orange will.
He'd be better off buying a small tube amp - tones like Clapton's are hard to find in solid state or modelling amps. Line 6 stuff excels at high gain mush with tight low end, but is weakest in that 'edge of breakup' territory where real tube sag and an amp's resposiveness to playing dynamics make all the difference.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:50 pm

i would say that the orange rocker 30 'natural' channel is your best bet at a clapton tone...

seriously - - the dirt chanels on the oranges i have owned/tried will not get you there

but remember, clapton really just ripped off duane allman's tone - so my advice is to find out what duane used and go with that ;)
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

AndyOz

Post by AndyOz » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Thanks to everybody!
Thinking about the difficult to find "Clapton tone" i decided to improve myself playing hours and hours and, then, buy a good valve amp (which i can use at home, so not soooo powerfullllllll). So now I only need practice.

Another question: I putted Samarium Cobalt noiseless pickups on my Squier but I'm not an expert player. Did anyone of you has these pickups? If yes, how do you feel they?

Sorry for my english but I am Italian and I'm still learning it....