close an open back

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

KaioMC
Tiny Terror

close an open back

Post by KaioMC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 am

Hi, I own the 212cab with the open back and I'm curious how my Rockerverb would sound with a closed back. Never tried to close it with a piece of wood and can't try it until next week, so I wanted to know if someone has already done it and whether it sounds similar to a closed back.

Nork
Orange Master

Re: close an open back

Post by Nork » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:36 am

it'll be more punchy, focused and probably get more of the bass come out at ya instead of go out the back wit the increased bass response more CB's have. it'll be more directional, as opposed to an OB's tendency to be "filly".

and it'll sound pretty big and solid like the orange CB's are known for.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

KaioMC
Tiny Terror

Post by KaioMC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:16 pm

@nork
yeah, that's what I hope to get by doing the closed back mod.

Just found this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHffYKEHzPI

I think this could work, but I shouldn't use magnets or should I?
Maybe I'll find some kind of clipping system at IKEA?

But what about a foam?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgBpuIAvSUk

This guy has put one in. Is it necessary?

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Bear in mind that if you don't secure it thoroughly, the rear will likely vibrate and 'fart out' on low notes. Nice long screws are probably the best way to do this.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

KaioMC
Tiny Terror

Post by KaioMC » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:36 pm

Oh, you're right :?
But it shouldn't be a permanent mod, so regarding that strong magnets would suck the life out of the speakers at least that's what I think :mrgreen: I should stick with a push-fit system, but what about the foam?

spectre
Tiny Terror

Post by spectre » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm looking to do the same thing to the same cab...... the 18mm birch plywood is pretty accessible from DIY stores.......

Havn't seen the vids yet (I will), but would imagine long screws should do the trick.

I'm very impressed with the build quality of the OB cab. I was getting the CB cab for a similar price but preferred the OB, simply because you can add or remove a small panel at will.
_________________________**Spectre**_________________________

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:05 pm

spectre wrote:I was getting the CB cab for a similar price but preferred the OB, simply because you can add or remove a small panel at will.
Of course, you could always add or remove the back panel of the CB at will! ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 pm

avatar speakers does something similar, and it mounts with 1" screws. not sure how exactly, or whether you have to the back off to put it on. i imagine you do. what about matamp? they might be good for questions.

but there are many cabs that do some sort of conversion. screws would probably be your best choice. i'm not sure that magnets would really affect your speaker tone. depending on how far they are from the speaker(s) themselves, i'd imagine. sounds like something for andy to pipe in on.

but teddy's right, lol. just unscrew the back! :P
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:35 am

It will be a crap shoot as to whether you can get strong enough magnets to make the back panel stable without adversely affecting the operation of the speakers. Generally, the presence of additional magnets oriented in any way other than a radially-symmetrical array would induce asymmetrical magnetic forces on the voice coil, which is never good. If the magnets were sufficiently weak that they would not have a significant impact on the operation of the speakers, they would probably be ineffective for preventing the new back panel from resonating in an unsympathetic manner.

If you want an unobtrusive option that works, install some "cleats" to fasten the back panel to. This would be small strips of birch plywood that you screw into the inside of the side panels of the cab. When (or if) you decide to remove the fill panel, the cleats come out and you only have two screwholes on each side panel inside of the cab that would be very hard to see without sticking your head in the cab. Alternatively, you can just pull off the two existing panels and replace them with a new solid back panel. If you have the skills for such a project, it would yield the best results of all of your available options.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 am

ya that makes sense. i guess you'd need some serious magnets to hold the board in place.

most of the guys that do convertible cabs do just what randy said. i realised that after i did some of my own research...but then i went to bed for my nite shift tonite.
--Nick

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:29 am

you gotta screw it on

no biggie ... at all