did you hear the one about the drummer on xmass.....?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Taronja
Orange Master

did you hear the one about the drummer on xmass.....?

Post by Taronja » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:39 am

i know what you thought :wink:

AND!

NO! this is not a thread dedicated to bag on drummers and sharing your lame drummer jokes :roll:

anyway, i bought myself these bad boys yesterday. 18, 20 inch. and im returning the little cute one, its was part of the pack and in order to get the online deal (in store) i had to buy all three, but after looking at my sales slip i noticed that they sold me them individually but adjusted the price as to match the online deal, so it looks like i can just go back with the splash and return it :D

for those of you that dont know, these cymbals are awesome :wink:
they are made from B20 bronze and can take a beating from really hard hitting drummers like myself, these things weren't cheap, but i needed em, the last AAX crash cymbals by Sabian i had finally cracked, i bought them when i was 18, im 36 now, so YEAH, i got my moneys worth and had to go for them again. im still using the old ride cymbal. these really sound fantastic. full bodied and round. even the center bell on both sound great and thats a major plus.

cymbals are one of those things you should not buy online, its much better to hear them and pick out some that are in tune with one another.

Last edited by Taronja on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Drdos
Orange Master

Re: christmas for drummers

Post by Drdos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 pm

I think Sabian make some of the best sounding cymbals on the market.. Zillgian cymbals are very dark sounding to me. The AAX series cymbals are really nice. Congrats
Vince

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Drdos wrote:I think Sabian make some of the best sounding cymbals on the market.. Zillgian cymbals are very dark sounding to me. The AAX series cymbals are really nice. Congrats
yeah, AAX series are really something. the higher end Zillgian's like the A customs are nice, but every one i get i seem to crack. i play real hard, so i need durable cymbals. the AAX series has done me well, having had some that lasted me about 18 years of serious abuse, but we will see how they are made these days.

Jon
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:17 pm

Taronja wrote:
Drdos wrote:I think Sabian make some of the best sounding cymbals on the market.. Zillgian cymbals are very dark sounding to me. The AAX series cymbals are really nice. Congrats
yeah, AAX series are really something. the higher end Zillgian's like the A customs are nice, but every one i get i seem to crack. i play real hard, so i need durable cymbals. the AAX series has done me well, having had some that lasted me about 18 years of serious abuse, but we will see how they are made these days.

Jon
Once played with a drummer who took full swings at his cymbals... I swear I lost hearing in my left ear because of his Crash.. He played Zillgians and would always crack them(Along with many broken sets of sticks), but always swore by them... I'm not a drummer but I have to say I really prefer the sound of higher end sabians to other brand cymbals.. Another drummer I played with used the AAX series and really liked the sound of them, but he also used an Ayote custom drum set that I really liked as well...
Vince

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Re: did you hear the one about the drummer on xmass.....?

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:34 pm

You know why breaks are only 15 minutes?

So you don't have to retrain the drummer.

How many guitarists does it take to play a solo?

1 to play it and 100 to speculate on how they could have done it better.

What do Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and in-tune bassists have in common?

They are all fictional.

How many singers does it take to change a light bulb?

1, he just stands still while the rest of the world revolves around him.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:41 pm

blackcloud45 wrote:You know why breaks are only 15 minutes?

So you don't have to retrain the drummer.

How many guitarists does it take to play a solo?

1 to play it and 100 to speculate on how they could have done it better.

What do Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, and in-tune bassists have in common?

They are all fictional.

How many singers does it take to change a light bulb?

1, he just stands still while the rest of the world revolves around him.
hehehe Needed that.... Do you know how to get a drummer to slow down???? Tell him to take the Domino's Delivery sign off the hood of his car.... :mrgreen:
Vince

blacklight_uk
Orange Master

Post by blacklight_uk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Man those are sweet cymbals. Best I've recorded so far though was a set of Meinl Byzance's...oh man...talk about gooey!
Josh

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Nice set!

It is interesting that when a drum set is for sale on e-bay or Craigslist, it hardly ever includes the cymbals. That's because the cymbals are usually worth more than the rest of the drum set.

The set in my basement (belonging to my son) is a mix: Zildjian hihat, two Zildjian crashes, Sabian ride, Sabian rocktagon (nothing says 80s hairband like a rocktagon), and some Splashes from a brand I am blanking on. The cymbals are worth way more the the Pearl set they surround.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stevo2112
Orange Master

Post by stevo2112 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:58 am

what's zillgian? :)
Steve

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:49 am

Even the low-end Sabians are pretty good. I have XS20 (cast) cymbals all the way around and they compare favorably to my drummer's Zildjian A Customs. I was looking at low-end Zildjians (ZBT or ZXT) when I bought my set and the ride cymbals were absolute garbage compared to the XS20.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:56 am

Our Guy cracked (badly) BOTH his paiste sig crashes last rehearsal. Even I almost cried. He's a GC manager so I guess he'll be OK.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:32 am

Borderline Productions wrote:Nice set!

It is interesting that when a drum set is for sale on e-bay or Craigslist, it hardly ever includes the cymbals. That's because the cymbals are usually worth more than the rest of the drum set.
yeah, good point. i could have bought a Tiny Terror with the cost of just these three cymbals, but i needed them and had to take the responsible route on this one.

stevo2112 wrote:what's zillgian? :)

aside from it being misspelled :wink:

The Avedis Zildjian Company is a cymbal manufacturer founded in Istanbul, Turkey by an Armenian named Avedis Zildjian during the Ottoman Empire. Currently located in the United States, it is the world's largest manufacturer of cymbals.[1] At nearly 400 years old, Zildjian is the oldest family-run business in America[2] and one of the 320 oldest companies in the world.

Jon
Member since 2005

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:44 am

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:Our Guy cracked (badly) BOTH his paiste sig crashes last rehearsal. Even I almost cried. He's a GC manager so I guess he'll be OK.
How long has he had them? Paiste have a 1 year warranty for breakages - I know this because a friend of mine in a band locally is a very hard hitter, uses the Rudes and breaks them constantly, but always gets free replacements!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:53 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:Our Guy cracked (badly) BOTH his paiste sig crashes last rehearsal. Even I almost cried. He's a GC manager so I guess he'll be OK.
How long has he had them? Paiste have a 1 year warranty for breakages - I know this because a friend of mine in a band locally is a very hard hitter, uses the Rudes and breaks them constantly, but always gets free replacements!
Rudes are supossed to be really great from what i read about them. many cymbal companies offer the one year thing. im sure if he's a GC manager he knows what the deal is thou.

Jon
Member since 2005