Acoustic string gauge question...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Acoustic string gauge question...

Post by Wendigo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:56 pm

This may seem like a funny question, but since I have been in germany (6 years or so), I havn't bought a single set of acoustic guitar strings as I've only been playing electric....
Back home I only ever asked for "light" or "medium" or "heavy" so I never really payed attention to the various gauges in millimeters or inches. My question is this...what diameter are "medium" strings for acoustic? Are they 13s or 12s?
Aside from that, I used to play d'addario phosphor bronze mediums and also sometimes dean markley but now I hear alot about elixr strings and also the elixr type from d'addario called EXP i think. Aynoe know about these? I think that coating the strings would make them duller wouldn't it? I want really huge sounding bassy strings with rich full power, I dont care if they wear out quick...I'm thinking the d'addarios phosphor 13's might be the best bet?

Sicookj

Re: Acoustic string gauge question...

Post by Sicookj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:04 pm

hi mate

ive never liked elixr or any of the other coated string - i tried them about 4 years ago and disliked the feel under my fretting fingers more than the tone difference although there was a slightly dukller sound out of my gibson j185 when played acoustically..

in terms of string names, i only play 12s on acoustic which on the rotosound pack in front of me are called medium light.... on martins i use the red packet which are also 12s - they give the best compromise between tone and bendable notes in my experience hehe (They dont last forever bust make my guitar sound fantastic when they are fresh).

hope this helps man
cheers si

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:28 pm

I have used Elixirs quite a bit because of laziness, but they definitely do not sound the best. The best sounding strings that I have played are Martin 80/20 Bronze. I have extra lights (.010-.047) but they will obviously sound fuller if you get .012s or .013s. I usually get the lightest gauge strings I can find to compensate for poor action on some of my acoustics.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:05 am

Try this:

http://store.daddario.com/category/1448 ... onze_Wound" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 am

I used to use light strings on my acoustic guitar until I got my Martin and it came with medium strings. The tone is so much fuller with the mediums, that I have never gone back.

I have Elixers on the Martin right now. The big advantage is that strings last about 4 times longer. I think they sound pretty good. Other strings seemed to get clogged with skin oils and dulled much sooner than the Elixers.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:18 am

Use 12s generally... it's worth looking at 13s if your guitar soundboard is quite strong or is heavily braced. You run the risk of messing with the action and the soundboard if your guitar isn't strong enough. Most good acoustic guitars usually come stock with 12s, and they're fine.

80/20 bronze will give you a rich bright sound with lots of harmonic overtones. Phosphor bronze will dull that a little, but will last longer. I prefer them, to be honest.

Stay away from Elixirs. As far away as you can.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Bink
Orange Master

Post by Bink » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:31 am

irish_admiral wrote:Use 12s generally... it's worth looking at 13s if your guitar soundboard is quite strong or is heavily braced. You run the risk of messing with the action and the soundboard if your guitar isn't strong enough. Most good acoustic guitars usually come stock with 12s, and they're fine.

80/20 bronze will give you a rich bright sound with lots of harmonic overtones. Phosphor bronze will dull that a little, but will last longer. I prefer them, to be honest.

Stay away from Elixirs. As far away as you can.
Completely agree with joe! 8)
Chris
PRS CU22
Present: TT, PPC 112 (Heritage G12M)
Past: AD15
Image Image

Jabberwocky
Orange Expert

Post by Jabberwocky » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Yeah I always use .012 on steel acoustics. .011 are light and easy to play but not very ballsy, .013 are very ballsy but killer on the fingers and can do funny things to your neck and sound board if the guitar is a little delicate.

Rotosound, Martin and D'Addario are my favourites from the stable, and I too did not like the Elexirs......
Fender USA Standard Stratocaster
Gordon Smith Galaxy
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Faith Jupiter Jumbo Acoustic
Orange Rocker 30 HD
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC 212 OB
Lead
Plectrum
Attitude
Sorted!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 pm

I use 10's- D'Addario Extra Light Phosphor Bronze. Love em.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Yeah, you won't go wrong with most of the major brands. Just find some you like and stick with them. Job done - one less thing to worry about!

I use Martins... pretty cheap, I like the tone of them, and they last well enough for me.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:04 am

i have elixirs on my taylor right now and i like'em. they sound fine to me, and i've got string-killin' hands so they're very useful and worth the extra money.

what's the beef?

another set i like (but no one will notice now that i've stirred the pot) is a set of Martin ESP (??) the normal phosphor bronze 12's sound great.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:27 am

Lol Nick... two words were wrong there for me - Elixir and Taylor. Long story. Well, not really. Me and Taylors just don't get on.

As regards Elixirs, I would direct you to the search facility, but it's gone. The long and the short of the story is that acoustic strings mostly give you their sound by resonating. Most of the sound of string resonance is creating by sound waves vibrating in and around the string windings on the 3rd - 6th strings where the wire is wound around the core.

The more gunked up a string gets, that gap gets filled in with skin and sweat and dirt, which reduces the resonance of the strings. Elixir kindly do this for you with their polymer coating, and therefore an Elixir sounds like a normal string which has been played for a few weeks. Additionally, the polymer coating shreds too fast for my liking.

So why would I buy Elixirs? Keep your guitar clean by washing your hands before playing and a simple wipe down of the strings afterwards, and that means you don't have to change strings too regularly.

In general, they're useful for shops where people don't wash their hands before playing, or clean off after. Additionally if you've got very corrosive sweat, then they may help. Alternately, you don't like to tone of very new strings.

Not otherwise in my book... you just get charged twice the price for a pack of strings which sound twice as old as normal uncoated.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Tugboat30

Post by Tugboat30 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi everybody,

Have to trough in my experience. First of of all, the quest for the right acoustic string is almost like the quest for the holy grale. In my humble opinion, it depends very much on the guitar itself which brand and which sort of string (phosphor bronze, 80/20 bronze, 80/15 bronze....) matches best. Basically can I say, if you want mids take phosphor bronze and if you want big lows and ringing highs you better off with 80/20 bronze. D'Addario EXPs are a little more expensive, of course but I think they are the best so far. As for the coated ones. Natural feel and way less undefined sounding like Elixir.

I am afraid to say, that it might take a few bucks more and some time to determine the right set of acoustic strings. Okay, I must admit I don't take much care of the price. It's not because I am rich. It's just the pleasure to play good quality strings. Feel free to call me a snob :wink:

A word about string gauges. Keep sticking with 12s first. Because there are already about 60 kilos string tension with them. With 13s you can easily end up with aound 80 kilos. And not every guitar is build to take that. Even over a long period. 12s are pretty standard. You normaly can't go wrong with them.

A last one, phosphor bronze strings need a higher tension to get to pitch than 80/20s i.e..
Cheers,
Daniel

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Elixirs are cool if you play your guitar twice a month or less. Your strings will stay fresh for years :D while uncoated would corrode
If you play more, get regular strings

Alan The Tank Engine
Rocker

Post by Alan The Tank Engine » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:45 pm

Bensen wrote:Elixirs are cool if you play your guitar twice a month or less. Your strings will stay fresh for years :D while uncoated would corrode
If you play more, get regular strings
i love elixers, i play all the time and they work great for me. they last a very long time and still sound amazing