so is it finally time for me to go orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hithere
Orange Expert

so is it finally time for me to go orange?

Post by hithere » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:03 am

hey guys, like always you always help me out, through a lot of my repetitive questions.

Anyway I have been playing various fender blackface amps for the last 4 years, and ever since my drive sound has been a struggle.

The cleans are wonderful, but my current princeton reverb is a real struggle to get a pleasing drive sound out of, especially with single coils.

Ever since I played a tiny terror at the store, I have been thinking its time for me to start spending my money on some brit amps, hell I started on a marshall mg!

as you guys have probably heard me say a million times I love ryan adams tone, and was about to spend the money on a tone tubby alnico speaker, and though I know it will darken the amp, I still prefer his humbucker tone to his strat tone. Which is definitely just more of a circuit thing. even with my jensen I definitely find my humbuckers much more useable.

anyway I am thinking about possibly picking up a 2x12 orange instead,

I got my eyes on an ac 30/orange tiny terror/ad30tc/ and a marshall for the future.

so I am thinking perhaps it's time to stop spending money on something that's not working out for me.

ps. I know pete townshend uses v30s (like the orange cab) in his fender amp, perhaps the princeton may sound interesting through some v30s?

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Re: so is it finally time for me to go orange?

Post by tony_clifton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:00 am

If I had to swap a speaker in the PRRI, I'd put a Blue in there. Just because I love sparkly nature of the amp, and Blues sound pretty good overdriven (very FM-radio like).

I'm aware of the fact that this however won't be the sound you are looking for, so maybe a G10 Greenback is a better option. This should be more in between Fender and Marshall, but definitely not a V30 imo. Even Greenbacks are more commonly used in darker Fender amps like the HRDX and Blues Jr.
I'm afraid that V30s sound way to metal (at least to me), and instead of a great clean amp or a great drive amp you'll end up with somthing that sounds 'meh' all around...

Myself, I turned to the low side lately (bass player), but I've played guitar for a long time and used my dad's DRRI for quite some time. I really love it's cleans and reverb. I'd not sacrifice those for getting a better drive sound out of it... Instead, I'd love to own a PRRI and a Marshall Class 5. Fender cleans/reverb + Plexi-overdrive. And because I'm a sucker for good looks :).

That combination will cost more than a new speaker, but it would be best of both worlds and still be very portable.
Or a Tiny Terror off course. Orange is slightly dryer than Marshall, but that's a matter of taste :).

Hope this helps a bit...
I play bass.

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:43 am

yeah thanks!

the purist in me would rather a class 5.

I would rather not go on a mission to find a speaker for my princeton reverb something it's not.

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:24 pm

It's a matter of taste. I heard a lot of people say the PRRI is the benchmark tone for overdriven blackfaces, because of it's small OT (which overdrives too when you push the amp). DRRIs and Twins etc. have larger OTs, resulting in a cleaner tone.

That makes me think you just don't like the distorted-Fender sound, which is okay because there are a lot of alternatives on the market (like the TT/Class 5/... for example).
I play bass.