Orange amps - actual output

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Orange amps - actual output

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:24 pm

nguideau wrote:Andy was just discussing this in the Technical forum on a thread about the TT (comparing it to a 2061x, and how different factors result in the amps having different ratings). It would be awesome if he could chime in. :)
Oh... okay then! :D
(This is all your fault mind... Hope its worth it!) :wink:

(Quick OT...)
Right, well I had a pleasant long chat with my friend John Phillips the other day, and we did touch on this stuff for a couple of minutes. Wasn't why I was phoning him though...

As I've mentioned I've just bought a nice '74 Hiwatt DR103 'Custom 100' head. It is in Scotland right now - John has it safely tucked up at home for me. He's keeping it warm for me, powering it up now and again and planning to use it in the studio for some recording next month. Thats fine by me - powering them up now and then is actually good for valve amps, especially for older ones with older filter capacitors in them - about the only components in a valve amp with a pretty finite life expectancy. Hitting them with working voltage fairly regularly actually helps preserve their performance, and the filter caps in any amps over about 15 years old can be suspect, especially if the amp has lain unused for a while at any time. If they have degraded badly, apart from going way off spec and affecting amp performance, they may actually pop, (or even explode), leaking (/explosively spraying!) corrosive gunk around inside your amp - not good. So it is best getting them checked in any older amp - especially if it has been sitting unused for a couple of years or more at any point!

At 35 years and counting this DR103 still has its original caps. They test and perform fine too which means that this amp has been used regularly ever since being built. And in fact apart from a replacement mains socket (to comply with legal H+S regs for gigging) and replacement power valves this amp is totally original - including all the preamp valves. ( :D !)

Clearly if these amps can be used regularly for so long with no failures or repairs needed Hiwatt were doing something right. And despite what a few might tell you (Matamp! :wink: ) they - along with things like old Marshalls and Oranges - do have the reputation of being about as reliable in actual regular use as any valve instrument amps ever made.

John measured its clean power output. It's apparently putting out 135W RMS before distortion. Pretty healthy really especially when you consider how bomb proof reliable these amps are...

(We seem to be right back on topic now...) :)

How though? 135W clean with only 4 X EL34 valves? And evidently without running the thing ragged either! Heres how...

Okay, technically speaking the amp - just like a 100W 'Plexi' Marshall, or my OR120, or an AD140, or many other 4 x EL34 amps that may or may not actually say 100 watts on the label - is a 'hundred watter'. Not all 4xEL34 amps are 'hundred watters' but most are, and thats usually a pretty realistic name for them. So whats up with people talking about getting 130+ watts clean out of (some of) these amps? Well it CAN happen - it really depends on just two things: 1. the amps themselves and 2. the power valves you put in them.

Not all 100W rated 4 x EL34 amps will be able to sustain 100+ watts of clean output. Limiting factors may be the power supply (power transformer, rectifier, filter caps) as well as the output transformer, or various other circuit components / design features. (More power generally means bigger components, bigger chassis, more ventilation...) But when all these things are capable of creating and handling higher power levels than the 100W 'spec', the limiting factor is simply...

THE POWER VALVES.

So whats happening with them? Okay, couple of different situations:
First how they run in a true class A situation. (Not the TT / AD30 / AC30 so called 'class A', but true class A running like the AD5, THD Univalve or Bivalve amps!)

Genuine CLASS A running is actually very simple!
In class A running all power valves will run their full set current at all times. (Whatever the configuration, a 'single ended' single output valve amp, or an amp with one or more valve pairs in either 'parallel single ended' or 'push-pull' configuration - it doesn't matter!) Regardless of whether the amp is amplifying anything or not the total power they are putting out won't change at all, not between no signal and maximum clean power output anyway. The only thing that will change is where that power is going to.

When you aren't playing and the amp is silent the power is all going up as heat!

At full clean output 50% of that power will still go up as heat.
The other 50% of the power the valves are dissipating will, (minus some inevitable losses), go via the output transformer to your speaker(s). So thats a (theoretical) 50% maximum of the power being dissipated by the valve plates available as useful output power. (Class A is very inefficient!!!)

I say the 'full set current' because you don't have to set them to 100% of rated plate dissipation for them to be running in class A! Setting the amp to run them at less than 100% will reduce output power but won't itself take them into class A/B running. Run them at 85% dissipation if you want (and it still sounds good to you) - or run them at 45%. It'll be less loud, but every bit as class A! Doesn't say whether it'll sound good or not, but that is a totally different matter...

Whatever power level you choose to bias the amp to run the valves, they will be switched on and fully working at that set level all the time. Simple really.

I say 'maximum clean power output' because as soon as the amp exceeds that level and goes into distortion it is no longer running in class A - or any other class really! When an amp distorts it goes outwith the parameters defining operating class, and even a true class A amp will then put out more power. But talking about operating class really is meaningless unless you stay within the amps clean output range! So I won't be going there, except to say that yes you'll get more actual power output by fully saturating and then overdriving the amp.
I'm totally sticking to talking about clean amp power# here though!

OT (#Measuring clean amp power? Yes it can be measured and rated in different ways. But measuring true clean output means 'before the onset of clipping distortion'. Many / most valve instrument amp manufacturers will rate for the output at '5% total harmonic distortion' though. The power figure will be a bit higher, but makes at least some sense because (unlike with solid state amps) it'll still sound pretty clean. You'll hear 0.1% distortion from a ss amp at least as easily as several percent distortion from output valves, simply because valve distortion sounds much more natural to our ears! If you try to judge by ear when your valve amp is starting to distort that will seem to happen well after an oscilloscope trace actually starts showing early output distortion.)

Okay, thats class A. Now CLASS B running.
(No, not class A/B, just B!)

Its just a little bit more complicated, but really not so bad. Basically the difference is that in class B running all the power valves will be resting totally for half of the time. The rest of the time they will be running somewhere between zero and maximum set output current.

In class B amps the output valves are always run as 'push-pull' pairs. While in class A you can run 'push-pull' or (parallel) 'single-ended' configurations, all class B amps (and all class A/B ones too) are push-pull configuration. So what is that...?

Imagine the signal being amplified as a squiggly trace going up and down, running from left to right. Imagine a straight mid line (going left to right) which is neither up or down but bang in between. Lets call that a 'zero point'.

In class B running some valves (one of each push - pull pair) only amplify the bits of signal above that line, which we can call the 'positive' (+) signal. Other valves only amplify the bits of signal below the line, the 'negative' signal. (The separate +ve and -ve signals are derived from the 'phase splitter' or 'phase inverter' stage of the amp which is between the preamp and power amp sections. The amplified signals are then re-combined at the output transformer stage to give the full amplified waveforms.)

So all valves running in class B spend half of their time resting, and the rest of the time passing a varying level of signal current. Guess what? Its a bit like the speaker situation I was talking about recently here:
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p465271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speakers can handle temporary bursts of power above their power handling rating - as long as those peaks are not TOO high and the speakers also have time to cool off again in between.
Same with valves - they are thermal thingies too, technical name 'thermionic valves'! If they aren't having to put out power all the time then they can temporarily put more than their rated power when they actually are amplifying a signal. Just like speakers the limiting factor is heat buildup, and the important thing is to run them so that the average power produced doesn't cause thermal damage. (Red plating --> actual meltdown of the valves internals.)
As they are only running half the time, and (when running a clean signal anyway) apart from at the very highest signal peaks will still not be putting out full signal, you'll see that when actually being asked to run signal they can put out a lot more power than they could continuously handle. Simply because they get plenty rests in between you can push them much harder when they actually are working. Remember, in class B no signal = no plate current.

Guess what, class B amps are much more efficient then class A ones. If you're wondering just how much power you could get from a class B instrument amp the answer is I don't really know, but well over double that of a class A one anyway. Really doesn't matter though - because as far as I know there aren't any! Class B has its uses, but amps for musical instruments / audio aren't one of them... :wink:

Problem with class B amps is what they call 'crossover distortion'. When the signal passes across the center line between +ve and -ve signal the valve(s) on one side of the push-pull pair(s) take up the signal while the others stop putting out any power. (Resting valves are described as having gone into 'cutoff' = no signal produced. That isn't the same as clipping distortion which happens at above their maximum clean current capabilities BTW - totally different thing!)
Trouble is that it is very difficult to make the transition between signal and cutoff smooth at this crossover point and you get really nasty sounding crossover distortion with audio signals in class B amps. And it really isn't anything like the nice 'soft clipping' saturation distortion we like from our valve guitar amps - it is horrible sounding, and very obvious.

The solution used in most instrument / audio amps is to run the output devices (valves, output transistors, whatever - I'll stick to 'valves') in an intermediate state. Guess what that is called...? :wink:

In CLASS A/B running the amps valves never quite go into cutoff.
Unlike in class B running they never completely stop passing signal. But the main thing is that unlike class A they aren't passing full set current all of the time, only when full output is needed. They will be passing some current all of the time though.
What happens is that the '+ve signal' valves of each push pull pair will also amplify a little bit of the '-ve signal' part of the waveform. Not all of it though, they may only just cover the fairly low current area just negative of the 'mid line'. Similarly the -ve signal valves will also amplify a little of the +ve part of the waveform.
Unlike valves operating in single ended class A though none of them will ever go 'full wave' and amplify the whole signal.
(Again the split signals from the 'push-pull' pair halves are recombined at the output transformer stage to form the complete amplified waveforms. In a well sorted and adjusted design the crossover region around the 'zero line' will be handled smoothly without crossover distortion.)

Class A/B amps are less efficient then class B ones then, but more efficient than class A ones. All the valves are putting out some power all the time, but will only pass full current when asked to amplify the highest peaks of the waveform. So though never fully resting they are also hardly ever working at full clean output. This means of course that while getting less rest than valves running in class B they still do have plenty rest from full output. Which means that they can still be pushed quite some way past their rated plate dissipation when actually needing to amplify higher signal levels - because at lower signal levels they can still cool off some. You can't push them as hard as in class B because they get less rest, but you can on average still get double the useful working power output of class A running without causing them to thermally overload and red plate.

This explains why valves running in class A/B, can basically output their rated plate dissipation even though not working at 100% power 100% of the time. If they are working some of the time at say 70% power output they can be pushed to run temporarily to well over 100% at other times. The 'temporarily' bit is important though. They won't be able to sustain that which is why you can't normally simply bias a class A/B amp hotter and expect it to run in class A. You'll very quickly fry the valves by running them on average at above 100% of their power dissipation rating. The average is all important!!!

Which still doesn't explain how four EL34s can sustain 135W RMS CLEAN output in my Hiwatt!

Well sorry, slight apology here. After reading all the above I'm going to have to tell you that it is really quite simply down to the valves you use!

Not all valves are equal, and certainly not all EL34s. The better modern production ones will sustain the EL34 plate dissipation rating of 25W right enough. But not a lot more, and only for a few hundred hours in total before failing.
Some old ones while still rated at 25W RMS could actually sustain considerably more than 25W output without terminally red plating. And could do so for a far longer working life too. (Not hundreds but thousands of hours!) They were much better built with internal components that were like proper heavy engineering compared to the relatively flimsy modern 'to a price' components used in valve manufacturing today. The reason for this was that valves were used much more widely in all sorts of electronics, and also (especially) they were used by the military. Reliability not cost was all important so valves were usually comfortably over spec. The strongest and most consistent performing EL34s ever produced were probably the famous old Mullards. My amp is fitted with some well worn old (OS) Mullard EL34s which even look well used but may well still outlast a couple of sets of brand new modern ones - while still considerably outperforming them!

John reckons that unused NOS Mullards will happily sustain not the rated 25W but an actual real world 35W RMS usable clean output. Multiply that by 4 and you'll get a real world 140W RMS clean, which in his experience is about the upper power output limit you can expect from a healthy spec '100 watter'.
Don't expect to get that sort of power out of a set of modern EH or JJ EL34s or similar though. If you tried to bias them the same as good NOS valves to allow that much output they would red plate and burn out within minutes.

Theres your answer! (Hope it was worth the wait...) :D :wink:

A couple of last thoughts for you...

Biasing...:

Remember in the class B section I talked about the 'zero line' in the waveform. Well that 'zero line' doesn't mean zero volts! All biasing does is to shift that zero line (and with it the whole waveform) up or down the voltage scale. All you are trying to do with biasing is to fit the waveform (or whichever part of it you are asking the valves to handle) within the valves working voltage (and power handling) range. It is exactly that simple! :D

The different types of class A/B instrument amps...

Class A/B covers a lot of ground in terms of how amps run the valves. But most class A/B guitar amps tend to be at one or the other extreme. Some amps, like the (Vox based) hot running cathode biased 4 x EL84 30ish watters depend to a large extent on pushing (and punishing) the valves hard to get their sound. That is why I am reluctant to burn up expensive and increasingly rare NOS power valves in them. These are the so called 'hot running' class A/B amps! (Often incorrectly labelled as 'class A'.)

The much more efficient higher output amps like these '100 watters' are at the opposite end of the scale. They actually need to have the valves biased as cool as possible to achieve their maximum sustainable clean power. Bias them hotter and they'll run hotter at every power level and run out of steam sooner. Setting a cooler bias doesn't limit the ultimate output power in the way that many think - rather the opposite!
Setting the bias only sets the available 'power range'. Your volume control sets the actual power!!!

If biased hotter not only will the amps distort earlier, (having less clean headroom), but this will burn the valves out faster too. Old amps like my Orange and Hiwatt were totally designed to run the valves biased as cool as possible, and that is the way to get the best power and reliability with them. This is why you'll read people like John and myself saying we really don't hold with biasing them up near the theoretical 70% maximum idling plate dissipation figure. That really is a maximum guideline figure, beyond which - specially with modern valves - you'll red plate the valves very quickly when you turn the amp up! With these amps, where the limiting factor to power and reliability is the valves themselves, it is better to get them as close to the class B end while still staying above the 'crossover distortion threshold'. That way you get great tone, great output and great reliability.

And IMO (just my opinion!) these more efficient amps are exactly the right place to use NOS or used 'OS' power valves. Thats when you'll get the big dividend returns in terms of sound, power and longer life that these valves can give you.

Bung NOS valves in hot A/B amps (eg. AC30 / AD30 / TT) and you'll not notice nearly as much sonic difference - any valves will get thrashed in there, being run way over their design limits. And don't expect NOS valves to last all that long in them either - yes, they'll last longer than modern ones, but not that much longer - you'll probably be disappointed!

With my own 'hot A/B' amps I prefer just to use the best current production valves which can sound really great too. I also don't feel as bad running them as hard as the amp needs to get them to sound really great, and can live with a few watts less ultimate power. My '60s AC30 head last tested out at around 28W RMS clean with its modern Harma EL84s. Thats set about right IMO - the amps were rated at 33W clean - but that was in the days of really good performing old valves! I wouldn't really expect to be able to run modern ones at that sort of power though - not for any length of time anyway.
Guess what Brian May uses in his AC30s...? :wink:

Any of that make any sense then? If so, and you want to know more here are a couple of suggestions for more details:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic ... er_classes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also... If you really want to know about this stuff do yourself a favour and check out the 'Introductory' and 'Advanced' sections by Randall Aiken under 'Tech Info' here:
http://www.aikenamps.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Very informative and reliable site - Aiken totally knows his stuff!!!

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:42 pm

I hope you save all your posts in some kind of word document btw Andy. Hope the the forum never crashes and everything is lost.

That's material you can use to set up a website btw. It won't attract that much visitors, but it would be a great resource for those that are interested in the matter. Not only because it's accurate information, but because you add some personal experiences from the period people think of as the golden age of music equipment.
And maybe you can make some change (money, not obama-change :)) with Google Ads.

Rly. You should consider it :P.
I play bass.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:47 pm

tony_clifton wrote:I hope you save all your posts in some kind of word document btw Andy. Hope the the forum never crashes and everything is lost.

That's material you can use to set up a website btw. It won't attract that much visitors, but it would be a great resource for those that are interested in the matter. Not only because it's accurate information, but because you add some personal experiences from the period people think of as the golden age of music equipment.
And maybe you can make some change (money, not obama-change :)) with Google Ads.

Rly. You should consider it :P.
Thanks for the nice words! :D
Not aiming (or likely) to make any money out of this stuff. I'll probably try to do some summaries from old posts and save them though. Good thought!
stevo2112 wrote:The "loudness" thread got me thinking about the actual output of some orange amps. for instance: the OR80 runs on 2 EL34s - is it physically possible that it can be rated at 80 watts (clean)? Same goes for the AD140- with 4 EL34s.
I don't know about the AD140. Depends on the power supply and transformers etc. But with Mullards or similar performing oldies it may just be possible. Probably not too far off at any rate.

MY OR120 is certainly up there with the Hiwatt in potential output. So while the 2 x EL34 OR80 won't be able to put out 80W RMS clean, 70W with good valves is definitely realistic. And the '80W' may just be the fairly 'clean sounding' 5% distortion rating which most makers use(d), so 'OR80' isn't a totally unrealistic name. Don't try to bias modern production valves up to these power levels in your old OR though - it'd kill them in short order!
Taronja wrote:have you ever experienced how hot the tubes are in the old vintage OR's, wow, they are cooking and wear out twice as fast as most amps, the wood over the tubes has some pretty deep burn marks, those old amps push the tubes far over what they are capable of and i beleave the OR80 easly exceeds 80 watts, its freaking loud and has some awesome loud cleans, it moves some serious air, no kidding.

im so GASing for another one of those beast's

Jon
The reason that a lot of old OR120s have scorch marks inside them is because they are big powerful amps with much less ventilation than some other '100 watters'. They do get very hot! My own theory is that the scorching is largely due to the wood in the head cabinets drying out through all that heat when used heavily and regularly. Even then they can be very reliable though - check out Davesounds pic here of an amp which was probably on most of the time for 15+ years...
http://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.p ... w=previous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My own doesn't have terribly noticable scorch marks. I think because the amp isn't used anything like as much as his, and the wood stays at relatively normal humidity levels which will resist scorching. Also it is biased right, but I'd imagine so are DAVESOUNDS amps... :wink:

Yes your dead right though, they can run modern valves FAR too hot. OR amps do need really strong power valves to run right!
Wendigo wrote:The RV 50 has 4 6v6gts though, rated at 9 watts each max dissipation...
6V6s are actually rated at 12W... :wink:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ating+(12W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Makes a total of 48W clean = pretty close to 50W...
bclaire wrote:...my two old Marshall Superleads were 100 watt rated amps. On the bench with new tubes at the point of clipping, one was 135 watts and the other 147.
These readings may simply have been measured slightly differently to how John measures them. I'd suspect that your tech may have used a purely resistive load when measuring the amps power output - a fairly standard method.
John normally uses a reactive load which more closely mimics the varying impedance with frequency your get with a real loudspeaker.
(From a recent e-mail about my DR103)
I measured the power using a signal generator (400Hz for bass amps usually, 1KHz for guitar, and I did actually use 1KHz for this one), a scope and a dummy load – actually a Marshall Powerbrake, which is not at all purely resistive and so the figure may be out somewhat... but since it duplicates the inductive impedance curve of a real speaker fairly well (especially at these frequencies) I feel it gives a more ‘real world’ figure than the dry theoretical resistive load, which doesn’t take any account of the amp’s reactance either.
Neither method is right or wrong. As I said in my previous post there are simply different ways to measure and rate clean power output. At any rate it sounds like you've got a couple of very healthy amps there! 8)
bassdrop wrote:Fender put out a bass amp in the 70's called the 400PS that runs 6 6550's at a very high plate voltage and achieves 500 watts clean!
Monster amps apparently. Not quite 500W clean, but well over 400W. Ditto the Hiwatt 400, possibly the most powerful valve instrument amp ever made...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=199844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again though these figures are only going to happen with very special valves. I shudder to think just how expensive a revalve would be these days, let alone how 'to transport them...

Andy.

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Andy, thanks for the excellent reply. The post was long, but clearly well thought out, and your explanations were close enough to the "simple" side that I think people like myself that don't open up amps can understand what you mean.

I apologize for my last post... I didn't mean to "commit" you to posting a reply on this thread! :oops:

But I will say, I think it was well worth it for all that knowledge you just spread. :)
- Nathan

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:00 am

nguideau wrote:Hi Andy, thanks for the excellent reply. The post was long, but clearly well thought out, and your explanations were close enough to the "simple" side that I think people like myself that don't open up amps can understand what you mean.

I apologize for my last post... I didn't mean to "commit" you to posting a reply on this thread! :oops:

But I will say, I think it was well worth it for all that knowledge you just spread. :)
Thanks! And no need to apologise! If it (hopefully) helps a couple of people get to grips with this stuff a bit better then I'm happy! :)

Andy.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:13 pm

helped me! tks

so wait. so the TT's actualy output could be somewhere higher than 15W?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:20 am

a.hun wrote:
bassdrop wrote:Fender put out a bass amp in the 70's called the 400PS that runs 6 6550's at a very high plate voltage and achieves 500 watts clean!
Monster amps apparently. Not quite 500W clean, but well over 400W. Ditto the Hiwatt 400, possibly the most powerful valve instrument amp ever made...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=199844" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Again though these figures are only going to happen with very special valves. I shudder to think just how expensive a revalve would be these days, let alone how 'to transport them...

Andy.

The Monsters of Rock tour in the 80's had a 600 watt/32x10 custom SVT stack built for it. In current production, if you have 10K USD lying around, is the Phil Jones T-500. It dwarfs a normal SVT at 650 watts and 110lbs.

http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=268&type=head

Check out this youtube vid with Phil talking about some of his amazing bass gear (the T-500 is a few minutes in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoyjun12RLM

The
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Nork wrote:helped me! tks

so wait. so the TT's actualy output could be somewhere higher than 15W?
Well you can get up to around 24 watts from a pair of (on spec) EL84s in class A/B. To get that with the TT though you'd have to change it quite a bit which would also change the sound. As designed (and it is designed as a 'hot class A/B amp') it isn't going to put out more than about that 15W clean. Thats about the normal upper limit for a pair of EL84s run that way.

bassdrop, that stuff is nuts. Glad I don't crave that much power - think I'd have to shoot myself! :lol:

Phil Jones stuff is very impressive sounding. I thought briefly about a couple of his small cabs like the 6x5 ones, but they simply weren't efficient enough for me. Great sound though - amazing - and the bigger cabs and his big amps must be awesome!

Andy.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:30 pm

a.hun wrote: 6V6s are actually rated at 12W... :wink:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ating+(12W" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Actually they are rated at between 9-10 watts when in Class AB operation, which the RV50 is....they are only rated at 12 watts in class A operation. The datasheet only shows them as having a total rating of 14 watts in class AB for two tubes, which puts them at 7 watts per tube, or 28 watts MAXIMUM for 4 6v6gts. Even running them hot wouldn't get you near 50 actual watts.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:18 pm

Wendigo wrote:
a.hun wrote: 6V6s are actually rated at 12W... :wink:

Actually they are rated at between 9-10 watts when in Class AB operation, which the RV50 is....they are only rated at 12 watts in class A operation. The datasheet only shows them as having a total rating of 14 watts in class AB for two tubes, which puts them at 7 watts per tube, or 28 watts MAXIMUM for 4 6v6gts. Even running them hot wouldn't get you near 50 actual watts.
Hi I'm not sure where you are getting those figures, or if you are perhaps mis-interpretating them. (These old valve spec. sheets are very difficult to understand - for me too!!! :oops: )

But look at what you've written and think about it for a moment. While you can get more useful power out of valves running in class A/B than in class A etc.etc, the actual plate dissipation rating of the valves doesn't (can't!) change! :shock:
Perhaps you could link to those data sheets to try to see just whats what there?

See here for some rather clearer info:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... 453&page=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really, 6V6s are rated at about 12W! :)

Andy.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:35 am

Ok dude you convinced me...i was just thinking maybe in AB they were not capable of pounding out the full wattage.

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 am

ah, andy. i get it. the hotter you run tubes = less output power?

my head a'splode.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 pm

Nork wrote:ah, andy. i get it. the hotter you run tubes = less output power?

my head a'splode.
Sort of but not quite... :wink:

The hotter you bias the valves the less clean headroom you'll get, and the quicker the valves will overheat. So if you want maximum sustained clean power, yes bias cooler! If you bias hot than the valves will be running hotter (and putting out more power!) at all volume settings, clean or overdriven. They will also burn out faster.

Look at the short 'bias' section in my long post again.
Imagine the waveform being pushed further and further up towards the valves upper voltage and power handling limits. Beyond a certain point the top of the waveforms will be squashed = distortion. Go in the other direction - too cold - and below a certain point the bottom parts of the waveform will be distorted. (= Crossover distortion in class A/B running.)

What you want for the maximum sustained clean power is to have the top and bottom parts of the waveform fit neatly in between the upper and lower normal working voltages the valve can cleanly handle. That way you are using the full available 'dynamic range' of the valve as well as running the valve most efficiently.

But the hotter running class A/B amps like the TT aren't designed for maximum possible clean output power. They are designed to compress and distort nice and controllably, which they do at the expense of efficiency and valve life. I don't own a TT but if I did I doubt I would mod it to run much cooler. Not unless I still liked the sound like that anyway, and I'd expect it to be a rather different sound. I do own an AC30 and you can definitely kill its magic sounds by messing around too much with the biasing.

Sorry about your head! Take it easy tonight then! :wink:

Andy.

jontheid
Orange Expert

Post by jontheid » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Firstly - apologies for reviving an old post.
However the subject matter is something that continues to interest me and others - that is, how can 4 tubes rated at 25W max anode dissipation put out more than 100W without cheating i.e. running outside the valve's maximum ratings.

In class B operation, if you had each tube chucking out near on 50W when conducting and next to 0W when not conducting, you could still have an average plate dissipation of 25W, thus not exceeding the manufacturers specifications, as it is average plate dissipation that is important, not instantaneous (as Andy said).

No problem then, done and dusted. Except Class B is useless due to immense crossover distortion inherent in the design, so we have to use Class AB, (as Andy said).

Mullard themselves state that a single EL34 can chuck out 11W in Class A mode and two (not four, two!) EL34s in Class AB can deliver 100W with 5% distortion. I can post the specs for it if you like, it uses 800V plate voltage . . .

I think it is easy to get more than 100W out of 4 EL34s in Class AB by using high plate voltages and having each output valve dissipate greater than 25W for only part of the cycle. This is not cheating or over-taxing the valve per se. As the great Aiken states -

"Average dissipation is what really counts in most tube amp designs ... A tube's maximum plate dissipation can be exceeded at some point during the cycle, provided that it is far enough below the maximum dissipation during other parts of the cycle for the average dissipation to not exceed the tube's max plate dissipation rating."

Andy - you mentioned this but then said this doesn't explain how you can get more than 100W clean out of 4 El34s. I think it explains it perfectly well. You even state that it is average dissipation that is all important, not instantaneous dissipation.

I don't think you need super NOS/OS Mullards to get over 100W from 4 EL34s, and I don't think you have to exceed 25W plate dissipation on average.

My 4xEL34 amp chucks out about 140 Watts clean, and it is using modern Chinese tubes and is biased at 70% plate dissipation at idle. No red plating at all. The tubes are at least 3 years old, and I play bass pretty loud through the amp, and have done lots of gigs with it. No fires yet.

Peavey do (or did) an amp called the Classic 50, which gets 50 Watts from 4 EL84s, modern ones at that.
See here: http://www.chambonino.com/work/peavey/pea3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I reckon your Hiwatt has a high plate voltage (>500volts) and that is why it chucks out over 130W.

What anode current is running at idle in it? And what is the plate voltage? Is is actually handling an average of 35W dissipation or was that a speculative figure?

Btw, I would love to get my hands on the software that Aiken is using here:
http://www.aikenamps.com/Why70percent.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and use it to analyse some classic amps.

Cheers
Jon

ps I usually only look at the technical part of the forum, I am now realising that there is loads of tech stuff on this side as well.

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:12 am

jontheid wrote:I think it is easy to get more than 100W out of 4 EL34s in Class AB by using high plate voltages and having each output valve dissipate greater than 25W for only part of the cycle. This is not cheating or over-taxing the valve per se...
That's right. Higher voltage potential allows lower current operation (less heat) and still maintain the high wattage output. Also the use of optimized output transformers for this application and a good amount of NFB allow more than typical output power.
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;