EQ pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

stevo2112
Orange Master

EQ pedals

Post by stevo2112 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Haven't noticed EQ pedals being discussed very much here other than briefly in a recent thread. I'm considering getting one- anyone have recommendations? Thanks-
Steve

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Re: EQ pedals

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I tried the MXR 10band and really liked it. I don't think you can go wrong with MXR.
Jamie T

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:35 pm

I think it's not very much discussed because good EQing is hard to do, while it's pretty easy to screw up your sound with it.

I, for example, like a single tone control the most (think Tiny Terror, Marshall 2061X, Bluesbraker), followed by the DRRI (only bass and treble). I can't do anything but screw things up with EQ sections with knobs like middle and presence.
I play bass.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:37 pm

chimpboyjay1 wrote:I tried the MXR 10band and really liked it. I don't think you can go wrong with MXR.
Way cool to see you Jamie! :)

Mono
Orange Expert

Post by Mono » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:27 am

Hmmm, interesting topic.
I would not recommend the Boss GE-7, because out-of-the-box, when you engage it, it makes your amp sound like someone just dropped a blanket over it. Unplayable.
BUT, there is some redemption. A few modkits were available at first which fix the issue, and I got mine from http://www.monteallums.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for less than $30.
With just a bit of soldering and electrics work, the thing sounds incredible. Really clean signal, no audible loss (maybe some treble gain, but overall quite sqeauky clean). Works and absolute charm.

Put it this way, I can get a tele sound from SD '59 humbucker in a Gibson SG. Now, I think that is impressive.

I digress. If you want pure functionality, get the MXR - less hassle.
I have never tried one and cannot comment on it from personal experience. I have a feeling they are more widely used because of the flaw with the GE-7 discussed above.

I think the Boss GE-7 cannot be faulted, and has a wide range of bands that adjust significantly, making it VERY easy to fine-sculpt your tone. It can also be doubled as a clean boost, which is very useful for overdriving the clean channel or adding some edge to dirty tones on my RV50.
I'm sure the MXR can do that too, but hey, I'm no expert.

I hope that helps you.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 am

Think you must have had a bad unit, mono...

The Boss is OK, but it is a bit noisy. Most EQs in my experience are a bit noisy.

First question - what do you want to use it for? If it's to have on all the time, then i'd advise against getting one. Check your amp & guitar settings and remember that you can't add what's not there. Equally you can 'boost' or 'cut' a frequency on your amp by boosting and cutting around it.

If you want to do a more extreme change partway through a song, then an EQ pedal would probably be a good idea.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

chimpboyjay1
Orange Expert

Post by chimpboyjay1 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:39 am

Neiloler wrote:
chimpboyjay1 wrote:I tried the MXR 10band and really liked it. I don't think you can go wrong with MXR.
Way cool to see you Jamie! :)
Hey good to see you too, glad to be back. I've just been really busy with college.
Jamie T

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:08 am

I like to boost my crunchy set amp (ad30) into lead with an eq. Have everything at zero and just raise the 200 and 400 hertz sliders for fatness and the 1,6k to cut. Then I raise the volumeslider to what I like (it's nice maxed out :twisted: ).That way I can shape my lead tone exactly how I want it and have all the distortion coming from my amp.
The eq is a Boss GE-7, pretty happy with it. I too think theres sth wrong with your unit mono. Except for the mentioned little hiss mine sounds great. And the hiss doesn't bother me for leadsound (maybe it would if I wanted to shape my clean sound with it)
cheers
ben

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:07 pm

i think as far as graphic EQ pedals go the DoD fx40b is my favourite - much prefer it to the GE7

i use a parametric EQ - the boss pq4 - or rather i used to - until i got my les paul, which doesn't need EQ'ing :)

PQ4s are pretty hard to find these days, but if you see one, snap it up!!
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:51 pm

I use a Tech21 SansAmp TriAC which is an amp modeler but has active EQ (±12dB). I use it as boost, a distortion pedal, something to get my Orange to sound like a Blackface, and also as an EQ pedal. With active EQ you can dial in some very good sounds and some horrid sounds. I also found that the settings for one guitar do not work for a different guitar. Got mine for about $150, but they have gone us since then. Many of the other Tech21 pedals have active EQ, too.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;