OT: PRS cutting back on their line....?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Nork
Orange Master

OT: PRS cutting back on their line....?

Post by Nork » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:01 am

i was on the PRS website and i've noticed that they've got a lot of lines that they're now labelling as discontinued....i.e. the mccarty, standard satin, custom 22, modern eagle...

anyone know why?
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Aslan
Orange Master

Re: OT: PRS cutting back on their line....?

Post by Aslan » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:20 pm

PRS is coming out with a bunch of 25th anniversary models that replaces the ones they discontinued.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 pm

Aslan wrote:PRS is coming out with a bunch of 25th anniversary models that replaces the ones they discontinued.
Yep. And a whole bunch of new colors too. Kind of refreshing to see a manufacturer do this - kind of a reboot on their anniversary. It'll be interesting to see what they stick with in 2011 for regular production models.
Greg

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm sure there'll be some "refreshing" price increases too!
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:37 pm

ECWeagles wrote:I'm sure there'll be some "refreshing" price increases too!
ya this is what i figured. the 25th anniversary editions would be a little more expensive. we'll see what happens. my dream guitar has been a custom 22 for just about ever. now it's gone. oh well...

maybe they'll come out with a guitar that can play itself.... :P

seriously, tho - PRS has usually be able to market pretty well and riding this economic storm out hasn't been easy from what i hear.

i was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about it. tks guys!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:17 pm

Nork wrote:my dream guitar has been a custom 22 for just about ever. now it's gone. oh well...
That's what eBay is for. Never lose hope on dream guitars because you can always find something on eBay. One man's junk is another man's gold.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:23 pm

CD9266 wrote:
Nork wrote:my dream guitar has been a custom 22 for just about ever. now it's gone. oh well...
That's what eBay is for. Never lose hope on dream guitars because you can always find something on eBay. One man's junk is another man's gold.
true enough. ha...problem is - that man's junk just went up in price. :oops: oh well. a buddy of mine just started building guitars - Everett Sound Guitars, so there's also the possibility of a custom built tele-like deal.

in a few years, anyway.
--Nick

Ace
Tiny Terror

Post by Ace » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:18 am

Nork wrote:i was on the PRS website and i've noticed that they've got a lot of lines that they're now labelling as discontinued....i.e. the mccarty, standard satin, custom 22, modern eagle...

anyone know why?
McCartys and Modren Eagles - are still around only as a narrow feild versions/25th
Custom 22 - still dont know why they took it away but the 24's sell better
Satins - have gone away cause of new technology in staining with UV machines

Add a new spin to things with new colors and add new sales. Im sure a few will come back but a normal McCarty is a staple that should never have been taken away. McCartys are in their 4th reincarnation now. MC, MC2 , 4 Ted McCarty smokebursts, and now the Narrow Feilds MC. Also I'll miss the 250 but I got mine :). The only thing close now is a Tremonti or Henderson.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:45 am

Hopefully it will make the 20th anniversary models prices go down. I saw a used Custom 22 for $2000 in my local shop a while back. Played like a dream too.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 am

that is a lovely guitar. i don't know that i'll ever own a PRS. i've got a parker that is just so damn versatile that i don't really need a PRS. the only problem is that because my hands are small, i need the wide-thin, and a hardtail is a must 'cause i don't use trem and like having the extra wood back there. i wanted a 24ce, but they don't make'em hard tail.

but it's nice to dream. tks for the info!
--Nick

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:21 pm

The satin finish doesn't make sense to me on a PRS. They shouldn't discontinue the McCarty or the Custom 22 IMO. I do really like the brushed satin pups though..

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;