How the other half lives...

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jangle
Orange Hero

How the other half lives...

Post by jangle » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:09 pm

While we (rightly) debate Orange models, speaker choices, cabs, effects, etc. let us not lose sight of the fact that we are miles, even light-years ahead, of many of our fellow musicians.

I was asked to help an ex-bandmate out by playing with his OLD band that he re-formed. Unbeknownst to me he had also drafted in his old guitarist. We both ended up playing the gig.

I used my Rockerverb 50 head, an Avatar 4x12, EJ Strat and Furman pedalboard.

The 'other' had a Behringer combo something like this:

I'm not sure I can come up with an adequate description for how bad this thing sounded....its distortion was like a mobile phone on vibrate....BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. For slow songs to add 'feeling' (apparently) he kicked in its onboard chorus effect. I'm sure you know the one.....that fake-sounding, syrupy, warbly under-water chorus that is like having more dressing than salad. Even Prince in his 'Purple Rain' pomp didn't use that much.

I was diplomatic and philosophical about the whole thing and even gritted my teeth and said he sounded OK when he asked. No sense in kicking a man when he's down. I also acknowledge that real life comes first and not everyone has the cash to splash on Orange and/or boutique and/or high-end gear. But in a live setting there's nowhere to hide really.

The moral of the story is we often forget how good we've got it.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: How the other half lives...

Post by bclaire » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:32 am

So true...

hopefully, your example with good tone will inspire him to upgrade his gear...

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:47 am

And it's not like you have to dive into the Orange price range to get good tone! I've REALLY been enjoying my Carvin Vintage 16 I just got, and it cost me $350 shipped (and that was including speaker upgrade and new EHX tubes!)

There's just something about solid state that takes a heck of a lot of circuitry to massage a good tone out of it while even the most basic tube just has the jangle.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:21 am

jangle wrote:The moral of the story is we often forget how good we've got it.
Yeah... I think I drug my old guitar player down with that. He was practicing with us using my old bass player's Crate GX-15R 1x8 combo. With me playing through a RV50 and a 4x12 with V30s, I was playing loud enough to keep up with drums and a loud bass amp. He was there for looks really...

So I tried to give my advice on amps and guitars and most of it was too expensive for him, that's when I realized that sometimes you can only give advice and let them take it or leave it.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Mono
Orange Expert

Post by Mono » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:38 am

went to a gig tonight. every guitarist there was a bit of a joke on the tone front... one guy was using a line6 amp and was putting his signal through a boss gt6 prior to it. the distortion - or whatever it was he was going for to give a sort of "oomph" to the chorus - was cringeworthy... shame i had to grit my teeth and tell him it was all good after the show. there just isn't even any point in striking up a conversation about gear or tone with most people, as they just don't get it

Orange > Most other amplification products.

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:36 am

I rationalize my exccesive gear purchases just that way. I have too often met musicians who don't seem to mind playing through kiddy amps. In one of my bands, every cab (2 412 cabs and 2 115 cabs) used is mine. I'm thinking that I should invest in an ad200b to replace the solid state 200watt sunn head our bassist uses. Sunn is a "cool" brand and all and their tube gear is awesome, but seriously, there is no comp between the ad200b and most other bass tube heads as far as tone goes and def none compaired to anything solid state.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:21 pm

This is a good point that shouldn't be forgotten. I think Neil is right too, there is good stuff out there to be had on a budget. Is it Orange? No. Is it better than stuff I had to play through prior to having the means to get Orange? Yes. Carvin is a good example. There are good Fender RI amps that are very good too (especially w/ a good pedal). Older Marshalls, etc. Line 6? Behringer? ewwwww... If I had to go that route I'd go w/ the Vox Valvetronix stuff.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:47 pm

Well I guess I'm one still on the outside looking in although I do own a TT, I will probably never have the cash to own another Orange amp, so yeah I look for good tone on a budget and I have been pretty lucky in amp purchases. My Epiphone Valve senior sounds great at a great price.
Vince

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:36 am

Drdos wrote:Well I guess I'm one still on the outside looking in although I do own a TT, I will probably never have the cash to own another Orange amp, so yeah I look for good tone on a budget and I have been pretty lucky in amp purchases. My Epiphone Valve senior sounds great at a great price.
i'm the same way. i mean - i'd love to own another orange, but i love my TT. it's perfect for me. totally. at some point i'd like to build an amp, but that's just for the experience. if i could build a point to point version of the TT maybe i would, but i'm thinking of a deluxe.

but that's in a few years.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:10 pm

Nork wrote:
Drdos wrote:Well I guess I'm one still on the outside looking in although I do own a TT, I will probably never have the cash to own another Orange amp, so yeah I look for good tone on a budget and I have been pretty lucky in amp purchases. My Epiphone Valve senior sounds great at a great price.
i'm the same way. i mean - i'd love to own another orange, but i love my TT. it's perfect for me. totally. at some point i'd like to build an amp, but that's just for the experience. if i could build a point to point version of the TT maybe i would, but i'm thinking of a deluxe.

but that's in a few years.
Yep Yep right there with yah...
Vince

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey, we were all there once, but it's nice to be able to upgrade. To be fair, you often don't realise just how nasty some cheap gear sounds unless you've heard better yourself. I was trying to explain to a friend the other day why a cheap Stagg LP copy played through a Boss multiFX and then straight into the PA just really didn't sound good... it was hard not to say, "Look guys, the sound just stinks. What do you expect if you buy budget gear?"

I'm pretty happy with my amps, effects and guitars now, and am at the stage where I just want to play it. Sure there's other nice amps around, but nothing that makes me think, "I want one of those: it's way better than what i've got." The GAS has gone.

Is this what they call 'The Wagon?'
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:50 pm

yes... 'The Wagon' would be an appropriate term :D

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Amen. Orange makes great amplifiers, to be sure. But I'll add a +1 to Neil's comments. There are good quality, good sounding tube amps as cheap as a few hundred dollars. Upgrading from solid state isn't necessarily an expensive/unattainable proposition. I think perhaps people that are used to the world of solid state amps think it is, because they think they need to go from their 100W Line6 w/ 18 knobs to the 100W Mesa w/ 18 knobs to really be "upgrading." It's obvious to most of us that this isn't the case, but we all have to start somewhere and learn. I know I did.
- Nathan

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:59 pm

It's obvious to most of us that this isn't the case, but we all have to start somewhere and learn. I know I did.
for sure....i think too many guitarists are very under educated when it comes to knowledge of the gear world and the options available to them. a lot of people think a 2K marshall stack is the only option for tube amps. its a shame.

thats why the TT is so awesome
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:12 pm

nguideau wrote:Amen. Orange makes great amplifiers, to be sure. But I'll add a +1 to Neil's comments. There are good quality, good sounding tube amps as cheap as a few hundred dollars. Upgrading from solid state isn't necessarily an expensive/unattainable proposition. I think perhaps people that are used to the world of solid state amps think it is, because they think they need to go from their 100W Line6 w/ 18 knobs to the 100W Mesa w/ 18 knobs to really be "upgrading." It's obvious to most of us that this isn't the case, but we all have to start somewhere and learn. I know I did.
Haha, I'd say +1 to this, it's better put than my comments. :)

It's amazing how much I've learned over the years, I thought I had to have tons of knobs and options and such, and I found that I just got lost in the gear and never in the music. Downgrading the number of knobs was upgrading my gear and musical possibilities.