Tweed Deluxe "5E3" Build - *Finished! + Clips!*

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

AJS19
Orange Expert

Tweed Deluxe "5E3" Build - *Finished! + Clips!*

Post by AJS19 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:48 am

Today I got my 5E3 kit from Weber. I decided to build this for my "senior project" this year. I also have to write a paper about tube amplifiers. My kit arrived and everything was fine except one of the 6V6's was broken. Should be getting a new one from them in a few days.

For those that don't know much about the 5E3, also known as the Tweed Deluxe, it's has low headroom, with punchy, fat, warm, and rich tones. It uses a 12AY7 in V1, 12AX7 in V2; two 6V6's, and a 5Y3 rectifier tube. It's a two channel amp, normal and bright with 4 inputs (both high and low for each channel). A volume control for each channel and a one tone control. You can be plugged into the normal channel, and the bright volume still affects the sound, it's very interactive, and different tonal options with channel bridging and such. Can't wait to put some tasty blues lick through this. 8) It weighs in at roughly 12-15 watts.

Most likely going to ditch the Chinese tubes Weber includes. I've been recommended Tung Sol 6V6's, an EHX 12AY7 in V1, a JJ 12AX7, and a NOS 5Y3 rectifier tube. I'm going to experiment a lot with different tubes though, because I need a minimum of 15 mentor hours for the project, and my mentor has boatloads of tubes to try.

The Weber kit parts are anything too special, but they get the job done. I will most likely be making some upgrades and modifications depending on what my mentor thinks about the part quality. This is my first amp build, but I have built a few pedals before, and with the guidance of my mentor, I shouldn't have to many roadblocks.

The cabinet in aged tweed + oxblood.

It's loaded with a Weber Signature Series Alnico 12".

I got all the components placed on the fiber board.

I also mounted all the hardware minus the input jacks on the chassis.

Should be an awesome amp for college, blues gigs, low level cleans, etc. I'm gunna start wiring everything up Sunday when I go visit my mentor. I'll definitely keep this thread updated for you guys, with clips when she's all done. 8)
Last edited by AJS19 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Tweed Deluxe "5E3" Build

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:46 am

Nice! Awesome project and great that you can get credit for it to boot!

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:42 am

I'm jealous! I want to do one of these too...

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:21 am

blackcloud45 wrote:I'm jealous! I want to do one of these too...
I know... Me too!

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:00 am

very cool...Neil (neiloler) built one of these things too.

they are pretty neat. weber kits are cool
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:31 am

I'll be following this thread with interest. Keep up the good work.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 am

You make me want to try one of these kits, please take lots of pictures!

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks guys for all the kind words. I'll definitely be taking loads of pictures, and soundclips and video when it's finished. I have to give a final report in April over my project and paper. I should get quite a bit accomplished tomorrow.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:42 pm

i've heard that the nicest 5e3 is by mission amps - mostly the supplied transformers with the weber kits are lacking. so there's a mod ya could do....also - the hoffner (?) turret board config is said to be a little quieter.

i've been researching this 'cause it's somehign i want to do to. pics man!!! can't wait to see it! good job! :D
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:42 am

Weber trannies get poo-poo'd on by the snobs, but I honestly don't get why. They're awesome, built to last, and they're amazingly cost effective.

I built the same weber 5E3 kit, and it sounds great, just as is. Don't fall for the Sprague Atom cap thing, that's a **** and bull story if ever there were one.

I was just thinking the other day how I missed my little 5E3. Some day I'll build me another. :)

Great looking kit choice Austin. :D

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Nice!

Only one question; why bother buying a NOS rectifier? The only way those valves influence your sound is by their response time to your playing (as far as I know). Bet you find something for way less money.
I play bass.

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:34 pm

NOS rectifier tubes are cheap, my mentor can get NOS RCA's for $9.
Neiloler wrote:Weber trannies get poo-poo'd on by the snobs, but I honestly don't get why. They're awesome, built to last, and they're amazingly cost effective.

I built the same weber 5E3 kit, and it sounds great, just as is. Don't fall for the Sprague Atom cap thing, that's a **** and bull story if ever there were one.

I was just thinking the other day how I missed my little 5E3. Some day I'll build me another. :)

Great looking kit choice Austin. :D
Thanks Neil. :)
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Yeah. NOS rectifiers are cheap. JJ Rectifiers are nice, they're quality stuff, and you don't have to worry about it dying on you (rectifier dying will take out a lot of stuffs...)

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:05 am

Had a fun day with my mentor. We put some amps through his Voodoo Labs Amp Selector and layered them kind of like what Joe Bonamassa does. It sounded huge! :shock:

I got the trannies mounted today, the resistors on the power tube inputs, and the input jacks all wired up outside the chassis. Much easier that way, and then you just move them inside. Space is so limited, and I have big hands. I have pictures of these alleged trannies I have mounted, along with the other work, etc, but it's late and my camera is floating around somewhere. I'll get them up tomorrow though.

This Saturday, I really don't know what i'm doing next, as he kind of tells me what he thinks I should do next as we go.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:11 am

good luck with that im still trying to build my effects loop haha cant imagine trying to build that
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk