Hola!! First post, first Orange Amp, and first nOOb question

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Pai Mei

Hola!! First post, first Orange Amp, and first nOOb question

Post by Pai Mei » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Hi all a newbie reporting in :)

so anyways after spend years lost in the wilderness of inferior amps i've just got my first Orange; a Dual Terror. Needles to say it's the shizzle. 8)

But as I'll be gigging it quite a lot I think I should invest in some spare valves for it. Are there any recommended makes/models of valves for spares & upgrades? Or is it the usual case of Harma's and JJ's?

cheers all
Last edited by Pai Mei on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfitz
Orange Expert

Re: Hola!! First post, first Orange Amp, and first nOOb question

Post by bfitz » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

JJ, tungsol, winged C svetlana, and Electro Harmonix are all good brands.

I dunno what tubes your DT comes with or if it needs biasing so id recommend checking the manual about that.

-if it does need biasing (check manual) you will need to bring it to a tech (its too dangerous if you dont know what your doing), this is only the case when replacing power/output tubes
- for pre-amp tubes you can replace those yourself without having to book it into a tech

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:54 pm

The amp should be Cathoid biased so no need for biasing when changing power tubes. I would suggest a matched quad of JJ el84's and Tung Sol 12ax7's. This combo is used by many on this forum with great results... Welcome.
Vince

rrrajo
Lord of Orange

Post by rrrajo » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Ahoy!

Not to worry , there is no Noob Hazing Here!!! :D
Jimy...HM#5
--------------------

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:30 am

Drdos wrote:The amp should be Cathoid biased so no need for biasing when changing power tubes. I would suggest a matched quad of JJ el84's and Tung Sol 12ax7's. This combo is used by many on this forum with great results... Welcome.
I'm with Vince. Great combo in my TT. Welcome, dude!
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

_Craig_
Orange Hero

Post by _Craig_ » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:27 pm

+1 on the Tung Sol 12ax7's

As for the power section, im currently using Harma Retro EL84's, which i think sound great.

Craig.
'94 Standard Telecaster. Rickenbacker 4003. Orange AD30R. Ashdown 550 Touring.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:50 pm

Pai Mei wrote:Hi all a newbie reporting in :)

so anyways after spend years lost in the wilderness of inferior amps i've just got my first Orange; a Dual Terror. Needles to say it's the shizzle. 8)

But as I'll be gigging it quite a lot I think I should invest in some spare valves for it. Are there any recommended makes/models of valves for spares & upgrades? Or is it the usual case of Harma's and JJ's?

cheers all
Here's what I wrote recently in another thread on tubes:

"I have a bunch of NOS tubes and new poduction tubes, but I'm not one of those who think tubes makes all the difference in an amp. My opinion is that any decent and working tube will sound good in a good amp and vice versa (with some degree of deviation to that statement). And even if I would be wrong I still can rely on the fact that a great player will sound good with cheap tubes while a bad player will still sound crap even if he uses the most desirable NOS tubes on the market.

For the record I swapped all nine tubes in my Fender DRRI from Sovteks to NOS tubes (Mullard rectifier, RCA Power tubes, and different preamp tubes of GE, Telefunken, Brimar, Mullard PI, Ken-Rad (GE) and Sylvania) and yes, it might sound better, but it's at such a small degree that I cannot say if it's just psychological. (Did the same thing with my Marshall 2061X with the same results.)
My conlusion is that that the general audience of my music won't hear the difference and they certainly will not care, 'cause they will listen to my music and not tiny increments of tone enhancers such as NOS tubes."
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Pai Mei

Post by Pai Mei » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 am

cheers all. A look at the HotRox site is in order. Why do I feel that joining this forum is going to cost me a fortune? :P

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 pm

It's usually the case. Learning to beat the GAS and be happy with what you've got is a skill learned by dint of much fruitless expenditure...

The Harma valves from Watford Valves are very good. They're just tested & relabelled other valves, and the best of the bunch get picked.

Each valve type has different characteristics, so do try some different ones. JJs - in general - tend to have dark, warm sounding preamp valves which you might find a bit much for Oranges. A lot of guys like EHX or Tung Sol, which are brighter.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:18 am

It's usually the case. Learning to beat the GAS and be happy with what you've got is a skill learned by dint of much fruitless expenditure...

HAHA....when you get into a rig that makes you smile every time you play, GAS is much easier to fend off. orange helped me get there really well.
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.