how does a computer retrieve track information etc

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hithere
Orange Expert

how does a computer retrieve track information etc

Post by hithere » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:50 pm

hey I have some questions about duplication and putting my cd into the computer and it coming up with the artist/band name/ and the correct composer info in itunes/windows media.

a lot of duplicators are telling me not to worry, and they will only send me Track-1 Track 2 etc, and that gracenote is what picks up this information.

I am a little confused by this as if burn one of my cds that just say track 1/2 that doesn't happen, but if I input the correct information myself and burn a disk all that comes up. I understand it's because my songs are probably not registered in online data bases yet, but I was curious as to why these "gracenotes" even work offline,

I unhooked my internet and my computer still knew the song titles and band names of any commercial cd I put in.

Isn't it common practice for the cd to actually have the song names written on them, or do they all really say Track 1 track 2, and something else figures out the info, even offline.

If not is this why some duplicators like you to send in a copy of your disk, so that all that stuff is on it instead of uploading the .wav files to their site?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: how does a computer retrieve track information etc

Post by bclaire » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm not totally sure what you're trying to ask, but if you put a CD into your computer ONCE and it ID's it, even if the computer is offline, the CD info will display because your computer remembered it. In other words, it stored the information on that CD...

If you enter info manually on a CD on your computer, that configuration of songs whether the original or duplicated will call up that information.

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:01 pm

yeah If I burn my own cd from the .wav files from itunes and put the track names/artist/composer, and I put the cd back in, it retains all that info.

but for example on discmakers they ask you to just upload your .wavs and it doesn't retain that information without burning it in itunes.

I suppose this is why a lot of duplicators give you the option to send in the master on cd.

no matter how hard I try I can't get any of that info to attach to the .wav files

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:37 pm

I think it's by the combination of the length of the songs. Not sure, but only thing I can make up, because iTunes can tag cd's that have been around before mp3 and tagging were mainstream.
I play bass.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 am

Also, I believe some commercial CDs are released with additional information on the disc to utilize the functionality in lots of newer car stereos that display artist/song/album/etc. information.
- Nathan

hithere
Orange Expert

Post by hithere » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:46 am

yeah one the customer supports told me that it is called cd text, where the track name is displayed on the stereo.

But now I am really confused, because I was putting some cds into my downstairs windows computer and they were all unknown unless hooked up to the internet to get the data using windows media. Even opening the folder showed that it was nothing but track 1.cda

but on my mac opening the cd folder tells you the cd name/tracks and does NOT need to be connected to the internet to the know it, so I am baffled.

plus I don't believe it grabs all the stuff the itunes get info tab knows.... by default even before you burn the cd