Giving up and selling up? Ever thought it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Giving up and selling up? Ever thought it?

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:57 pm

Have you ever thought i have loads of lovely gear that sound awesome and you just dont get any time to play it so why do i bother and just shift it all and maybe buy 1 nice acoustic to play when you do finally get time!

I never get any time to play these days as i have a little boy of 2 and wife who dont really like me playing it lol. Ok to play through headphones tho. I live in a flat so cant go mad ever either. When i get the place to myself i do play and love it the problem is its not very often at all.

I reakon all my gear 2nd hand is worth about £1500 ish +/- couple of hundred.

Any one else ever get to this point??
Tone is everything

kittenface
Orange Master

Re: Giving up and selling up? Ever thought it?

Post by kittenface » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:19 pm

not really

you should find a band

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Dont have rhe time, thats the thing. Hardly any free time. Maybe when the boy is a nursury full time in a bout a year may get more time to practice.

Also cant get any better through no practice time.

My day consists of get up, go work, take home the wifes mum (babysitter) then back home, play with him and housework then have dinner, bath put him to bed the tidy up before going bed myself.

Sounds sad really but i love my time with my boy and my next love is guitar. Maybe i just need to wait to the future ?
Tone is everything

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 pm

there is a time in every man's life to become an egoistic, chauvinistic swine and make his wife do all do work at home and with children and become just his sex object. there is a time in man's life when the only goal is to achieve his personal satisfaction without caring for anyone else. there is a time when a man must start to hate his mother-in-law. your time has come.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:25 pm

wrath wrote:there is a time in every man's life to become an egoistic, chauvinistic swine and make his wife do all do work at home and with children and become just his sex object. there is a time in man's life when the only goal is to achieve his personal satisfaction without caring for anyone else. there is a time when a man must start to hate his mother-in-law. your time has come.

very well said

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm

Don't give up, maybe just step away for spell while you handle family life. There will come a time in the near future where you will have the time and desire to jam again. Don't sell your stuff.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:16 pm

The one thing i would never do is become selfish towards my family for more guitar trime.

My son is the most important thing ever and all my stuff would go if he needed something.

I wouldnt palm him off for guitar time either as i wanna be there whilst hes growing up, hes great!

Maybe your right take some time to chill and put it on the back burner for now.

Been thinking maybe take some lessons slowly and build my learning as and when i get time. Id be happy with that.
Tone is everything

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:29 pm

Mrjones2004x wrote: Any one else ever get to this point??

nup
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:58 pm

Hi. . .

selling??? why??? :shock:

Ya said you would still play an acoustic when you had the time.
You already have everything, unless you need to sell due to a money issue, why not keep everything?
Eventually you'll have time. . . and really. . . since you say you have a young son, you must probably be on the young side also, so what's the hurry? I would think that most, if not all of your gear, has some kind of attachment / memories that go with it? Keep it if you can.

I have a fair amount of gear and hardly get to play on a regular basis anymore. . . due to work, ect., but someday again, I will. . . so I'm keeping it, and waiting for the day when I can blast thru all my amps with all my guitars, everyday. . . :mrgreen:
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:53 am

Take a breather, but don't sell it. I played my Rocker recently after not being able to play for a while because of school and work, and it sounded great. Will I get to play it much in the next few months? No, but I won't sell it. Life is full of seasons of plenty and seasons for scarsity, both for better or for character building. If you're super busy, well, that's just life for now, it won't always be so.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:04 am

I've got 3 kids, a full time job - lot's of other time commitments (mostly related to the kids) and I'm in a band. Your son can't be awake ALL the time. If practicing and playing is truly a priority for you, you will find the time. Heck - get a Vox amplug and use your headphones with it after the kid goes to sleep. If you truly don't want to play then - then maybe playing isn't a priority for you at all - and may not be in the future. I'd let this feeling sit with me for 6-12 months before I acted on it though. After a year if your'e not using something gear wise - sell it. Heck - I play everyday but I use that same policy with my own gear collection. No need to act rashly. Besides - in another year your son will be digging you playing your guitar in front of him - and he'll want to strum that thing too! Why not wait and see?
Greg

mmsb13
Orange Hero

Post by mmsb13 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:15 am

Norrin Radd wrote:I've got 3 kids, a full time job - lot's of other time commitments (mostly related to the kids) and I'm in a band. Your son can't be awake ALL the time. If practicing and playing is truly a priority for you, you will find the time. Heck - get a Vox amplug and use your headphones with it after the kid goes to sleep. If you truly don't want to play then - then maybe playing isn't a priority for you at all - and may not be in the future. I'd let this feeling sit with me for 6-12 months before I acted on it though. After a year if your'e not using something gear wise - sell it. Heck - I play everyday but I use that same policy with my own gear collection. No need to act rashly. Besides - in another year your son will be digging you playing your guitar in front of him - and he'll want to strum that thing too! Why not wait and see?

Yea. . . +1 x 1000

well said. . .

you're already there, playing & gear wise. . . stay there. . . leave it there. . . everytime you get a chance. . . it's there & you're there & your son can be there. . . it doesn't get any better than that. . . :mrgreen:
40th Anniversary OR50H & PPC412-LTD
Rickenbacker 370/6 VP JG & 370/12 VP FG
and other gear. . .

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:46 am

get your kid to play guitar when hes older you can have lots of fun with him/her
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:52 am

Don't sell your stuff. The years with your son will soon be a blur and all of your gear will be vintage stuff. That's what happened to me.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spectre
Tiny Terror

Post by spectre » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:13 am

Every reply has some weight to carry...... its totally personal.

I've got a Rickenbacker 330 JG I played constantly between the ages of 19-24. Its part of my life... but hasn't seen the light of day for the last 6 years............ :(

As much as I've thought o flogging it......... I can't....... Its part of my life.....

Sure these objects are tangible & made out of wood and metal, but I still feel they have a soul................ 'mine'.

i've often thought of getting rid of my gear, for a more economical artistic release, such an acoustic.............................................. (but I love feedback too much!) :lol:

I'm sure you'll do what's right given the circumstances.

BTW...... Fancy a Rickenbacker instead of an acoustic? :wink:
_________________________**Spectre**_________________________