Giving up and selling up? Ever thought it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Nork
Orange Master

Re: Giving up and selling up? Ever thought it?

Post by Nork » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:05 am

Neiloler wrote:Take a breather, but don't sell it. I played my Rocker recently after not being able to play for a while because of school and work, and it sounded great. Will I get to play it much in the next few months? No, but I won't sell it. Life is full of seasons of plenty and seasons for scarsity, both for better or for character building. If you're super busy, well, that's just life for now, it won't always be so.
+1 to that. well said. nothing's usually forever. i wasn't a able to play my Mesa much when i first bought it. i lived in a flat with 4 guys and it was a 100W head/412 for the band that i was playing with. in the end one of the reasons i downsized, but even then, the next place i lived the TT was too much. but i held onto it. you'd regret selling your stuff. might as well keep it.
Norrin Radd wrote:. I'd let this feeling sit with me for 6-12 months before I acted on it though. After a year if your'e not using something gear wise - sell it. Heck - I play everyday but I use that same policy with my own gear collection. No need to act rashly. Besides - in another year your son will be digging you playing your guitar in front of him - and he'll want to strum that thing too! Why not wait and see?
amen. that's about how long it took me to decide to sell the stiletto. i was nervous about it, but i'm really glad it's gone - it's being used by a guy on tour now with a set of kt66's (i think...or 77's) that he totally digs, and he shoots me an email every now and again with updates. it's neat. but i'm glad it's being used by someone who's really using it for what it's worth.

keep at it, dude. also - have i mentioned the bumblebee looks amazing?! :lol:
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

paul watts
Orange Master

Post by paul watts » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:19 am

Mrjones2004x wrote:Any one else ever get to this point??
Back on topic...great thread...I hope I speak for all the dads/mums here
that guitars and young tots don't mix..your other half probably thinks it's a hobby
and not at the top of life's priorities...at the moment.

As your child develops, your hobbies/interests will become important to them too..

Don't chuck your gear out with the bathwater...just leave them on the backburner somewhere safe, there will be times when you can enjoy playing guitar,and including your kids, it's a great gift to share...They'll also think Dad's cool too..

Yes I just had an acoustic during the pre school years and beyond, the strat/amp stayed in the loft for a while... :wink:

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 am

paul watts wrote:
Mrjones2004x wrote:Any one else ever get to this point??
Back on topic...great thread...I hope I speak for all the dads/mums here
that guitars and young tots don't mix..your other half probably thinks it's a hobby
and not at the top of life's priorities...at the moment.
Very true indeed. Have tried to play when hes here just on the acoustic and the last time he was enjoying i think then pulled on the strings and as i done an upstroke with my hand my fingernail got caught on my strumming hand and ripped off halfway across. I just thought whats the point! I give up!

Yeah she thinks its a hobby. Well it is a hobby to me just one that im veryy very interested in and want to do my best. Outside of my family life this is my other little life. I have no desire to be a famous rock star however maybe like to be in a band one day doing 80s rock covers but need to get better first lol.

Kids also dont think twice about running in your gear full pelt. Ive put everything in its cases before but then i never touch it. I like it to be there waiting ready to go. I think maybe the gibson should go away for safety as we all know they break easily if they come off there stand.

Some good point have been made in this thread so far.

I do have some time when the boy is in bed. Normally that includes clearing up his mess and eating but maybe i can grab half hour a night if i really tried. If i can grab a bit of time each night then i need to find a stuctured way of learning instead of playing everything i know over and over again. Need to use the time more effectivly otherwise gonna get nowhere fast.

This is why i say maybe get a lesson once a week then use and free time to practice.

Money not good at the minute but think thats the same as all of us. Am living and paying bills and surviving so not to spend i stay at home. Gonna cut out the fags i smoke at work then use this money for lessons.
Tone is everything

Musicman20
Orange Hero

Post by Musicman20 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 am

Never give up....never.

Its not like you have an obsessive hobby.

My dad spends far too much time with his hobby/sport, and thats competitive cycling. He is OBSESSED. So much so that it gets my mum down, and the rest of the family. He doesn't undrstand whuy I like music/bass/guitar so much, probably becuase he doesn't realise what a natural rush I get from playing live.

I'm not obsessed. I think about it, but I don't get time to play. I don't have children, just a girlfriend I see a lot of, but she is super supportive of my playing.

I think guitar/bass/instruments are definitely some of the cooler/less intrusive types of hobby. Some sport are so anti-social, yet being in a band involves you, all your bandmates, and a crowd/family (if family want to watch hahah).

Basically, anyone who doesn't play an instrument is missing out. Its like an extra education. Being musical is VERY important to me, and If i do have children, its getting passed on.

At the moment, my life is career/moving away/playing/getting in a new band/dj-ing at a rock night/working in a job I want to leave to get onto my career/etc etc etc!

You can fit it in. Don't sell. Having a few amps looks much nicer round the house when compared to an expensive over priced car that devaluates every 5 seconds, (unless its an awesome car thats actually worth spending money on). Better than sitting playing video games all day.

Explain the situation to your other half and ask for half an hour to yourself every 2-3 days to turn up and zone out. Has to be done; its in your blood!
Bass: Orange AD200b Mk3 - Orange OBC410 - Orange OBC115

Guitar: Orange Dual Terror - Orange PPC212 Closed Back (Ltd Edition 2009 White)

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 am

I agree with the othr guys, I wouldn't get rid of your gear. The way I look at it, everybody has to do something for themselves as a relief from the stress of life. And there are much more destructive things you could be doing as a hobby. At least this one allows you to be at home while you do it.

Frank H
Orange Master

Post by Frank H » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:29 pm

Do it! In fact I'll give you a couple hundred for the amps.

Seriously though. There will come a time when you will want to play again and the cost of replacing your gear will be much more than what you sold them for.
If you reall need the money sell some stuff but keep your favorite guitar, amp and acoustic.

mikenov

Post by mikenov » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:00 pm

This topic hits home.
I have 2 girls. 1.5 years and 4 years.
They are my #1 priority too but I still get out to play every week. It's work to make it happen and I only go out AFTER 9PM which leads to some rough mornings the day after but It's important for ME to make it happen. It's all about striking a balance.
Your SELF doesn't die when you have a family and it shouldn't have to. Having a family isn't a death sentence right? I put the kids to bed, give my wife a break, bust my *ss making sure it's easy on her the night I am going out, and go have some fun. In fact, some of my best pickin' is when I see my little girl doing the toddler dance to some of my singing. She is just so fun right now.
Sell your gear? That's crazy talk. Hey, some fathers like to hunt, some like to play golf, some leave for 6 hours to go watch football on sundays. I choose to play music. I don't have time or room for three or four hobbies. Those days are gone but if I have to pick one, this is it.
If it ever gets to be too much, I can take a break for a while, catch up on my sleep, and pick it back up when I am recharged or inspired.
BTW, I just pulled out the drum kit and set it up in the living room permanent style. My oldest is banging on those things whenever she gets a chance. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment living in a LOUD house.

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:55 pm

my kids are grown and gone - my bassist and drummer each have two very young kids - like Mikenov, they put the kids to bed and come to my house for 3 or 4 hours of playing every week - the next day is rough for us all, what with the drinking and bong hits, but that's ok - in 8 years, we've hardly ever missed a week - the wives know not to plan anything for Thursday nites - that's OUR nite

Mossbank
Rocker

Post by Mossbank » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Don't sell it all. You'll only end up buying it back further on down the line...