RV 50 combo

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

douguitar

RV 50 combo

Post by douguitar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Hey - new guy Doug here...Love my RV-50 combo, but have been having what appears to be a severe microphonic problem. Certain frequencies (f sharp in particular) cause a rattling hissing noise. I've replaced tubes and tapped around, helped a little. When I tap the choke transformer, it set the sound up and at certain volumes (higher) gets downright annoying. Anyone else out there with a combo have any similar problem? Any suggestions? I've also tried rubber mounting bushings on the choke transformer and a couple of the tube retainer clips, but it's still there. Plugging in to an extension cabinet with the internal speakers disconnected solves the problem, so it's definitely vibration induced. I hate to use this thing just for a head!
Anyone?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: RV 50 combo

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Sorry mate, I'm of no help, but I've noticed how my radiators pipes will vibrate more on F#, G & D than other notes.

Dunno what it is about those notes vibrations patterns that pleases my central heating so much.

Hope you get it sorted soon. A good thing you have another speaker cabinet at hand!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

llldavid
Rocker

Post by llldavid » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:06 am

no help either sry if it makes you feel better the song im workin on is in the key of F# :lol:
i own a orange ad140 and a 412 fender super sonic cab
...and a lot of other junk

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:57 am

Hi Doug,

I had this prob with my Cornford combo. Certain frequencies caused a rattling / vibrating / buzzing noise.

What I ended up doing after numerous suggestions from the guys on here, was to swap out my power tubes. Cornford sent a new pair. Thankfully this worked for me - no more rattle.

One of the original tubes, when shaken, made this weird metallic sound like something had come loose.

So maybe try swapping tubes?
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 am

Hi

1) Sounds to me like a speaker problem - if swapping tubes didn't solve it but a different cab did?

Had a problem with a Bass combo recently, weird buzzing noise on certain notes and eq setting. Tried all sorts of things, eventually solved by putting in a new speaker.

2) Might be worth posting on the technical forum
Mark

greyvents
Orange Expert

Post by greyvents » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:34 pm

oops, sorry missed the bit where you said you'd already tried swapping out the tubes.
Mark

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Classic Player 50s Strat
Orange TT, PPC 112
Cornford Roadhouse 30 Combo

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi Doug,

If swapping to an extension cab made the rattle go away, I think you've solved your problem there.

Unfortunately, part of the mojo of combos is that they tend to have all the little rings caused by internal vibrations. Not much you can do about it other than your solution above. You can try tightening all the fixings - just normally - and you can get high-heat resistant O-rings to go round valves to stop them ringing out if that's what's doing it, but other than that, like it or lump it...!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...