I'm so sorry :( The Rockerverb 50 has to go

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

sharpant
Tiny Terror

I'm so sorry :( The Rockerverb 50 has to go

Post by sharpant » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:42 pm

Well Guys...

I've only had my Rockerverb for a mere 5 weeks.

Now i LOVE the amp but its just not me. It was very hard to come to this conclusion.

I can fully understand why the amp receives the acclaim it does and it fully deserves to do so.

The two terms I'd use to describe the amp are warm and dark (not dark in a bad way, dark in an 'orange' way)

Anyway, I'm going to move onto Marshall to get that EL34 sound back. I've been looking into the JVM410H. Any opinions? I'll be trying one out next week.
I know some people on here will tell me it's trash compared to the Rockerverb 50 but oh well

Also I'm not sure if it's against the rules to advertise gear here? If it is permitted I shall elaborate, if it's not I'll stop there.

I'd like to emphasize, the rockerverb 50 is a FANTASTIC amp, but then again, most of you already know that ;)
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC212
PGM301
RG550
Ibanez Custom Fireman -In production
Laney VC50

CD9266
Orange Master

Re: I'm so sorry :( The Rockerverb 50 has to go

Post by CD9266 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:51 pm

It's okay not to like the RV50 for you. Yeah, it's okay to not like an amp. We won't hate you and stalk you for leaving.

JVM410. I've tried it at GC using various guitars (a Gibby LP custom, a Jackson with a JB in the bridge, a Schecter Hellraiser C1, and my own Les Paul) and I could not for the life of me get a good lead tone that I liked. It was extremely muddy and I couldn't work much with it at the time. I highly suspect that the cab it was sitting on at the time had Celestion G12T-75s in it and I HATE those speakers, such tone suckers IMO.

If you put it with the right cab and can work with the amp and the entire setup more you can probably get a much better tone out of it than I could.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

sharpant
Tiny Terror

Post by sharpant » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:56 pm

Who says I'm leaving :mrgreen: Still have my cab :D
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC212
PGM301
RG550
Laney VC50

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:38 am

Sometimes you just can't get on with an amp....nothing to be sorry about. There are plenty of cool amps out there. Even some orange EL34 ones! :)

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

sharpant
Tiny Terror

Post by sharpant » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:49 am

I see you have a marshall stack! Any recommendations mate? I'll be trying them out first of course.
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC212
PGM301
RG550
Laney VC50

thenetsux
Orange Hero

Post by thenetsux » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:07 am

The AD140 uses 6ca7's or el34's. freaking monster. I see them going used (they are discontinued) for under what you paid for your RV50 all the time. Love that amp sooo much.
http://www.myspace.com/systemsnc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/thebandmake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wicked_Tone
Rocker

Post by Wicked_Tone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 am

I understand what you mean about the character of the RV50. I've owned mainly Marshalls up until early this year when I bought a Rocker 30. I used to own a reissue Marshall 1987X head with a Mark Cameron Doug Aldrich mod, a 1976 Marshall 1987X head, a 1984 Marshall JCM 800 2204 head, a 1985 Marshall JCM 800 4010 combo and a Marshall JTM 30 combo. I owned all of these the last 7 years until recent, when I sold them off, as the Rocker 30 had the right amount of dark character with a fatter bottom end at bedroom to concert volumes, unlike my JCM 800's, which sounded very buzzy until around 4-5 on the master volume. The Cameron modded Marshall sounded awesome, was very tight and articulate, but cost me $350 back in 2002 for the mod by Mark Cameron and I was lucky to get my amp back within a month, unlike the stories of people not receiving they're amps for several months to a year or more. The '76 non master was awesome with just about any overdrive of treble booster I ran through it. The only reason I sold it was the damn thing was just too loud for home use. I've lost some hearing during the last 5 years and even though the amp is 50 watts, its really only a few decibels less than a superlead 100 watt. The Rocker 30 can get a Marshall-like character do to the EL34 power tubes. I run a Keeley Ultra DS1 into the clean channel of my Rocker 30 and it sounds brighter, but still fat and more Marshall sounding than Orange. If you go for a Marshall I would look at getting a 1987X reissue or vintage head on the cheap, or check out Splawn or Voodoo Amps for ultra high gain Marshall grind. The new Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt head was my favorite! 8)

Wicked_Tone
Rocker

Post by Wicked_Tone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:27 am

Here's my former collection of Marshalls:

sharpant
Tiny Terror

Post by sharpant » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:30 am

Cool! I've been looking into the TSL/JVM range
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC212
PGM301
RG550
Laney VC50

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:45 am

Yep I have some ideas! :) Like Wicked Tone mentioned, I like the Rocker 30 (EL34) in fact at one point I had the combo and the head. I still have the combo (great for small shows/practice/and some guys love them for full up shows).

I guess it depends on what you like and how much stage volume you need/can tolerate. I love my 2061x. The 2061 is the most practical marshall non-master volume head I've met. It sounds like a 1968 circuit superlead without the stupid SPL! You can actually play a club without a hotplate! If you are curious as to what different marshall amps sound like recorded, please go check out my myspace page: The tune La Bonita is all 2061, Hurt Factor 10 is a 2204, and Love of An Evil Hearted Woman is a 1971 superlead.

The stack I have in the picture is the Vintage Modern cabs with the G12Cs (just like in the Jimi Hendrix reissue). I really like those cabs...

Having said that, I think you owe it to yourself to go listen to the Orange line. There must be a reason that you got into an Orange in the first place...

I, on the other hand, am terminal....just bought the Jimi Hendrix reissue stack. Oh man I'll never learn..... :?

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:57 pm

I had a 2210 for a few years, and while it was a good amp, it wasn't a great amp. If you NEED the headroom, my suggestion would be to hunt down a used 2204 like Joe has (listen to his tunes to see if you like the sound... and just cause his tunes are good).

If you don't need the headroom, I really like the tone of the 2061x, easily my favorite Marshall -- but, I am biased, as I prefer less headroom and easier breakup. That amp's tone just kills, I still want to get one, but ended up spending my funds on an 18W Dr. Z instead because I got such a good price I could hardly turn it down. But someday, a 2061x will be mine!

No worries if you don't like the RV50, or if it doesn't suit your style quite right. Stick around, we like good people here! :)
- Nathan

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:12 pm

I hear you Nathan (no pun intended) that little 2061x is just so, perfect! And I'm a high horsepower guy. I don't even think it was super popular back in the day, but yeah recording: perfect. Stage volume with a 4x12: perfect. Practice or small club with a 1x12: perfect... A lot of guys use pedals for extra push, but man, straight in sounds best to me and it's got plenty of gain with 57classics or P 90s for dinosaur rock.

You get that NMV clarity without stupid volume.

Oh dear Lord, who said that!!!!????? AHHHHH>>>>>> 100 watt Marshall! Full Stack!!!! :P

(Thanks for the compliment too Nathan!)

-Joe

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:22 am

Before you sell the RV50 consider retubing the preamp, this can make a tremendous difference in how an amp sounds. It's like trying different types of strings on your guitar then one set really makes the guitar come alive, tubes have a similar effect plus you already own the amp and won't have to deal with selling. The RV50 is the most versatile amp on the planet, I got to playing my 65 Amps Royal Albert over the last 2 months but decided this last weekend to take out the RV50 and fell in love with it all over again!

The clean channel is the best of any amp I've had and the dirty channel has a ZZTop type of grind that's just plain fun to play with.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:00 am

if you're an el34 guy why didn't you go for the RV100?
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

sharpant
Tiny Terror

Post by sharpant » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:04 am

Thought the cleans on the RV100 were kinda brittle and harsh :|

As far as I'm aware you can't re-tube a RV50 with different tubes other than 6V6's. Edit- ah i see you said preamp!

I'll be trying a JVM410H tomorrow
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC212
PGM301
RG550
Laney VC50