rocker vs rockerverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

kreator

rocker vs rockerverb

Post by kreator » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Hy!!! my first post :D

i'm thinking of buying one of this amps, i've tried the rv50 and i loved it!!
but i'm kinda cheap and i wouldnt like to give 2k $ for an amp...
thats why i'd like to buy the rocker 30, at this moment i'm not in a situation to try it
so how similar are there dirty chanels?
the amount of gain i'd like to have is about 7,7.5 on the rv50
does the rocker have that amount of gain?

and greetings from croatia! ( sorry if made a few mistakes typing, my english isn't perfect :D :)

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Re: rocker vs rockerverb

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:33 am

Welcome to the forum!

Not tried the Rocker. Big differences: 3 preamp tubes instead of 4. Class A instead of A/B, no effects loop, no reverb (I really like the reverb), EL34 Tubes instead of 6v6s.

The RV50 has more versatility, more gain, and the silky 6v6 sound. The RV50 is only slightly louder. I wanted an amp with reverb and the clean sound of the RV50 is what pushed me in that direction. Neil plays a Rocker 30, and his recordings sound really cool (Ghost in a Jar). You have to play them side by side to make your decision.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:49 am

if you don't miss a reverb and effects loop a rocker is going to sound similar to a rockerverb, but they are different animals. you have to play both
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:23 am

Borderline Productions wrote:Class A instead of A/B
Are you sure about this?
I'm no expert, but if it is true class A, it's really an unusual amp.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:09 am

They are quite different.

1st the clean channel on the rocker has no EQ. (very nicely voiced though).
The dirty channel is very different from that of the RV50 IMO.

Whilst the cleans have something in common, these 2 amps are differents beast from the same linage.

Clear as mud?
I quite wanted a rocker, but ended up shelling much more money than I wanted to get the rockerverb.
The problem, you see, is that once I tried the RV50, nothing else compared very well..... :twisted:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

kmlabs
Orange Expert

Post by kmlabs » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:16 am

I'm a bit of a gain freak, and I much preferred the Rockerverb's dirty channel. I'd say with the gain at 7/7.5 on the RV you're still going to get more gain than the Rocker maxed out - having said that, I only played the Rocker quite quietly in the shop, I'm sure it would sound better cranked up a bit.

As everyone else has said, they're both great sounding amps; for me though the Rockerverb just had more of everything than the Rocker :)
Kerry

Too much gain is... just about enough

kreator

Post by kreator » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:28 pm

i really dont need the eff. loop and the reverb, and i almost never use clean,
i lower my guitar volume , and clean up on the drive chanel

one more question, is the rockers dirty chanel compressed as the rv50, ore more open sounding?

BornUnderBadSign
Tiny Terror

Post by BornUnderBadSign » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm

Orphin wrote:
Borderline Productions wrote:Class A instead of A/B
Are you sure about this?
I'm no expert, but if it is true class A, it's really an unusual amp.

The Rocker 30 is not class A.

The Rocker and Rockerverb are two entirely different amps. Do whatever you can do to try both amps before making a purchase.

edit: the Rocker 30 tends to have a more open sound but you are going to have to crank the amp up a bit to hear this. The Rockerverb 50 gets a much better sound at lower volumes... compresses less at higher volumes but of the two is more compressed.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 pm

kreator wrote: greetings from croatia!
Croatia huh? You can be the first Croatian to sign the Orange Amps map:
http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/map/orangeamps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:)
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:59 pm

If you liked the darkness of the RV50 and that compression then the R30 isn't gonna be your beast. But don't take my word for it you gotta try them both and make your own decision.

The R30 is more punchy and open than the RV50 by a lot. You can get the punchy-ness out of the RV50 but only by using your gain knob as a volume knob and cranking your master volume. Or you can get an OD pedal and run that on the clean channel. I've noticed that when I do that (depending on the pedal) that I can get a punchy sound out of some of the OD pedals.

I hope some of this helps. By any chance, are you playing hard/heavy rock or metal?
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

kreator

Post by kreator » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:52 pm

CD9266 wrote:If you liked the darkness of the RV50 and that compression then the R30 isn't gonna be your beast. But don't take my word for it you gotta try them both and make your own decision.

The R30 is more punchy and open than the RV50 by a lot. You can get the punchy-ness out of the RV50 but only by using your gain knob as a volume knob and cranking your master volume. Or you can get an OD pedal and run that on the clean channel. I've noticed that when I do that (depending on the pedal) that I can get a punchy sound out of some of the OD pedals.

I hope some of this helps. By any chance, are you playing hard/heavy rock or metal?
i like the mids and the colour, the compression i dont like, i like to clean up with the volume pot on my guitar, but the colour of the sound i love :D if the compression of the amp is the reason i'll buy the rockerverb...if not, i'd rather spend the extra money on a single coil guitar, cause the main axe will be gibson explorer with high output ceramic pickups, not very verastile :wink:
in my current band i play stoner/rock, but i have a metal and doom hystory, so i would like to have that coveredi, black sabbath is my favourite band and the band i play the most in my free time

it helps but it seems that i'll have no choice but to put the amps 1 on 1 a pick the better... in croatia its hard to get 2 expensive amps in one shop :(

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Well of the two, the RV is more versatile than the Rocker in that it has a ton of gain on tap should you want it. EQ for the clean channel, an effects loop, and reverb.

I like to use the word "saturation" although some other folks would just call it compression. The RV50 saturates and sounds really fluid for me whenever my tubes are good (I need a retube this month). I found the R30 to be a bit less "saturated" and it has less gain, but it's more punchy and has that EL34 tube sound. The RV50 is darker sounding with it's 6V6s.

If you loved the RV50 then it's probably what you are after. And if you're lucky you might be able to pick one up second hand for much less than 2 grand.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:57 pm

If you look at the Orange product information (only a few mouse clicks from here) you will see that Orange says that the Rocker 30 is a "Class A" amplifier. :!:

This may explain why two EL34, which usually give 50 watts in A/B mode, only give 30 watts. In Class A they are spending more energy to heat the room. That is also why heat dispersion is more of an issue with this amp.

Now I know there has been debate over whether the Class A are really Class A, but Orange is making this claim, and I am just passing it along.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:49 pm

I own a Rocker 30C and RV50 halfstack. Everything here is pretty much spot on. I prefer the RV50, but it does have a bit more compression. It's more versatile and as noted above, slightly louder. I bought the Rocker first, then the PPC412. I ran the PPC12 off the Rocker 30C (w/ the internal speaker disconnected. It easily drove the cab to loud gig levels. At that point the Rocker 30 was the best amp I had ever owned (in 21 yrs playing various amps). Then I bought the RV50. My amp search is over and I haven't looked back.

RV50 = best amp ever.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BornUnderBadSign
Tiny Terror

Post by BornUnderBadSign » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:If you look at the Orange product information (only a few mouse clicks from here) you will see that Orange says that the Rocker 30 is a "Class A" amplifier. :!:

This may explain why two EL34, which usually give 50 watts in A/B mode, only give 30 watts. In Class A they are spending more energy to heat the room. That is also why heat dispersion is more of an issue with this amp.

Now I know there has been debate over whether the Class A are really Class A, but Orange is making this claim, and I am just passing it along.
I understand that. They also list the AD30 as class A, of which it is not.

I have passed along this claim as well and subsequently been schooled by someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I wish I had have retained some of the information to pass along but I did not.

Go check out the valve info for the Rockerverb 50 combo and you will find some more misinformation.