AD15/12 loud enough?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:21 pm

Yeah, I think the line out for amps is intended for PA desks, not as an input for other amps.

An AD15 will be loud, but then again, so can drummers be. Our church is roughly that size, and they always have their amps behind screens purely so that the sound guys can balance the mix correctly without flooding the front of the auditorium. Same reason they put the drummer in a cage. It's not necessarily because he's too loud.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

mindcapsule

Post by mindcapsule » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:29 pm

I have both AD15/12 and an AD30 Head (single Channel) w/4x12 cab.

To me, the 30 watter is not much louder than the 15 it just has a little more headroom.

Although it really depends on the drummer and kit, and of course the kind of music your playing, don't be fooled by the 15 watt rating, as these things are LOUD. For rehearsal and small clubs I use the AD15 and it does a fine job. If your drummer is a basher and you're not being mic'd then you may want to go with 30 watts.

Robert
Mind Capsule
www.mindcapsule.com

shzbard
Orange Master

Post by shzbard » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:14 pm

I mean, we'd be mainly using it at my drummers church anyway, which is reasonably big... We may be able to mic it, who knows.
I did try one in a shop a few months ago, but a guitar shop isn't exactly the place to find out how loud an am is on full :D.
Or mabye it is..
crusha

diness
Rocker

Post by diness » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:15 pm

If you have the option to mic it, I would do it. It's much easier for the sound man to control volume. Really all you need is a mic stand and a shure sm57. If it's a reasonably big church they should be able to mic your amp.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:30 am

Hey man,just some advice,for what you are going to spend on an ad15,you could get a rocker30 for roughly the same price.Just giving you something to think about.Scott
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by feider</i>
<br />Hey man,just some advice,for what you are going to spend on an ad15,you could get a rocker30 for roughly the same price.Just giving you something to think about.Scott
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1

Chris

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:00 am

An AD15 won't cut it alone for a live gig. It would have to be mic'd up to use live- a friend's band uses one and their drummer isn't overly loud- but when I see them, I can't hear his stage volume at all, only the FOH. He has some of his mic'd signal coming back at him through his monitors, too.

drum817
Orange Hero

Post by drum817 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:14 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />An AD15 won't cut it alone for a live gig. It would have to be mic'd up to use live- a friend's band uses one and their drummer isn't overly loud- but when I see them, I can't hear his stage volume at all, only the FOH. He has some of his mic'd signal coming back at him through his monitors, too.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1 15 watts isn't gonna cut it live unless you mic it and run it back through the monitors. I've been playing live gigs for 22 years bro & the smallest amp i'd use would be 30 (tube) watts, but thats just me & my opinion :D
Tim (drum817) "does this mean were not doing stonehenge tommorow night???"

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:32 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">The Rocker30 lists for $**** and the AD15's usually go for less than $800 on eBay.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I'm guessing the Rocker 30 head will be cheaper, maybe?
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

shzbard
Orange Master

Post by shzbard » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:52 pm

Rocker 30... *shudder*
Want an AD series really...
crusha

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:40 pm

Will keep an eye on it, to get a handle on the current re-sale value.
Joe

G(sus) saves

shzbard
Orange Master

Post by shzbard » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:46 pm

Yeah, except that is an unused combo from a shop... People may pay more money for it than a used one.
crusha

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:58 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How do you figure that? The Rocker30 lists for $;) and the AD15's usually go for less than $800 on eBay.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hey, welcome back mystery man. :)
Glad it <i>was</i> 'sooner rather then later', and hope you're doing well there!

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

feider
Lord of Orange

Post by feider » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:10 pm

Hey man,the ad15 I was looking at was on gbase,listed as new,for the same price as what I got my rocker30 for.I also got a price match at guitar center and got the rocker for a little cheaper,havent done any research on used ad15s though,but it is nice to see they hold their value,I just hope the rocker 30 holds its value too.
My name is Scott. This is my other forum. http://bluesguitar.forumcircle.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

reggieisadork

Post by reggieisadork » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:00 pm

I've been gigging off and with my AD15 for about four years or more. Venues with 50 to 300 people don't present much of a volume problem. When you get into a bigger room the sound guy will probably want to mic you anyway. Remember, amps always sound better cranked and if you get too big of an amp for the average venue you play you'll never get to hear how pretty it is. Oh, another thing, stage height makes a difference. If you're playing no higher than a foot or two above a wall of screaming people, most of the stage volume will get soaked up by the front rows. However, if you're on a high stage and your amp is projecting over everyone's heads you'll be well heard.
~Reggie