AMAZING tone.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

klarocca
Tiny Terror

AMAZING tone.

Post by klarocca » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:21 pm

So I was watching this demo and was BLOWN away by the dudes tone. I have a LP custom (albeit an Epi) and a RV50. PLEASE someone tell me the settings to sound like this! I realise the dude is exceptionally talented and that the LP is probs worth $46723876781371778318.74, but somewhere in the ballpark... Thanx!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnXiHGQBSs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

K.
E credo di essere anormale, ebbene non lo so.

otek
Rocker

Re: AMAZING tone.

Post by otek » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:33 pm

It's all in the fingers.

If you were to have changed everything about the setup, to say, a Tele and a Vox AC-30, it still would have sounded great.

otek

kittenface
Orange Master

Post by kittenface » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:03 pm

agree 100%

Taronja
Orange Master

Post by Taronja » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:50 pm

ya! fingers :wink: , no really he is good, but that my friends is a
forty-nine year old Les Paul Standard
(its certainly NOT a Japenese copy) :shock:

yup, that is what some poeple consider, a possessed musical instrument, and trust me, its does have alot to with that amazing tone. and NO you will not sound like this with a Tele, that sounds 100% lik an old vintage Les Paul

thats why guitars like these are worth $46723876781371778318.74

i mean, yeah, it takes talent to be good, but that guitar is TRUELY a tone machine. no sh!t...

Jon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Easter-B ... 6877535568
Member since 2005
Currently a non orange owner. Im actively in search of a vintage OR head... Feel free to send me any leads... :)

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm

otek wrote:It's all in the fingers.

If you were to have changed everything about the setup, to say, a Tele and a Vox AC-30, it still would have sounded great.

otek

Here you are stating that gear has nothing to do with the tone but rather the player. Applying that logic to the world of audio would translate to it doesn't matter what the name on the gear if the audio engineer is good then the sound will be good. Yet you preach name brands as the only way to go. I'll politely point out that you are now contradicting yourself in your comments.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:31 pm

Knuckle Bones wrote:
otek wrote:It's all in the fingers.

otek

Here you are stating that gear has nothing to do with the tone but rather the player. Applying that logic to the world of audio would translate to it doesn't matter what the name on the gear if the audio engineer is good then the sound will be good. Yet you preach name brands as the only way to go. I'll politely point out that you are now contradicting yourself in your comments.
Read the bold line within his quote that's in your quote... He used the term "great", not "the same". Please don't call someone out in the interest of a fight.

A good player can make just about any guitar sound good. If I handed say my Epi Les Paul Standard plugged into my 15 watt Crate GX-15 to someone like say, Steve Vai, he'd make it sound amazing and I'd sit there baffled that my amp could do such a thing.

As to klarocca's question about settings. I would say keep the gain down a bit, or if your ears and neighbors can tolerate it crank your volume knob and use your gain knob as a volume. More punchy and clear tone but by the time you get to that kind of crunch it'll be loud. So I'd recommend that for more of a studio/live thing that jamming in your bedroom.

I also would think that the ToneMaster he is playing through as a LOT to do with that specific "tone" that you are liking. So yes to get "that tone" you'd want that guitar and that amp. Since you don't have those two, play around with your amp and guitar a bit to try to get as close as you can to it. Don't forget that your volume knob can be used as a gain control as well.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:55 pm

edit:

Nevermind...I think I'm finished with this forum at this point.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:00 pm

I don't know all the different historical arguments and fights of this forum (some people told me about it when I first joined) and I don't have a particularly good memory, but there's no need to fight. I'll use the advice that I tell all the folks on my gaming community forum. Take it to PM and sort it out there.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

otek
Rocker

Post by otek » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Knuckle Bones wrote:Here you are stating that gear has nothing to do with the tone but rather the player. Applying that logic to the world of audio would translate to it doesn't matter what the name on the gear if the audio engineer is good then the sound will be good. Yet you preach name brands as the only way to go. I'll politely point out that you are now contradicting yourself in your comments.
For a guy who stated a while back he was going to ignore my posts altogether, you sure are paying a lot of attention. :lol:

What I was saying, as I seem to have to clarify my point to the cheap seats, is that people will always be blown away by performance, and believe that tone somehow is a quality extricable from it.

It really doesn't matter which settings the OP uses on his amp. Even if he manages to come close to the actual core tone of that amp and guitar (and I am not holding my breath here), it will not give him the same impression. If on the other hand he got THAT guy to play his rig, he would find that with a few seconds of knob-twiddling, he would get roughly the same impression of the sound. That is not to say the OP couldn't come up with OTHER interesting tones unique to HIS way of playing.

A friend of mine once saw Yngwie Malmsteen and Brian May swap rigs and guitars at a trade show. They still sounded pretty much like themselves, give or take.

This is NOT the same as "ignoring the importance of the gear". A good musician will sound better with a great guitar. But more than that, he will ENJOY PLAYING much more, which means he will deliver an inspired performance.

otek

Drdos
Orange Master

Post by Drdos » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 am

Love the sound of the guitar and amp, but I find it a little cheesy that he's selling his voice more then the guitar.. :P He is a good playah though...
Vince

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:36 am

oh. man.

-edit- that guy kinda reminds me of the pauly shore of guitar players.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 am

To me, it just sounds like a gibson with a crunchy amp TBH. I don't think we need to get too microscopic about the specifics of the tone; guitar at the verge of breakup.
I get a kick out of how the guitarist takes 3-4 minutes to tell you that most drummers play the start of "rock and roll wrong", but then goes into the main riff and plays it wrong himself. :lol:

klarocca
Tiny Terror

Post by klarocca » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:39 am

Wendigo wrote:To me, it just sounds like a gibson with a crunchy amp TBH. I don't think we need to get too microscopic about the specifics of the tone; guitar at the verge of breakup.
I get a kick out of how the guitarist takes 3-4 minutes to tell you that most drummers play the start of "rock and roll wrong", but then goes into the main riff and plays it wrong himself. :lol:
Haha! I thought it sounded wrong, but I'm not really in the position to criticize.. I don't know, I just love the sound of that little Tonemaster amp.
E credo di essere anormale, ebbene non lo so.

rjbir
Tiny Terror

Post by rjbir » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:30 am

Phil X is the man, I've been a fan of his for a while now. Every guitar he plays sounds amazing and he is a funny fecker aswell.
2007 '59 RI LP (LemonBurst)
Orange RK50H + PPC212OB
Cornford Hurricane
Mesa Mark V Combo

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:48 am

Taronja wrote:
forty-nine year old Les Paul Standard
(its certainly NOT a Japenese copy) :shock:
The fact it's an online video with highly compressed audio would make 10 times the difference to the sound than what guitar he was using, even if he had a cheap Chinese knockoff!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC