Signal processors?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

aokd00d
Rocker

Signal processors?

Post by aokd00d » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:19 pm

Anybody use any to enhance their tone? I've been looking at the Aphex 204 Aural Exciter and Optical Big Bottom, wondering if it's worth it? I know the BBE Sonic Maximizer does generally the same thing, but I'm just wondering if it might be cool using something like this with my guitar setup, as they're generally used with DJ and PA systems.

Thoughts?
Gunnar

jord123
Orange Hero

Re: Signal processors?

Post by jord123 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:16 pm

I run all my mixes though the bbe sonic maximizer which helps every thing sound like its in the same room (bonus) great for home recording, but, I just picked up a ehx blackfinger optical tube compressor pedal which actually sounds better, was cheeper, and is easy to throw in a pedal chain for those of use who don't have roadies to wire up a complex rack efx system. hands down the best thing I have done for my tone to date!
Rain..Ammunition

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 pm

You can get the BBE sonic maximiser in a stomp box these days.

I use an Aphex acoustic xciter for my acoustic guitar... yeah, they're worth it I think. They sort of pick out the best frequencies in your guitar bass and top end and make them stand out a bit more. I imagine the electric guitar unit does the same.

It's worth getting one off eBay used and seeing if it floats your boat. I like 'em.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

aokd00d
Rocker

Post by aokd00d » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:37 am

I think I'm gonna give it a go and if I don't like it, I'll just return it. I'm not really a fan of stomp boxes and just bought a rack that still has some room in it, so I'm just looking around for anything rack-mountable that my tone could benefit from :D
Gunnar

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:25 am

No probs - BBE and Aphex are the two main culprits and both of them do racks and stomps, so take your pick.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:28 am

Don't know about the BBE units but purists and PA dudes slam them pretty hard because of the way they manipulate time as well as filtering in excited harmonics. But if you like what it does to your tone then it is a good thing.
I have an ancient 1/2 rack Aphex Aural exciter on my board and although I don't use it much (maybe 2 numbers a night) it can brighten up a strat and with some compression gives that very produced clean sound for comercial material. Its interesting how these units work by hiving off some signal and distorting it, they then extract some harmonics generated by the clipping and discreetly add them back to the dry signal to be percieved as brightness.

Try before you buy is the key here. Remember that too much bottom end can sound good alone in your bedroom but totally beggers up the sound when you get the whole band on a stage.

HTH
Here we go; three, four...

otek
Rocker

Post by otek » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 am

Exciters can help sometimes if used very sparingly (as in, you can barely tell it's there), but I find they also screw things up - particularly those that involve phase manipulation as well as harmonics.

Most people, when hearing two mixes which are identical save for a slight high end boost on one of them, will pick the brighter alternative. The problem is, your ears adjust to hearing more of it, so you may run the risk of successively adding more and more highs which screws up the way you hear the spectral balance of your instrument.

otek

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:26 pm

Just enough to make it better, but not so much that it is noticeable. I think that is good advice for any effect. Also applies to using spices when cooking.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:46 pm

If a person knows how to use them correctly they are great.
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

aokd00d
Rocker

Post by aokd00d » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Any suggestions on which works best? I've read up about the Aphex Aural Exciter and Big Bottom, BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer, and Phonic T8300 Tube Enhancer/Exciter, which all generally are used to do the same thing (excites high frequencies and enhances low frequencies) and are the same price. The Phonic seems pretty cool, uses 12AX7S valve preamplifier, but Phonic also has the A6100 which is literally the same exact thing without the tubes and $120 cheaper, so it kind of makes me skeptical about T8300's quality next to the Aphex and BBE if that makes any sense.

Thoughts on that?
Gunnar

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:33 am

Aphex developed the technology way back IIRC so they should be the masters of the devices?
Here we go; three, four...

otek
Rocker

Post by otek » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:08 am

Aphex and BBE both use their own patented technologies. Aphex introduced the whole "Exciter" concept to the market back in the 70s. Both companies have other signal-processing equipment of high quality. Phonic on the other hand is a budget brand which never blew my skirt up with anything they've done.

As for exciters in general, I personally wouldn't use them in a regular touring guitar rig because I don't feel there is a need for them - it's an additive which you get "addicted" to, and which also takes away from the sound in certain areas. In a recording situation I might try one, but again, it is totally need-based - meaning if I can't get what I am after with simple EQ and compression, I might try it.

otek

aokd00d
Rocker

Post by aokd00d » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:51 pm

I think I'm going to go with the Aphex and try it out. It's the same exact thing as the BBE, except instead of one knob for Low Contour and one knob for Process, the Aphex has 3 for each [(Drive, Tune, Mix)(Tune, Harmonics, Mix)]. Kind of like comparing a TT to any other Orange EQ wise, I'd rather be able to have a little more control over each effect. I'll let you guys know how it sounds!
Gunnar

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:02 pm

It's my best understanding that there isn't much you can do to help the RV's distortion channel. My ZW overdrive doesn't do much of anything but cut the low end or dampen the sound and make's it hum like crazy. I like the raw overdrive sound of my RV50's gain channel by itself and it doesn't want help in any way, nor need it (save for some new tubes...)
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

otek
Rocker

Post by otek » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 am

aokd00d wrote:It's the same exact thing as the BBE

No.

It isn't.

otek