DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

ReggaeJoe

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Post by ReggaeJoe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:22 am

Might be a bit late to this, but I'm still gonna dive in.

WHICH ORANGE AMP DO YOU USE?

I roll with a 2013 Gibson SG Standards through a Tiny Terror or a TH30 through a pair of PPC112 cabs. The SG is modded with treble bleeds on the pups, Graphtech saddles, and a bone nut.

WHICH OVERDRIVE PEDALS WORK BEST FOR YOU?

Right now, it's a tie between a Strymon Riverside and my beat-up Boss Blues Driver. I've also got an MXR GT-OD pedal as well, but it's not currently in use.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

I dig the Strymon because it's got a lot of tone-shaping options--low, mid, and high knobs, mid-push on/off, and a hi/low gain select. Responds well to tweaking, especially when I pair it with the crunch/dirty channel on the TH30.

On the other hand, I also like the Blues Driver because it really accentuates the amps' natural ranges. I prefer to really crank the volume on both of my amps and not get too crazy with the onboard gain, and then hit the tubes even harder with the pedals--more volume and less drive boost. It REALLY sounds good with the dirty channel on the TH30, which I tend to think responds better to the Strymon. I usually prefer to pair the Blues Driver with the Terror.

PEDALS YOU RECOMMEND STAYING CLEAR OF:

Honestly, the MXR pedal is something that I'm probably going to sell. It's not a bad pedal--but I'm never satisfied with how it responds to the amps, especially with midrange response.
Gibson guitars / Orange amps / Reggae/ Rock and Roll

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm

The BB Preamp works incredibly well with Orange amps, plus it's orange. A match made in heaven.

CalgaryBen

Post by CalgaryBen » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:25 am

I'm currently playing a Tiny Terror and TH30. I have already owned a OR15 and RK50 Mk II.

So far the best I've played is just a regular Boss SD-1. That pedal really shines with any Orange amp. The very new Horizon Devices Nano Attack is also amazing with both my amps. The OCD is also a proven friend of Orange amps.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
The Boss SD-1 adds some light overdrive with a tight bottom end, that works really well with Orange amps gain structure. The Nano Attack basically turns any amp into a modern metal djent machine, and suits Orange really well.

I don't think tubescreamers tend to work that well with Orange amps. The MXR Dist + didn't work well with any Orange amp I tried either.
Orange TH30 / Orange TT / Horizon Nano Attack / Airis Savage Boost / Dunlop KH95 / Boss NS-2 / Line 6 G30 / Bogner OS 212

NJD3VIL77

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:11 pm

OR15 with PPC112

Honestly there is enough gain on tap with this amp to not need one, riding the guitar volume works like a charm. That being said, I have tried a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Sparkle Drive, and J Rockett Flex Drive with this amp. All sound good but for me unnecessary. Out of these 3 though I would prefer the FD2.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
The FD2 is the most transparent of the 3 in Mosfet mode. The Sparkle Drive set to a clean boost was also very good.

Any full on distortion pedal. Also be wary of TS type pedals with this amp due to the mid hump.

RSWRecording

Post by RSWRecording » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm

CalgaryBen wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:25 am
I'm currently playing a Tiny Terror and TH30. I have already owned a OR15 and RK50 Mk II.

So far the best I've played is just a regular Boss SD-1. That pedal really shines with any Orange amp. The very new Horizon Devices Nano Attack is also amazing with both my amps. The OCD is also a proven friend of Orange amps.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
The Boss SD-1 adds some light overdrive with a tight bottom end, that works really well with Orange amps gain structure. The Nano Attack basically turns any amp into a modern metal djent machine, and suits Orange really well.

I don't think tubescreamers tend to work that well with Orange amps. The MXR Dist + didn't work well with any Orange amp I tried either.
That's so interesting...I also have the OR15 and RK50 Mk II. They've never failed me, and always add something extra to the mix.

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:44 am

I have the following Orange amps:
Rocker 15 Terror
Brent Hinds Terror
Jim Root Terror
Dark Terror
Micro Dark Terror
I use them thru the following 3 cabs:
custom Marshall 412 with Celestion Vintage 30s @ 8 Ohms
EVH 5150 III 212 & 112 with Celestion 70th Anniversary both 16 Ohms

Built 2 pedalboards both have split signal chain for preamp pedals and FX Loop using 4-cable method:
Board #1
for low gain - Way Huge Saucy Box also vintage voiced but can get a hint of modern out of it, very warm tone
for medium gain - MXR il Diavolo Overdrive - essentially an MXR GT-OD on steroids has switch to choose between 3 clipping modes
for high gain - MXR EVH 5150 Overdrive - based on EVH 5150 III amp's "Blue Channel" has the 3 band EQ, built in adjustable Smart Gate great at taming unwanted noise, and 6dB Boost button that fattens up the mids
Board #2
for low gain - Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 re-issue, the iconic vintage pedal of the 70s & 80s Classic & Hard Rock era
for medium gain - Rocket Surgeon Astro Rock-it Overdrive, warm, organic crunch with fantastic note articulation and response to picking styles
for high gain - Analog Alien Fuzzbubble-45 a dual overdrive/fuzz pedal vintage voiced with an organic tone

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
see question 2 for description of each of my overdrive choices

For Orange amp which have their own unique classic British Crunch and typically loads of gain, I never use distortion pedals, in my opinion, does not complement the amp's gain nor is it a good combination tonally, just a boost (clean or dirty) and overdrives
Last edited by stargazer747 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Vanilla Latte

Post by Vanilla Latte » Thu May 09, 2019 5:41 pm

OR 15
CR-60C Pro

Fulltone OCD - It's super transparent. Just gives you more of what you already have, without coloring the signature Orange sound.
MI Audio Crunch Box - If you like your mids peaked a little. Just a great sounding pedal.

Any modeling pedals like stuff from Tech 21 or "amp in a box" pedals like some the Wampler pedals (Triple Wreck, Pinnacle, etc.). Can't beat a good old school OD for pushing an amp into sonic mayhem. :wink:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu May 09, 2019 8:39 pm

A lot has changed since I first posted, so here goes part II:

WHICH ORANGE AMPS DO YOU OWN?
2007 Orange AD200B MK 3
2001 Orange AD30TC
2013 Orange AD30TC
2001 Orange AD140TC
2012 Orange OR15
1978 Orange OR80M
1991 Orange OR80M
2006 Orange Micro Crush
2012 Orange Micro Terror
2012 Orange Stereo Micro Crush
2007 Orange Tiny Terror
1975 OMEC 150EQ
1975 Jimmy Bean JB150

AD30TC combo

OR80M- none work
AD140TC- Marshall Drivemaster (original), Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (both discontinued)
AD30TC- I use a TC Electronics G-System. I have a Nova Drive in the rack which works well, also a VoodooLabs Proactavia
OMEC 150EQ - I use a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic that sounds fantastic

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
only ones I found that work and sounded natural

MXR's

northernguitarguy
Tiny Terror

Post by northernguitarguy » Wed May 29, 2019 7:33 pm

WHICH ORANGE AMPS DO YOU USE?

I presently own a Rocker 15 Terror. I used to own a Tiny Terror. I loved the TT, but I need a two-channel amp and demand a gorgeous clean. The R15T has dealt with all that. I use it for jamming and the occasional gig.

Digitech Bad Monkey. However, since the thread title includes FUZZ, I also have a BUGGFX Raincoat and a BYOC 'Leeds' Superfuzz clone.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
The BM gooses the Orange in just the right way. The addition of the bass control was most certainly welcome with the TT, less important with the 3-band EQ on the Rocker 15 Terror's Dirty Channel. Adds a little 'crispy crunch' to my toanz.

The FUZZ pedals were a bust with the TT, but EVERY pedal sounds glorious through the Natural channel on the Rocker.

The TT didn't like much beyond the Bad Monkey. The Rocker 15 Terror likes them all. I'll recommend avoiding a new BOSS DS-1, just because.

MojoBlaster

Post by MojoBlaster » Fri May 31, 2019 12:45 am

AD50 CS atop PPC112 X 2.

Mad Professor hand wired Sweet Honey Overdrive & Xotic BB both used very judiciously to add just the right amount of filth.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
These were what I could afford at the time and have just hung on to them for some time.

Anything to fizzy.
CS Stratocaster, CS Telecaster, partscaster Cabronita, Orange AD50 CS, OR15H, PPC 112 x2, Victoria 45410, Strymon Flint, El Capistan, Sweet Honey OD, JHS Bolt, Keeley Comp, Tiny Orange Phaser, Peterson Classic tuner, Pedal Power 2 Plus.

TinyTH30

Post by TinyTH30 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:56 pm

I play a Tiny Terror and TH30 head into 2 Panama 2x12's. One with 50w Greenback voiced speakers and the other with Alnico Blue and Creamback voiced speakers in a wet/dry setup with both amps moderately crunchy. Mainly playing hardcore, post-hardcore stuff with my band and pretty much everything else outside of them.

I've used a ton of ODs and boosts with them, but the ones that really stood out to me were the Earthquaker Devices Arrows, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (Switchable Non-MOSFET version) and the DOD Boneshaker and Fender Engager.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

The Arrows, I love for the simplicity. It's one knob, and it works awesomely. Below noon, it adds a bit of upper mid presence and helps tighten up the low end without getting too aggressive on the low cut. When it goes past noon it adds a bit of dirt which can really push a broken up amp into a great OD or a dirty amp into clear, crisp high gain.

The FD-2 is probably the most used for me. It does the TS/SD-1 thing, but doesn't cut out as much low end, which I love with my Oranges since they can be a bit lean in the lows to begin with. This can be ran 18v for increased headroom and it has a lot of volume on tap if needed. I usually run this at 18v in the vintage mode with volume maxed, tone around 3 o'clock and the gain at zero for a boost up front. The boost function, I don't use much, but i'll usually leave it dimed and kick in on if I want to blast the crowd with feedback.

Now, the Boneshaker was a wild card. I had seen them bought and sold when all the companies were blowing them out and immediately dismissed them. My band was working on recording a single, and picked one a whim because I wanted something unique to kill the front end of my TH30 for a particular section. I was surprised to find that this thing works excellent as a "clean" boost. The 3-band semi-parametric EQ is highly interactive allowing huge boost and cut on all bands. You can also drive each band into breakup which can really push a dirty amp any way you want. Tight, midsy, modern tones all the way to sludge city and everything in between. It also sounds great as a drive into a slightly broken amp and is capable of some massive high gain sounds if dialed in right.

The Fender Engager is quite a useful little box as well. Like the Boneshaker, it has 3-bands of Eq, although these are fixed. About 20db of cut and boost on each band with the mid having the option of 400Hz or 800Hz. The bass and treble controls are voiced in a way that even at its most extreme settings you still don't lose all the tones or crowd the rest of the sound too much. The treble control, when combines with the level and the rest of the EQ set neutral can coax some Iommi style treble boost, which is probably my favorite use. The swithcable buffer is also quite clean and effective.

PEDALS YOU RECOMMEND STAYING CLEAR OF: There hasn't really been any pedals that I have had bad results with in front of my TT or TH30. I do find that a lot of AIAB style pedals, even into a clean amp, sound more Orange than anything else, but that's about it.

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:50 am

Only been playing a couple of years so am open to some ideas...

Orange Crush CR20 and a CR60 pro

I've got a Big Muff Nano, Modded Boss DS1 and a Fuzz War. Mainly use the Fuzz War, dialled back a bit on the fuzz to about 10o'clock and midday on the tone, gives a nice and dirty overdrive/distortion sound without getting too fizzy on the fuzz. Sometimes use the DS1 but more as a boost. The Big Muff Nano gets added sometimes to create some nasty sounds.

Keep hearing about the Fulltone OCD paring very well with Orange amps so may give that a go. If any other solid state crush fans have good knowledge then my ears are open.

Only other pedals on the go are a Boss Tremolo and Boss DD7 delay.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

Massively into Thee Oh Sees so heard of the Fuzz War via them and it works well for me and my ears, plus the big knobs on it mean you can use your foot to turn them whilst playing. Really great pedal in general, good clarity and variety of tones. Raved about for good reason.

Spider Mark

Post by Spider Mark » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:23 am

Dark Terror

Rocker 15 Terror
Spaceman Mercury IV Boost
A lot of my meagre collection sound amazing in the Clean channel of the Rocker 15

EDIT: AmpTweaker TightDrivePro. It does what it says and tweaks the dirty channel of the Rocker or the Dark Terror beautifully. I refer it to using the Mercury now because this brings out the harmonics of the amp, although the Merc works in the Clean Channel of the Rocker.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
In Stereo, the Rocker 15, esp with Clean Channel, enables me to use it as a pedal platform while I have the amazing tones of the Dark Terror as my base. I don't like pedals with either amps Dirty channel, but the Clean on the Rocker 15, and all my Drive/Distortion/Fuzz pedals come alive.

The Spaceman Boost I like on the Dirty channel of the Rocker 15 with a bit of gin, and the Dark sometimes when I up the Gain.

Most sound pretty good with this setup, but obviously better pedals sound better. Tubescreamers as mentioned don't do much for me. I honestly have the most fun running the Rocker 15 slightly Dirty with the Merc IV as the "Clean" and use the Dark as my serious Gain. Lovin' it so much I'm wondering about other Terros or my long term dream of a Dual Dark and Rockerverb 50