DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE FORUM GUIDE TO: Overdrive Pedals

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:07 pm

*ahem* bump :P ;)
Last edited by Le Chat Noir on Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Tugboat30

Post by Tugboat30 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:13 pm

WHICH ORANGE AMP DO YOU USE?
Orange Crush 15 and a Crush 30R (I think it might be interesting for those who are playing solid state Oranges too, and are wondering which OD pedal i.e. works with these amps).

WHICH OVERDRIVE PEDALS WORK BEST FOR YOU?
Arion Tubulator (modified - I threw in some Germanium diodes), Ibanez TS9 (also modified) and a DIY Booster/Overdrive.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
Well, after fooling around with several other brands for a while, I came back to the roots somewhat. I must admit, that after the mods (all mods with Germanium diodes) both amps sounded less harsh and seemed to accept the pedals better. Before I forget, I play mostly with a slightly overdriven sound rather than with a full distortion. Furthermore, I like the "steal" of bass frequencies done by both pedals - Arion Tubulator and TS9 - because in a band context I do not want too much bass coming from the guitar. Thus, it cuts better through the mix.

PEDALS YOU RECOMMEND STAYING CLEAR OF:
Needless to say, that beauty is in the ear of the beholder but stay away from any insane-high-octane-gain fuzz and/or distortion pedal. They are not suitable for an amp (does not matter which model - tube or solid state) like an Orange.

Cheers,
Daniel
Cheers,
Daniel

markjazzbassist
Orange Hero

Post by markjazzbassist » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:19 am

bass overdrive

ad200 used
pedal is tonefactor cream pie deluxe
with the gain maxed, tone at minimum (bassiest), and level to taste

the germanium overdrive REALLY pairs well with tubes. sounds so warm and creamy and has a nice edge that's not too harsh or brash.
1969 Fender Jazz Bass
Former Pics Only OR120 Owner (hope to own one again soon!)

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:14 am

AD30Tc (2X12 combo)

I use a vox dual overdrive. It's essientally two overdrive pedals. One side can be set with light gain while the other can be set for higher gain. I find good tone on almost the entire gain dial though for some reason it always seems to sound best with my guitar's tone knob turned almost all the way clockwise.

esch
Tiny Terror

Post by esch » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:27 am

Well if this is the definitive guide to overdrive (not distortion which I wouldn't use anyway)...

MAXON OD820. Smoothest overdrive, it's the best of what I've tried, just about every od out there over the past 20 or so years. It even smoked the Klon Centaur, a revered boutique pedal, head to head in Guitar mag a few years back.

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:28 pm

For may Rockerverb 50 or my Retro 50 I use a Klon pedal, it just takes the amp to a whole new level. My set-up is pretty much like this:

PRS Santana MD > Fulltone Wah > Klon > Amp. For the RV50 I put a Carbon Copy Delay and a Fullton Sup-trem and a MXR Microamp in the effects loop. For the Retro 50 I put the trem and delay just after the Klon then into the amp input. I can play pretty much anything I need to with this set up and the carry in/carry out is simple.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Post by Le Chat Noir » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:56 pm

Bump :P
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:48 am

I use a thunderverb fifty

In front: byoc triboost, nyc big muff, soul preacher compressor, metal muff
In loop: mxr micro amp

The triboost is an awesome pedal. Lpb, micro amp, and germanium boost circuits on a selector switch with a switch for full, treble and mid boost for the germanium. I user out for either a line driver out front to liven things up or for full on boosting.

The soul preacher is a decent bargain comp, which I use to sparkle, boost, squash, add detail to the metal muff or make the big muff extra crispy

The big muff is what it is, love it or hate it. works best when amp is set cleanish, bit can get some really dirty nose tones when used creatively with the other drive pedals and the amps gain

Metal muff is for when I'm in the mood to shed, but usually gets practically employed as a drive tone to highlight modulation effects that don't typically play too well with ods or fuzz. Great for bringing the crazy effects to the forefront. Also great with delay and had a useful treble boost switch

Micro amp stays in the loop as a boost for solos. Works great.

Stay clear of: every pedal does something for someone. Never really cared for od pedals in general, either boost into od, channel switch into od, or mangle up everything with fuzz. My byoc screamer is good though, despite not getting along with other screamers. Oh and despite the world en masse, steer clear of the fuzz factory. There, I said it
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

sunshine_killer
Tiny Terror

Post by sunshine_killer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:08 am

Orange AD30TC

Ulbrick Phataxe, and Big Muff Pi w/ tone and wicker switch.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

Ulbrick Phataxe, handmade boutique OD pedal made in Oz, some of the smoothest ever overdrive on this pedal. Doesn't unnecessarily alter your tone or sound digital. Contrasts well with the fizzy Orange AD30 gain. Depending on what I'm playing dictates if I use Orange gain or Phataxe. Works well as an OD boost.

The Big Muff for its fuzz, I always have the tone knob bypassed as I prefer this sound much more; sounds bigger and thicker. The high end (wicker) switch gives it more bite.

I have a Guyatone Metal Monster Tube pedal. Honestly, its really good for bottom heavy riffs/songs, but the high notes sound as if they tried to make it too metal sounding. Tired it with a few guitars and amps with same result.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:57 am

OR80M
AD140TC
AD30TC

OR80M- none work
AD140TC- Marshall Drivemaster (original), Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (both discontinued)
AD30TC- same as AD140TC

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
only ones I found that work and sounded natural

MXR's

rufus
Tiny Terror

Post by rufus » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Amp- Rocker 30

Which pedals and reasons of choice?
SHO clone that broke down on me, it turned my tele and strat into flamethrowers.
Danelectro cto, it's cheap as dirt and pooh's on the distortion side of the box of rock i also have.
Big muff, after trying a couple of things the big muff sounds best when it comes to fuzz, on the clean channel that is.

Stay away from:

Proco you dirty rat.
Subdecay f-bomb, great pedal on other amps I tried it with but don't try it with the rocker.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Rockerverb 50 head with PPC212 with V30s

Tech 21 Tri-A.C.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

I have never been into pedals. I have always wanted to get the sound from the amp. The distortion from the RV50 delivers on this so well that pedals are superfluous. I already owned the Tech 21 Tri-A.C. as my former amp only distorted through the power tubes at high volumes. This pedal is not really a distortion pedal (despite what the company says), but allows three settings of the SansAmp amplifier modeling. So it can do Fender, Marshall, or Mesa type distortion. It has active EQ, Drive, and Level controls, so lots of different sounds can be dialed in. It really only sounds good through the clean channel of the RV50. The Fender sound is terrific. The Mesa sound is more like a distortion pedal. The Marshall sound is too brittle/bright. When you dial in the sound you want, when you change guitars, you need to redial. The controls are quite sensitive, which is a double-edged sword.

PEDALS YOU RECOMMEND STAYING AWAY FROM:

I avoid pedals generally.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blackcloud45
Orange Master

Post by blackcloud45 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 pm

Y0UNGBL00D wrote:...Oh and despite the world en masse, steer clear of the fuzz factory. There, I said it
I agree w/ this too.

http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.myspace.com/lovea45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:05 pm

blackcloud45 wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:...Oh and despite the world en masse, steer clear of the fuzz factory. There, I said it
I agree w/ this too.
Agree too if your looking for that same old germaniumfuzzsound. HOWEVER if you want a crazy-gated-feedbackgenerator-robotersound-box theres nothing that beats the good old factory
Cheers
World en masse

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:05 am

at the moment i am torn which i like more between the timmy the OCD and the Catalinbread DLS

i also LOVE the little big muff for neck pickup dirty violin type psych lead stuff... but it's hard to get it to stand out in the mix...
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/