Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pedals

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:25 am

Bensen wrote:
blackcloud45 wrote:
Y0UNGBL00D wrote:...Oh and despite the world en masse, steer clear of the fuzz factory. There, I said it
I agree w/ this too.
Agree too if your looking for that same old germaniumfuzzsound. HOWEVER if you want a crazy-gated-feedbackgenerator-robotersound-box theres nothing that beats the good old factory
Cheers
World en masse
Which is why i have both. But I figure most people want a consistent, predictable pedal which the ff is not. Mine seems to have fourteen less crazy and cool over the years for some reason too
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

blenk
Rocker

Post by blenk » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:26 am

WHICH ORANGE AMP DO YOU USE?
Orange Dual Terror

WHICH OVERDRIVE PEDALS WORK BEST FOR YOU?
Ive only got an EHX LPB Nano at the moment.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
I wanted a cheap boost due to my failure in building my SHO Clone :( however the LPB is great. Its boost is fantastic, doesn’t seem to add much gain if at all any and really fattens it up, just what I wanted really for solo’s.

PEDALS YOU RECOMMEND STAYING CLEAR OF:
Cant comment too much on this tried a few pedals on my old Vox AD30VT such as the Digitech Grunge and a Boss MT-2 both of which I didn’t like but I haven’t tried many on the Orange I just don’t need a distortion pedal when I have the fat channel.

[Ill Keep updating as i get/try more]
blenk
Orange Dual Terror + PPC112
Cheap Modded Strat

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:34 am

Much overdue *BUMP*
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:24 am

very cool. i never knew this existed.

Rocker 30 Head+ Avatar Cab 212 (2 V30s)

Visual Sound Comp 66

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
yes, a compressor. compression set low (9 oclock), gain set on full. when it's off, there's less gain and it allows the ridiculous touch sensitivity of the Rocker to shine through. when it's on, it boosts the gain quite a bit, and compresses slightly. does the job of two pedals (boost, comp) in one.

any pedal with actual op-amp overdrive. any "distortion" pedal would fall under this; i've tried several with bad results. your run of the mill tubescreamer overdrive won't usually work well either. have yet to try fuzzes through it yet...that'll have to change soon :)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:43 am

jason41224 wrote:very cool. i never knew this existed.
Yeah, i think it's way cool! I've tried pedals I've never heard of before due to this thread. How's about getting it stickied, Billy? :D
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:21 pm

amp: AD30R combo.
pedals: late-70's op-amp big muff with the sustain below half. crowther audio prunes and custard. fuzz factory.
why: i like em.
pedals not to use: i've never really tested any other stuff with my orange. these three cover my dirt/drive needs perfectly.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

everdrone
Orange Expert

Post by everdrone » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:31 pm

thunderverb 50 with 212 closed back cab for heavy rock

my ratII - it is a distortion pedal

it sounds similar to overdrive, colors the sound some, gives a bit more midrange. I also run a tuner pedal, alice in chains wah, and a decimator Gshock noisegate.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

the noisegate and rat work great together because the noisegate is actually two noisegates - one for the guitar pickup, and one loop for pedals. so I can get tons of cripsy crust from the rat and NO NOISE.

fuzzes - if you like chug chunk and stuff, you cant palm mute with a fuzz!
My solo downtuned HEAVY rock project: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

Guitarist and Bassist in Fort Worth, TEXAS

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:24 pm

AD30TC combo

Vox Duel overdrive

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

It's basically 2 Vox top boost pedals in one box. It goes really well with the AD30. Can brighten the amp some. I also like be able to have two different settings that I can use. I usually set one side to moderate gain and set the other for a heavier sound.

I don't really like Fuzz pedals but I'm not sure why anyone would care which ones I don't like. Try a bunch out and stick with whatever one floats your boat. It's all subjective.

BadMonkey
Tiny Terror

Post by BadMonkey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:03 pm

orange TH30

digitech bad monkey

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

tightens up really well, low and high control are win against a tone knob, affordable, reliable, does not colour tone much(any colouration of tone is complimentary to the amp) looks great (especially with the orange :D ) and is not as bad as it's name suggests :lol:

ibanez tube king pedals due to the over colouration of tone (the original tone just doesn't get through :( ) sure they sound good, but why get an orange if ur gonna use it with these. I also have to come to really dislike some digital delays, they just can't do the tape delay thing the way an analog delay can, i think analog delays tend to sound alot warmer there clean but not pristine clean like a digital, the notes are clean but the repeats are dirty 8)
Last edited by BadMonkey on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen:

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:01 am

i don't use any pedal with the rocker30 because i hate the way it takes all my pedals.
it sounds best on it's own. is use another amp for pedals and yes i carry two amps to a gig :lol:
accept darkness.

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:37 am

TV200, CR25BX

MXR108, FULLTONE 70s, SEYMOUR DUNCAN PICKUP BOOSTER

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
Pickup booster and Fuzz is used only with my favourite Strat (low gain single coils). Those two are never used together. I usually play with gain round about midnight - PB makes the strat sound "humbuckerish" when I need to (and it really works) so I don't have to switch guitars. The fuzz pedal is more like a fun option when I jam with my friends at home.
However, when I play high gain guitars (GIBSies, IBANies) I don't need any pedals than my tone and volume knobs with this amp. Distortions can kinda dry the sound when used in low gain settings but I always ended prefering not to.
MXR108 is like a swiss knife, always used in the loop. Usually I would cut down some bass freq depending on the size of the room, add some sparkling highs for funk etc.
In a live situation when I don't have my own cab. I only bring the MXR108 with me and end up not using it since I can easily dial a good sound to get through the night (usually using an ibanez).

Wahs, just to protest against people overusing them :lol: :lol:

Jonny69

Post by Jonny69 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Rockerverb 50 1x12 combo

None, I have sold them all, and all the distortion pedals. Had a fair few different variants, makes and types from £50 - £200 and I liked none of them through the orange (Vox is a different story mind)

BTW I run two boost pedals (SHO Clone and a catalinbread super chili picoso) I love the catalinbread. The fat switch fattens up my tele a treat both in the front and the effects loop. I also run a Greer fish press compressor because I am currently experimenting with compressors that have a decent boost on the them for solos.

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:

The amp is best on its own. I like to use the volume knob now. I use it constantly when playing. Though you dont get the same reaction with small movements as a decent Vox there is enough variation on the volume knob to go from Oasis to Foo Fighters when playing live.

Delays in to the front of the amp if the gain is on. Seems to work for some people though, I just sold my Mad professor deep blue delay on ebay. I like the sound but not into the front of the amp and I cant be arsed to mess about with effects loop live.

Fuzzes . I can get an awesome fuzz sound with the gain near maxed out and a tinker with the EQ. I honestly can not understand why you would need a fuzz with one of these amps (unless you are looking for a specific tone and put the pedal through the clean channel).

blackface

Re: DEFINITIVE ORANGE GUIDE TO: Overdrive/Boost/Dist/Fuzz Pe

Post by blackface » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:28 pm

i own a rockerverb 50 mkii and the pedal i love the most with it is the TUBESCREAMER TS-808 i never try the other tubescreamers but the 808 sounds super on the clean channel dimmed and for the lead on the drive channel...
wich pedals i dont like at all is all boss stuff except the overdrive and the super overdrive wich sounds really good too

TheWarLock

Post by TheWarLock » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi everybody!

I am new to the forum , and a happy owner of an Orange Rockerberb 100 mkIII.

I have tried a few overdirves/fuzzs with the amp.

Actually I hit the dirty channel with an Orange Bax Bangeetar to tweak the mids mainly and add some more gain. And boosting the Bangeetar I put a BlackArts Toneworks Black Forest. The Black forests gives clarity and opens a bit the sound. Also I can fine eq lows and highs with both pedals.

Combining both I get my main dirty sound.

I also get great results with the BlackArts Toneworks Pharaoh for some doom madness...

This and my custom made Warlkock with BKPU Warpig on the bridge and I am ready to summon Satan...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:03 pm

Orange AD30TC

I have a TC Electronics Nova Drive and a Voodoolab Proctavia

REASONS FOR YOUR CHOICE:
99% of the time I use only the second channel of the AD30TC for distortion but the Nova Drive I use for some over-the-top distortion and the Proctavia for a bit of a distorted fuzz octave sound.

Haven’t found any pedal that works with my older OR80M’s but these two above work well enough.