Rockverb 50 vs Rockerverb 50 combo

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BornUnderBadSign
Tiny Terror

Rockverb 50 vs Rockerverb 50 combo

Post by BornUnderBadSign » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:50 pm

I am the owner of a Rockerverb 50 combo and I might have an opportunity to trade straight up for a Rockerverb 50 head + PPC212... but I'm torn between the two. The idea of a head + cab setup is tempting but the combo has it's pluses. I prefer the ambiance of an open back cab. I already have a road case for the combo which is something I would not have after the trade. The reverb unit is better in the combo; and as far as the glass is concerned, I prefer my Tung-Sol to his JJ in the power section. I know three of these four things can be solved by spending a little bit of cash but that is something I don't have at the moment. Basically, I am looking for arguments for and against a straight up swap. Should I keep the combo or am I an idiot to pass.

(one more thing... don't bring resale value into the argument as I will be buried with my RV50).

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: Rockverb 50 vs Rockerverb 50 combo

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:56 pm

BornUnderBadSign wrote:I am the owner of a Rockerverb 50 combo and I might have an opportunity to trade straight up for a Rockerverb 50 head + PPC212... but I'm torn between the two. The idea of a head + cab setup is tempting but the combo has it's pluses. I prefer the ambiance of an open back cab. I already have a road case for the combo which is something I would not have after the trade. The reverb unit is better in the combo; and as far as the glass is concerned, I prefer my Tung-Sol to his JJ in the power section. I know three of these four things can be solved by spending a little bit of cash but that is something I don't have at the moment. Basically, I am looking for arguments for and against a straight up swap. Should I keep the combo or am I an idiot to pass.

(one more thing... don't bring resale value into the argument as I will be buried with my RV50).
I don't have experience with the RV amps, but how about asking him if he'd be willing to let you keep your tubes and put his in his? It's be fair in my book. At least that will remove one of your areas of doubt!
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:40 pm

The combo's a mammoth!!!!!

I have the RV50 head & ppc212 closed back, it's good. I don't play heavy metal, it doesn't sound too boomy, but the sound is more directional. The great advantage to having the separate cabinet is that if you want a different head in the future, your already have the cabinet.

Either you won't go wrong, you'll have a RV50!!!!!!!! :D
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:29 pm

I personally like having a head and cab. Even though it doesn't make much difference in weight (the combo and head are both heavy as hell (52 lbs for the head)). But having a head + cab has it's advantages. You can use multiple heads through your cab if you happen to acquire other heads. Plus if you ever get a bigger cab you can still use your RV50 head.

I've heard some people talk about the combo not being as reliable as the tubes are so close to the speaker or housed in the same compartment as the speaker or something. Not sure but somebody else here might be able to validate or put that to rest.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

BornUnderBadSign
Tiny Terror

Post by BornUnderBadSign » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:50 pm

These are all very good points and suggestions... I've still got some thinking to do but Les Paul Lover, you are right... either way I will have an RV50 so I can't go wrong there! :D

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Tip - Play the RV50 + 2x12 cab before you bother trading your RV50C for it. Get to know the differences first and if you like the bigger and more punchy sound, then go for it, if not, keep your combo. You can always get a 2x12 later and use your RV50C as a head. :)
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:31 pm

I'd do it. I like NOT having a combo - too much pounding on the tubes. Plus, if you really miss the open back - you could easily trade the closed back for an open back 2x12 based on where they're made alone.
Greg

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:43 am

i always say that if you have to convince yourself that you like something or that you want to do something, then you really don't like it.

however, this is a situation of trading apples for apples (actually oranges for oranges, hardy har!!) so in my opinion it comes down to a few questions:

1) how important is being able to use other heads and cabs. if you don't care that much about doing this than that would be a strike against trading

2) how important is the open back versus the closed cab. if you can sense a distinct difference between the open back 212 and the closed back, then decide which one you perfer

3) does it feel right? would you genuinely be happy or not?

i really like teddy's idea about the tube thing too
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Dlite95

Post by Dlite95 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:30 pm

CD9266 wrote:I've heard some people talk about the combo not being as reliable as the tubes are so close to the speaker or housed in the same compartment as the speaker or something. Not sure but somebody else here might be able to validate or put that to rest.
ya i have even heard that because the tubes run so hot and are so close to the speaker in the combo, they can actually melt the speaker cone if run for too long. I have never seen anything like this, but heard it from several people. So that is deffinitely something to take into consideration. Personally, I'd rather have the head and 212...
My Gear
Orange Rockerverb 50 head
Orange PPC212

2006 Les Paul Standard
2007 Fender stratocaster 1957 reissue

leeowensoas1

Post by leeowensoas1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:03 pm

OP, you mentioned the reverb is better on the combo? Do you (or does anyone) know why that would be? I'm going through a similar debate of head vs combo for my future RV, and I was leaning toward the head but if the combo has better verb that's something I'd wanna know haha

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:39 am

Got a feeling he won’t respond. But I think it uses a different tank.

leeowensoas1

Post by leeowensoas1 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:59 am

Huh, I find that really surprising, I was assuming that it would be identical. Anyone able to confirm or deny?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 pm

leeowensoas1 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:59 am
Huh, I find that really surprising, I was assuming that it would be identical. Anyone able to confirm or deny?
Dude - you are resurrecting a ten year old thread. Start a new one... typically, that screams spammer to me, but you seem legit so let's start a new discussion.